Alpha 15 unstable branch testing feedback

Started by Tynan, August 17, 2016, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newcadence

Quote from: Michigo on August 18, 2016, 07:16:12 AM
Quote from: kanukki on August 18, 2016, 06:36:37 AM
Hey Tynan, I just started up and was a bit surprised to see drugs as 'marijuana' and 'coca'. I'm certainly not offended myself, but I imagine not all folks/govts/game ratings boards are as enlightened. I think Prison Architect (or some other game?) had to change the realistic names of the drugs to more fantasy names to avoid potential trouble.
Many older games have avoided real drug names for this very reason

The important question is:
Does it matter in 2016, or is it a problem of the past?
Be the change you want to see in the world?

puddytat

Hi there !

This is my first post lol after playing for so long.. And i think i really need to post this feedback cos its important.
Everything on the A15 is great except for the DRUGS.
Why Drugs ? Hate Drugs and i don't encourage it.
And it comes with Addiction. No no.. please don't.
You can replaced Drugs that buff combat as an Energy Drink example "Monster drink lll"
Or increase mood maybe a strong liquor like Whiskey etc. Even in GTA V i don't see my char taking Drugs to increase Combat.
I was really excited when i saw the A15 patch coming, but it instantly turn me off when i saw Drugs.
It give me nightmares when i think some of the mods in the future will have "Rape the visitors" when drugs is involved.
I am sure some of the fans here feel the same, i really hope Rimworld is not going to that Direction, it will definitely lose some fans.

I love Rimworld very much..
Please change away the Drugs its really not good.

Regards,
JP

Morthis

Is the Alpha 15 preview only available through Steam?  I picked up the game from the website rather than Steam after the steam key thing ended because I recall Tynan saying he prefers us using the website if we don't particularly care about having it on Steam since Valve doesn't take a cut from the sale then (and manually updating is only a minor hassle so I don't mind).  Would suck if I can't try out A15 early because of that though.

Deimos Rast

Quote from: puddytat on August 18, 2016, 12:53:49 PM
Hi there !

This is my first post lol after playing for so long.. And i think i really need to post this feedback cos its important.
You can replaced Drugs that buff combat as an Energy Drink example "Monster drink lll"
Or increase mood maybe a strong liquor like Whiskey etc. Even in GTA V i don't see my char taking Drugs to increase Combat.
I was really excited when i saw the A15 patch coming, but it instantly turn me off when i saw Drugs.
It give me nightmares when i think some of the mods in the future will have "Rape the visitors" when drugs is involved.
I am sure some of the fans here feel the same, i really hope Rimworld is not going to that Direction, it will definitely lose some fans.

I don't see him doing away with the drugs, since he wanted to take it in a Fallout-esque direction, with a whole quasi sub-culture based around it. The issue as I see it is real world more so, with ratings and such. I hear where you're coming from (I would also add Whiskey is a hell of a drug itself, albeit a more socially acceptable one, but that's another topic), but I think it fits in well enough with the gritty/grimey world of Rim. I won't comment on the "rape the visitors" comment, because I don't understand it and I can't see that ever becoming an event. I am sympathetic to your views though, and I'm not 100% on the drugs (but I think they were well done in the Fallout universe). But enough on that (back on topic).

More to the point about why I'm posting though: How do I go about getting a hold of the A15 branch for testing? Is it through Steam beta opt-in? I've only had RimWorld for about a week, so I'm not sure what the standard procedure is.
Cheers.
#StopPluginAbuse

newcadence

Hi there !

Regards,
JP

Apologies for the big quote, I'm on mobile and snipping would take too much effort.

In this game, you, the player, aren't the one taking the drugs. Your colonists are the ones taking the drugs and struggling with the addiction. It is up to your choices as a player to keep your colonists clean if that's what you want.

I think adding drugs and addictions is a great feature that improves the stories the game can make. I've said plenty of times to friends and family, a successful colony in Rimworld could be a Scifi novel. Worrying about drugs, addictions and chemical interests really makes me more attached to my colonists and feel more for their safety. Maybe it's because of my personal experiences, but seeing a cocaine addict in my colony is more impactful and sad than having a shooter with a missing lung.

As for your "rape" thing, I know it would never be added. Believe it or not most people aren't rapists, and I bet even the human butchers and minmaxers among us wouldn't use the feature just because of how morally conflicting it is.

I hope you understand.

Mudder

Drug comments. I also found marijuana itself a little immersion breaking (which is weird, corn didn't do that for me) but all in all, it's easy enough to change with mods.

I really like the beer fermenting process.

Colonists and food. They were going out of their way to avoid my simple meals and eating all my survival food (I was hoping to store it in case of disaster)... I then decided to go look at the code for that. Couldn't find it. Anyone know where that is?
I'm a freelance programmer/web developer that spends way too much time here rather than making money.

pdxsean

They are completely options. You don't have to produce them, the game will work just fine without them. For example, I've never built a brewery or grown hops, yet somehow I've managed to play the game for 600+ hours and do very well on Cassandra Classic Permadeath. 

Or increase mood maybe a strong liquor like Whiskey etc.
Really, alcohol is a drug. In some areas it is more acceptable than others, for sure, but it is a drug all the same. I live in Oregon where marijuana is legal, so for my area it is equal to alcohol in acceptability. There are parts of the world where cocaine and methamphetamine are legal. This is a fantasy world and offers a lot of opportunity. Tynan kept the consequences of drug use in the game - addiction, withdrawal, mood alteration both positive and negative.

Considering that slave trading and involuntary organ harvesting are common practices already in this game (and have been for years) I don't understand your moral outrage. I definitely find either of those practices to be far more socially dangerous than drug addiction. I personally don't engage in any of those practices when I play, but they are there for those who enjoy that sort of roleplaying. Similarly, mods are completely the player's choice. I've tried a few out, don't like them and I play vanilla. There's some evil mods out there for sure but that doesn't change how fun the game is for me.

To be fair I have dealt with addiction throughout my life (I am 44) and have lost friends and family members to drug addiction and overdose. It is a horrible thing and I have sympathy for your perspective in this area. However unlike in real life, in Rimworld you the player have the power to control drugs and their use. If you find them morally repellent, it's a simple thing to not involve them in your game. My confusion is that you're OK with slavery and organ harvesting but drugs and addiction are over the line. This is a game, a gritty and adult game, but still a game.

Siollear

Using realistic labels for drugs is a psychological trigger for people who are trying to avoid using them. And any addict, serious about recovery, wants to minimize exposure to these triggers.

While this is a minority of people in the world, a lot of addicts play video games due to both drugs and video games stimulating the same part of the brain responsible for addiction -- so you should consider this demographic.

puddytat

Looking at the comments I just Wow!
Sorry for my ignorance and over exaggerate feedback.

GG guys gg to the world..

pdxsean

Hey Tynan, this is a very basic colony with marijuana and coca growing. I have a drug lab but haven't been able to figure out how to get neutroamine yet for anti malatia production.

Anyway I will continue playing this save and will upload a further along game tonight, especially if I can get some real drugs going, but as it is this has the capability to produce joints and I've set up a joint regiment.

If I can I'll also try to get the deep mining going but it looks like that will take a while. Honestly all this focus on drug production and I've left my normal research path - and a few other things - pretty far behind where I'd like to me.

Also I hope uploading the file as an attachment here is appropriate.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

newcadence

Quote from: Siollear on August 18, 2016, 02:58:35 PM
Using realistic labels for drugs is a psychological trigger for people who are trying to avoid using them. And any addict, serious about recovery, wants to minimize exposure to these triggers.

While this is a minority of people in the world, a lot of addicts play video games due to both drugs and video games stimulating the same part of the brain responsible for addiction -- so you should consider this demographic.

This is a lot more understandable and respectful. Normally I'd say they should play a different game, but I think a game as good as RimWorld could benefit from being aware of these demographics. I think, rather than a toggleable pg mode, you can disable certain features in the options menu, like drugs or organ harvesting.

Obviously it's a good idea not to get too deep into this feature toggling system because you'll never be able to please everyone, but i still think a small toggle-menu would be beneficial to certain demographics.

newcadence

Quote from: pdxsean on August 18, 2016, 03:12:00 PM
Hey Tynan, this is a very basic colony with marijuana and coca growing. I have a drug lab but haven't been able to figure out how to get neutroamine yet for anti malatia production.

Neutroamine is from bulk goods traders. I had one come by with about 300 bottles of the stuff.

Franklin

Quote from: Michigo on August 18, 2016, 07:16:12 AM
Quote from: kanukki on August 18, 2016, 06:36:37 AM
Hey Tynan, I just started up and was a bit surprised to see drugs as 'marijuana' and 'coca'. I'm certainly not offended myself, but I imagine not all folks/govts/game ratings boards are as enlightened. I think Prison Architect (or some other game?) had to change the realistic names of the drugs to more fantasy names to avoid potential trouble.
Many older games have avoided real drug names for this very reason.

The important question is:
Does it matter in 2016, or is it a problem of the past?

It will likely still be a topic that a game explicitly allows you to make and use crack, even suggesting it can be positive to a degree. It's obviously an old issue, but it's still very much a taboo. Even games like GTA skirt what they actually call the drugs, or how often the name of the drug is mentioned if they use it, and it's almost always a topic with a non-positive tone. Marijuana and booze excluded, obviously.

I would echo what kanukki's suggesting and change the drug names so they less directly parallel real-world cultural concerns. Plus it's the year 2XXX so who knows what drugs people are into in the future, there's creative room for this.

pdxsean

Quote from: newcadence on August 18, 2016, 03:17:20 PM
Neutroamine is from bulk goods traders. I had one come by with about 300 bottles of the stuff.

Hmm, I thought that might be the case. I've only gotten one so far and he didn't have any. Looks like I need to build the comm center! Thanks for the tip, it's weird having played for so long but still having to learn things as I go.

CannibarRechter

On the topic, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with the others that all the drug names should be fictionalized.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects