Alpha 15 unstable branch testing feedback

Started by Tynan, August 17, 2016, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Smokeleaf has its own downsides. Easier to make but more addictive, more performance hit.

They might be a bit imba, though, you're right. I'll be watching in A15. It's a bit late to change this now though.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ShadowTani

Quote from: Wintersdark on August 27, 2016, 06:13:06 AM
Decided to try Beer.  Build three casks in my brewing room (which has three coolers keeping it no higher than 23C), but during a heat wave when said room did not exceed 23-24C (3 coolers, 9x11 room counting the walls) still the wort "spoiled due to high temperature".

The way I did it to protect the brewing process was to put the fermenting barrels into my kitchen design. For logistic reasons I put the kitchen next to one of the freezer rooms and this make the kitchen rather cold under default temperatures, so much so that I put a heater in the room to prevent it from going under 10 C. During heat waves I simply open up the doors to the freezer to keep the kitchen under +30 C, usually it sits at a cozy 15-20 C under those conditions (it does affect the "freezer" negatively tho, but it fails to maintain freezing temps during heat waves even without the door being open, so I decided I don't care about it). I'm playing in an arid region with temps of 30 C being common outside heat waves. It helps to isolate your freezer room with double layer walls though.

Though I really wish there was some walls more specialized for isolating against temperature, building double walls doesn't look too good and one still have to use A LOT of coolers even for a "medium" 11x13 sized freezer in hot regions. Besides, building double thick walls is something I wouldn't known unless I frequented these forums.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: ShadowTani on August 27, 2016, 04:45:47 PM
Though I really wish there was some walls more specialized for isolating against temperature, building double walls doesn't look too good and one still have to use A LOT of coolers even for a "medium" 11x13 sized freezer in hot regions. Besides, building double thick walls is something I wouldn't known unless I frequented these forums.

Hrm, constructing Insulated Walls from Steel is a good idea.

mattocaster6

Hey Tynan, how long until the final Alpha 15 release is pushed out?

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: mattocaster6 on August 27, 2016, 04:55:44 PM
Hey Tynan, how long until the final Alpha 15 release is pushed out?

Soon™

(in all seriousness he probably doesn't even know other than soon. I believe he said this is a release candidate, so waiting on feedback and making sure it is bug free, then it will be released.)

Tynan

Let's try to focus on specific build feedback please, this isn't an open-ended suggestions thread. Thanks.

ShadowTani

Well, insulated walls aside, learning about how double layer walls can isolate against temperatures I think should at least go into the Learning Helper topics somehow - like being popped up when placing a cooler or heater the first time. It could be mentioned in the "Spoilage and freezers" subject too I guess, but it seems to be relevant for both cold and hot temperature management and not just freezers.

Because really, I didn't know about the double layer wall solution at all until just some days ago, and it made a huge difference when I partially implemented it in my colony design. I was too busy and inactive on the forums during the time when the coolers got introduced so missed that functionality entirely when I started playing again, thus I ended up with a lot of frustration with maintaining room temperatures that I'm sure new players and players not active on the forums is going to get simply because there's no way to know about that inside the game (as I'm aware about at least).

I'm sorry I didn't formulate it as proper A15 feedback to begin with as it got mixed up in trying to help the other guy with his temperature management.

crazybmanp

I feel like smokeleaf is pretty balanced already for me since the movement penalty makes all of it's users less efficient at doing stuff, its basically just a mood medication for me. Perhaps if it still needs to be balanced a debuff to manipulation could be done? (weed would make you less precise manipulating things)

Kaiser23k

Is it safe at this point to start a new game in this unstable branch without the worry of any more save breaking patches?

mcgnarman

Not sure if this is because of the unstable version (15.1277), but I had a jailbreak happen and after incapacitating the pawn I could only warden them (chat/talk) not re capture them or haul them back to bed.

So they just died off. I have a save of them incapacitated and unable to help them if you like.

I also just realized you updated to 15.1278, so not sure if you want the save now or not.

EDIT: here's the save anyway
https://mega.nz/#!kRhyQDwT!hXemGBGaszAq6XVwQ6jZR8ECVvB_2bjmY--wV1ZQwjY

kamenoitte

Quote from: mcgnarman on August 27, 2016, 07:27:11 PM
Not sure if this is because of the unstable version (15.1277), but I had a jailbreak happen and after incapacitating the pawn I could only warden them (chat/talk) not re capture them or haul them back to bed.

Haven't checked the save but likely caused by not rebuilding the door to the cell.

Tynan

So they just died off. I have a save of them incapacitated and unable to help them if you like.

I also just realized you updated to 15.1278, so not sure if you want the save now or not.

EDIT: here's the save anyway
https://mega.nz/#!kRhyQDwT!hXemGBGaszAq6XVwQ6jZR8ECVvB_2bjmY--wV1ZQwjY

I'm gonna look into this.

mcgnarman

Quote from: kamenoitte on August 27, 2016, 08:49:11 PM

Haven't checked the save but likely caused by not rebuilding the door to the cell.

The door wasn't broken down though. It was still physically there, as if they "picked the lock" or something. Unless I missed something where my colonists fixed something when I wasn't looking.

Tynan

Nah it's a bug, I'm fixing it. Pushing build in a few.

mcgnarman