How do I make my Alpha 9 Core Texture mods work in Alpha 14 Steam? (SOLVED!)

Started by Morgrav, August 17, 2016, 05:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgrav

It seems a lot has changed since alpha nine, and I am eager to try the new build.

I would like to include my personalized modified "core" textures, but the process seems to have changed.

Originally I just placed my Texture folder within the Core folder, but this doesn't work anymore.  Has the texture folder structure changed?

My search for tutorials gives me way too many contradictory instructions and results spanning quite a few years of alphas. The wiki about current folder structure seems to be unfinished.

What is the the current way to modify the vanilla texture files? 

Much appreciated.

kaptain_kavern

I'm not (and by far) an expert regarding texture and arts but here you can find a package with all the textures in game.

I think you can browse through in order to catch the folder structure

Morgrav

Thanks Kavern.  I downloaded quite a few of those last night, including the one from Tynan.  Unfortunately they lack any folder structure.

kaptain_kavern

Oh crap.

Again i'm not the expert about this here.
I think you can read the path to graphic in every xml (of the ThingDefs_xxxx files.) files under <graphicData> tags

Here from Core/Defs/ThingDefs_Buildings/Buildings_Art.xml

<ThingDef ParentName="SculptureBase">
    <defName>SculptureGrand</defName>
    <label>grand sculpture</label>
    <description>A car-sized piece of material sculpted into an artistic form.</description>
    <graphicData>
      <graphicClass>Graphic_Random</graphicClass>
      <texPath>Things/Building/Art/SculptureGrand</texPath>
      <drawSize>(4,4)</drawSize>
</graphicData>

Notice the <texPath> tags value

Morgrav

Ouch.  That's a lot of code to sift through for a folder structure. 

So That's the problem though?  Alpha 9 has a different texture folder structure than alpha 14?

kaptain_kavern

Oki think about something.
Following this link : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21440.0

You will find a listing of all the tags found in the XML files (thx again to Milon for compiling this doc). Using CTRL+F do a search for "texPath" and I'm pretty confident you'll find something useful. I'm sorry I can't check by myself ATM I'm on my phone :-p

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Morgrav on August 17, 2016, 08:00:10 PM
Ouch.  That's a lot of code to sift through for a folder structure. 

So That's the problem though?  Alpha 9 has a different texture folder structure than alpha 14?
Kind of.
From a simple <graphicPath>blabla</graphicPath> it went to
<graphicData>
   <texPath>blabla</texPath>
   <somethingelse></somethingelse>
   <etc></etc>
</graphicData>

Morgrav

So Bucketsmith, you're saying not only do I need to restructure the texture folders, I also have to add new XML code?

As I am just replacing existing core graphics, is there a way to copy and paste the current alpha 14 structure and code?

kaptain_kavern

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Morgrav on August 18, 2016, 08:11:29 AM
So Bucketsmith, you're saying not only do I need to restructure the texture folders, I also have to add new XML code?

As I am just replacing existing core graphics, is there a way to copy and paste the current alpha 14 structure and code?
I'm saying you'll have to edit the xml files, yes. You'll only have to change the folder structure if that's the case, which I don't know.
The errors should tell you, if you try to load it up.

Are you replacing core graphics for vanilla assets? Then maybe putting them in the right folders should be enough, as long as it is loaded after core in the mod list.

I tried linking you directly to the texPath page on that dropbox file, the resource thing that kaptain kavern linked to. But the URLs generated that way are always broken, because it generates the file locally.

Morgrav

Thanks Kavern and Bucket!  I will try to build my folder structure tonight using the info you provided.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Morgrav

Update:  SOLVED!

The texture folder originally labeled "humanoid" is now "humanlike"  that change solved the problem. The rest of the file structure seems to be the same so far.  Placing the "texture" folder with the "humanlike" alteration,  in the "core" folder will change the existing vanilla textures.

Thanks for the help guys! Much apprecciated!

Thanks guys for your help and prompt response!