Infestation again

Started by submarine, August 18, 2016, 10:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigo

Quote from: SimpleMachine88 on August 19, 2016, 02:01:43 PMThe safe place in rimworld is offplanet.

Until it isn't anymore.
Tynan won't rest til the very last safespace in his game is crushed. :D

RemingtonRyder

To deal with infestations I just did what Tynan suggested and had my colonists fight them with melee weapons.

Of course, this became a lot more viable in A14 when stacks of doom were nerfed, meaning that a narrow hallway can be a good chokepoint instead of a colonist suicide zone.

submarine

Just to be clear, I have no problem to beat a hive or anything else in that matter, Insects sieges and poisonships are the easiest to beat due bad agro AI anyway.

Normally I play outside with some self made restrictions.

-No turrets till year 3
-Multiple entrances.
-Open base. (not allowed to wall off large parts of my base)
-No self build choke points.
-Single buildings
-No cheese alowed in any form. ( so much cheese in this game)

All to make the game more interesting and force me to be way more aggressive against treats then needed when building a "good base"

Is the mechanism behind Infestations I dislike, I thought I did explain that pretty clearly but then again my English isn't the best and I have a bit off trouble to put my thought into words.

Shurp

Quote from: lorebot on August 18, 2016, 11:34:38 PM
My problem is that they only burrow through where you've carved out solid rock...and that's dumb. Why don't they burrow up to the surface anywhere else? Why can't they pop up outside cave areas in the wild? I don't mind the infestations, I just wish they made more sense.

The bugs want to stay underground.  They know they're vulnerable out in the open.  That's why they live underground in the first place.  They just happened to be digging a tunnel through the mountain when they accidentally popped into your base.

Note that if you dig lots of mining tunnels in the rock around your base, the odds of the bugs showing up in your base drop rapidly.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.