Mod causes SIGSEGV fault on Linux, runs fine on Windows. (A14)

Started by Draconicrose, August 18, 2016, 06:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconicrose

I've tried this mod on both Windows and Linux. On Windows it runs fine, on Linux it causes the game to crash when a pawn attempts to build something marked by the designator. There is an old log here as currently my Linux version has decided that writing logs is for chumps (some permissions issue I'm sure), however that old log is for the exact same problem.

My question here is, could this be something I could fix myself, as the mod author seems MIA? If so, could I be pointed in the right direction?
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

Deimos Rast

just chiming in to say I had the same problem on Linux.
As for the log, where is it located usually (steam version)? Spent an hour looking for it, to no avail.
#StopPluginAbuse

CannibarRechter

Weird. It should be impossible for the dot net environment to crash unless it's calling external libraries or unmanaged code perhaps. Writing code that "can" crash is a cardinal sin in a runtime environment. And I don't mean throw exceptions.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Draconicrose

The Rimworld log for the Steam Linux version is at "~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Player.log"

CannibarRechter

SIGSEGV reasons can't usually be logged. SIGSEGV meant the program attempted to address memory not in the region of memory authorized by the operating system. When this happens in a program that's not calling external C in normal interpreters, it's per se a bug in the runtime environment (e.g., the CLR). I've never written DOTNET unmanaged code, though, so perhaps it can be caused by that.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

milon

If it's only that mod that causes problems, please inform the mod author - they're the best person to fix the issue.

If everything checks out and there "shouldn't" be any problems with the mod itself (indicating a bug in RimWorld itself), then the mod author should report it as a Bug in the Bugs forum.

The Mod Bugs forum is best for dealing with mod combinations and discovering which mod or mod combination causes errors.  Most mod authors don't actively check here for problems with their mods (AFAIK).

Draconicrose

I did report to the mod author, but they seem to be missing or just don't care about the mod. That's why I was asking if there's anything I could do to get it to work.

The mod works beautifully on Windows, but this isn't the first time I've had issues with mods working on Windows but screwing up on Linux/MacOS. That makes me suspect something is weird in the way the game engine interfaces with Mono, but I don't know enough about the subject to start digging in.