Alpha 15 unstable branch testing feedback

Started by Tynan, August 17, 2016, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mag

Quote from: Tynan on August 18, 2016, 07:34:43 PM
While these are worthwhile discussions I am really still looking for general play feedback on balance and such.

Nobody's actually really tested a long-term drug-using colony so I don't know at all how it'd work out!

I tried this new alpha but my save got corrupted short after an update, so here what I have to say.
(I didn't have the time to try them, only tested the trade)
The drug are too expensive, you can get a lot of easy money just with the joints.
That component, required for some drugs, are only purchasable ? Because if you need to make drug with it because your colonists need it, I don't think there is enough traders or enough 'things' to buy. (If it's supposed to be late, why can we search these drugs so early ?)
And I find annoying the fact when you're making beer, the colonist don't put the bucket directly in the barrel, in a sens, it's like a storage.

That's the best I did, even if it's a really poor review.

ReZpawner

The drug system is okay, but Rimworld was never meant to just be an okay game. It feels...out of place and unfinished. I would like to see it be more useful though, for instance, make it possible to craft medicine from combining the different herbs.
Give us a reason for getting our colonists addicted, such as morphine addiction (just get some opium fields going, shouldn't  be too much of a stretch) after surgery, or medicinal use for those who have constant pain.

The medicine thing has felt missing in the past few versions of Rimworld, and I can only assume that it's planned in the near future anyway?

With the new drug system, I feel that you would also need some way to detox your colonists, other than just letting them run dry.
It would make sense for it to be a new use for normal medicine - requiring doctor's assistance to get them clean. Keeping up the treatments every so and so many hours. Much the same as the diseases that are already in the game.

It's also rather annoying that you can't use the hydroponics to grow drugs. I know you're not a massive fan of us who play on icesheets, but it would make sense to allow them to be grown hydroponically - at the very least weed, which is a common thing in real life anyway. 

drew509

so far like the update but with the maps do you just need the map or does it need to be a video?

Mudder

While we're on the topic of renaming, I must admit I was at first slightly turned off that all the crops were typical earth crops. Where did we get these dang seeds? Even in Fallout, we don't get normal crops.

Maybe this is just nitpicky, though why not make the default crops we get on the planet all alien and weird. Then through trading you could come across regular Earth seeds to plant that would be slightly more nutritious?

Anyhow. I'll give the update a go again, I got terribly wiped out by randy in the first two months.
I'm a freelance programmer/web developer that spends way too much time here rather than making money.

Jaxxa

Quote from: drew509 on August 18, 2016, 10:38:54 PM
so far like the update but with the maps do you just need the map or does it need to be a video?

The idea is that you upload the map and Tynan shoots a video on it.

Daman453

I am shocked that people are freaking out that there is drugs in rimworld. I mean, Fallout, GTA, almost any major game has drugs in it. I'm pretty sure you could disable drugs if you realllllllllllly bothered you, but you could skip it. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Back on topic:
I think that the drugs have a interesting system, if you look at fallout, then it's clear that it's a good place to create new game play systems. X-Cell, daytripper and psycho is examples of good drugs inside fallout that are unique and are noteworthy. Although, it feels barebones. There needs to be more drugs. Drugs that mess your people up. Drugs that increase a random stat. Drugs that level you up. (Glitterworld drugs?) I would also love if maybe that people don't know what's going on. (Eg, you butcher a human, everyone instantly knows. Eat a human meal and you have never tasted a human meal before, but you get angry anyway) So if you get a person that really likes that glitterworld drugs, you the player can stop it. But it would allow someone to find out, then try and stop that person. Or allow humans meals to be served, and no one bats the eye.... well in till they look into the freezer. Interventions, group chats, chats out in order to change ones way of thought. (eg, traits, skills) It's a world of possibility. 
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

Tynan

I'm thinking I will add a few more exotic drugs before release - see what I can do within the existing game systems without a lot more coding.

Of course further drug content can be added in future alphas.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Gadg3t

The learner alert thing should have a quality section showing  the rank of quality

I don't think beginners would know

awful<shoddy<poor< etc...

SimpleMachine88

The "Cover and Shooting" Tooltip has lots of errors

"The most important thing to do in ranged combat is to use behind cover
Cover only works if your colonist it touching it, and it is between your colonist and the and the enemy shooting at you .
You can also place colonist just behind wall corners.  They will lean to shoot out.
Most things can be used as cover, but some things are better than others.  Hiding behind a tree is better than nothing, but hiding behind sandbags is better than using a tree."

Reworded...

The most important advantage you can gain in ranged combat is better cover.  Cover only works if your colonist is touching it, and if it's between them and incoming fire.  There are several different types of cover, some better than others.  A tree offers some protection, but fighting from behind sandbags is preferable.  Colonists can also fire from just behind the corner of a wall.  They will lean out to shoot.  With any character selected, you can mouse over any potential target to display that character's chance to hit.

With some relevant info added at the end.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

LilN

I keep getting this error when loading up the game.

I completely wiped the pc of old RW files before installing the new unstable branch.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

LilN

Also with the build copy - not sure if I am doing it wrong but I can only build copy individual blocks, is there a way to select and build copy a whole room?

axeladalidez

Quote from: LilN on August 19, 2016, 06:28:59 AM
I keep getting this error when loading up the game.

I completely wiped the pc of old RW files before installing the new unstable branch.

You are not the only one , the same happens to me , is just a bug or something from the new build , remember that this is a development build!

Zachari

Hi Tynan,

Absolutely love the game, been playing since A12 and have spent more hours on it than I'd like to admit. Thanks for all the fun, mate! There, got the squealing fanboyism out of the way...

Just a heads up with the drug naming. I am from Australia. We are known for our very strict (and rather confusing) gaming classification laws. The classification board gets iffy with any specific references to drugs. Fallout 3, for example, had to change morphine into med-x to avoid being banned for sale in our country.

For peace of mind I'd suggest renaming all real world drugs into something slightly goofy (including weed as that stuff is mostly illegal here). Crack to hole, weed to chillaxer etc. I know those examples where lame, don't judge, I'm not that creative! Anything that isn't real life slang, I guess. Doing so should also placate some of the real life teetotalers.

Just some food for thought. I would be devastated if this fine game became region locked over something as trivial as drug names...

rafjaw5

i have a bit of a balance gripe today after starting something new. I rolled an amphetamine addict on rich explorer scenario, she started with a single fix which is fine with me. What i think is a bit weak is the withdrawal, after about three or four days she was completely clean of her addiction. Personally i never took drugs, but I am a smoker so I know how hard it can be to let go of your addiction. Just something to keep in mind while balancing the new alpha. Cheers :)