Alpha 15 unstable branch testing feedback

Started by Tynan, August 17, 2016, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReZpawner

Quote from: biship on August 26, 2016, 06:00:53 AM
Unity won't let you remove: (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37) ?
That file in that path won't exist for almost any users. (With the obvious exception of Tynan and the rest of the devs).

ReZpawner

Quote from: Ukanda on August 26, 2016, 06:24:16 AM
i cant load the game

here video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYnTeqEJm0&feature=youtu.be
and my save file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9qgmx0i7uidbha/Tribeman.rws?dl=0

Eh, no shit? Pardon my French.

Tynan made a post about it, explaining that the new version would break old savegames. This isn't a bug.

biship

Quote from: ReZpawner on August 26, 2016, 06:14:11 AM
Quote from: biship on August 26, 2016, 06:00:53 AM
Unity won't let you remove: (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37) ?
That file in that path won't exist for almost any users. (With the obvious exception of Tynan and the rest of the devs).
I'll reword for you.
Tynan, for release builds, can you suppress this repeating error from our log files: (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37) ?

ShadowTani

Quote from: Ukanda on August 26, 2016, 06:24:16 AM
i cant load the game

If you want to recover your save game you would have to spend a good hour replacing a bounch of stuff related to the new drug names. Like every instance of MarijuanaLeaves must be changed to SmokeleafLeaves, etc. etc. It's better to just start a new game, or wait until A15 officially releases and then restart.

I made my old save work that way as an experiment to see how capable I was of recovering a broken save myself without being told how to do it (like someone generously did earlier in this thread for another time the old saves broke in regards to the drug policy changes). This time I think it's unfortunately a bit too many factors that go into fixing up the save to provide a step by step guide for the average user however. And even for the more advanced user it might be better to just restart, because that was a long tedious hour+ of searching through and replacing stuff, lol. I'm sorry.

Bendigeidfran

No issues thus far, I'm just curious, what prompted the renaming of the drugs? Was there some kind of backlash about them in the game that features slavery and mass-murder or was it some other reason? It doesn't bother me, I'll just make a mod that changes them back since I like the authenticity it gives, I'm just wondering.

ReZpawner

Quote from: Bendigeidfran on August 26, 2016, 07:59:12 AM
No issues thus far, I'm just curious, what prompted the renaming of the drugs? Was there some kind of backlash about them in the game that features slavery and mass-murder or was it some other reason? It doesn't bother me, I'll just make a mod that changes them back since I like the authenticity it gives, I'm just wondering.

There were a few stoners complaining to high heaven about how the leafs weren't the useful part of the plant, and how it needed to be changed to the buds for accuracy and immersion. I can only assume that it's a smarter way to end that argument than what I would've done, which is to tell them to FO. Besides, there has been a number of people complaining about drug-use being portrayed in this good and wholesome family-oriented game, and how it 'totally ruined it'. Changing the names seem like the easier solution, than to take part in that ever-lasting argument.
This is of course, just an assumption, but I think it's likely to hold up.

CmdrKeem

A15 is feeling really good so far.  The extended brewing mechanic feels especially great.  What would be really nice is having a new limit instruction alongside "Do X times", "Do forever", "Do until you have X" called something like "Do until fermenting barrels are full", so far I've had to manually suspend and unsuspend the task whenever my barrels are full.  Of course, I may be missing something.

CannibarRechter

>  Changing the names seem like the easier solution,

I strongly agree with this. The American people are odd. We accept violence as not serious, generally, as a pretext for a story, but sex and drugs are forbidden. It's silly and irrational, but one isn't going to win the battle of attempting to rationalize the American people.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

kasnavada

Quote from: CannibarRechter on August 26, 2016, 08:44:27 AM
>  Changing the names seem like the easier solution,

I strongly agree with this. The American people are odd. We accept violence as not serious, generally, as a pretext for a story, but sex and drugs are forbidden. It's silly and irrational, but one isn't going to win the battle of attempting to rationalize the American people.

Nothing to do with american people at all. Most nations have the same issues. And don't "We american people".

Anyway, my rationalization of the issue is MUCH simpler.
- Violence is glorified. Everyone loves old and new warrior heroes of myth, from the Greeks of legends and even earlier to current "war heroes". Also, "successful", or surviving civilizations are those that beat up the others.
- Sex is private. I personally don't know why, but... there is next to no civilization that does not shun / shame sex in the "public sphere", even if it glorifies sex in "private". Which basically leads to most religions / people shun upon sex in the "public sphere". Even if it's a part of the world that always exists and always will.
- Drugs are mostly illegal in most of the world for a reason. Drugs that ain't illegal are called medecine and are reglemented. As a whole, illegal drugs (and quite a lot of the "reglemented ones") are bad ideas, only useful in specific uses at best.

Therefore the violence is ok, sex is bad, drug is bad. Another simpler rationalization I have is that people in charge, and civilization that last basically NEED some level of "violence is ok". Peaceful resistance is nice on paper... but does not work so well when armies of murderers try to kill you.

Basically I can't understand people that put drugs & violence & sex on the same level. It's not.

Games in general, changing the drug names allows:
- more freedom in effects,
- removal of all idiotic endless discussions of "people" that try to force their "drugs's bad mkay" or "drugs're fun mkay ?" agendas on unrelated topics => more time on the real game. Also there is generally some guy / gal that creates a mod with the "real" names in the first days after release.
- 3000 years ago druggies were probably eating mushrooms and munching leaves. This game is in 5500. It's not immersion-breaking to imagine that either the name of the plants changed (as most drugs tend to have many, many names) or that basically some better products have been found / manufactured (hence the new names).

Basically there are downsides to leaving the "real" names, none to remove them.

Franklin

Most with an issue with the re-naming also neglect to appreciate that many people carry psychological baggage with their own, relatable drug histories. People with PTSD don't play with guns, people who've recovered from addictions don't play with drugs. And while this game has a lot of gratuitous violence, which could be chalked up to cultural attitudes towards firearms and violence, it's not as obvious when a game includes casual drug use, abuse, addiction, mental collapse and domestic violence as a result of withdrawal, etc, etc.

Anyway, there's no easy solution to complex issues like these, which is why it's better to avoid unnecessary triggering for the sake of assuming it's some irrational cultural bias that people need to 'get over'.

Edit: I don't want to use the word 'triggered' because it's a dog whistle for a certain demographic of children, but it fits in this context as that's the subject.

Wintersdark

Played a full game though on the aug 25th build using "Learn to Play"; my feedback as a player who's got a couple games under his belt:

1) I'm not a new player anymore, but I'm also not extremely experienced.  While I already knew the stuff the tutorial teaches, it was well presented and helpful - it would have been a godsend in my first game.  I liked the system a lot.  I had however one (very minor) issue with how mine worked.  When it asked me to build a sandbag bunker, it gave a specific place to build it.  That was great; except it was actually unusable because there were trees and chunks in the places my troops would have needed to stand to actually use it when the raider attacked. 

Perhaps going into detail on how standing behind a chunk/tree behind a sandbag isn't ideal due to the amount of information you need to convey (you're getting the chunk/tree's cover bonus instead of the sandbag.)  Also, there's some confusion with it highlighting the places to stand (little circles) during the raider attack in spots where you can't actually stand because they're occupied by those objects. 

A good solution, IMHO, is at game start ensuring the "standing spots" inside where the game is going to want you to build the sandbag bunker are clear and empty.

2) I would like to see the Learning system have a little more detail in other topics, for example "Building a Freezer", "Soil Types for Farming", "Generating Power", etc.  This can wait, though, maybe grow the system going forward?   Regardless, it's a great system.

3) This may well be wholly an artifact of choosing Randy Random and Rough, but I went three full seasons without a single trader stopping by.  The Learning System took the time to tell me that being allied with factions will increase the odds of them sending traders, but did not tell me what sort of actions could increase my standing with a faction.  I know releasing prisoners can help, but I had several friendly factions (are they allied?  I don't know; I had green numbers) and those factions would very frequently send people "passing through" (roughly 8 times over the 3 seasons), but I couldn't interact with them - really, I should be able to chat them up as they pass by or something? 

4) I recruited a prisoner who turned out to have a GoJuice addiction and Smokeleaf dependency.  What's the difference between an addiction and a dependency?  I couldn't find this information anywhere in game.  Said prisoner had a few doses of each in his inventory, so I elected to supply him with one while he kicked the habit of the other to avoid truly massive mood debuffs, which seemed practical, though he hadn't fully kicked the GoJuice addiction before everything went south (in true Randy Random style).  It was a great touch, though; I love that you can choose to never use drugs, but you may well need to make them yourself if you want to recruit some pirates and such which are traditionally an easy source of colonists.  Good stuff.

5) Smokeleaf looks to be a pretty reasonable way to help control moods in the early game before you've got a really nice colony set up; being able to lead into binging and addiction and potential withdrawl if you can't sustain it is a great balancing factor that leads to great stories.  Bravo!

Lys

Quote from: Wintersdark on August 26, 2016, 12:20:32 PM
4) I recruited a prisoner who turned out to have a GoJuice addiction and Smokeleaf dependency.  What's the difference between an addiction and a dependency?
Technically I don't think there is a difference. You can not get physically addicted (just mentally dependant) on cannabis, which is why the phrasing is different.

Ambigore

Bug: When rescuing an escape pod survivor, there are actually two "medicine" tabs, one under Guest and the other under Health. The one under Guest was ignored when I selected  "Herbal medicine or worse" as I didn't want my doc to waste glitterworld medicine on a stranger. I had to select Health, then "Herbal medicine or worse". The Guest tab is either redundant or non-functional (at least for the medicine).

DariusWolfe

Ambigore: Isn't the "Guest" tab from the Hospitality mod?