Tips and tricks for surviving on a ice sheet?

Started by cell, August 18, 2016, 08:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cell

Hello everyone,

I have tackled the ice sheet a couple times and failed horribly. Any tips or tricks you guys have for long-term survival on a ice sheet biome?

Shurp

1) Grow potatoes in gravel patches.
2) Research stone block construction as quickly as possible, so you can stop wasting steel on walls.
3) strip corpses of parkas.
4) You may want to skip vents and just place heaters directly in bedrooms.  (The rest of your base can remain minimally heated if you have parkas)

I assume you already have played tundra maps and know how to survive in Rimworld in general.

Oh, one other tip: start on a large map, so you have plenty of steel to mine.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

SimpleMachine88

The greatest danger on the ice sheet is colonists mental problems causing them to go into a daze.  If they take off their clothes, they will die.  You really can't afford any colonists with mental problems whatsoever.  The eventual goal is to get hydroponic rice going, and to tunnel into a mountain, once you've got that, you should be okay.  One trick I've used is to raise wild boars.  I teach them to haul, have them haul corpses into their cave as their food, and when they're grown, I have them march to the kitchen to be eaten, so my colonists never have to go in there.  This avoids all mood debuffs, but maintains the tribes as a valuable meat source. 

But until then, you're going to have to try to subsist off gravel potatoes and longpig.  Start your base around a geyser, if at all possible.  Get parkas. 

Shurp

Beer will partially solve your mood problems (when you get to it).  Wood logs solve the other half.  If one of your colonists starts stripping, the other colonists just beat him senseless and then carry him off to the infirmary.

But good point, you don't want your starting colonists to have mood disorders.  That's just extra trouble when you can't afford it.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Rafe009

Nutrient paste dispensers should be vital in the sense that they use less food input to generate a meal leaving you more food overall and requiring less labor to generate food.