[A16] Psychology (2017-5-14)

Started by System.Linq, August 19, 2016, 07:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

System.Linq

Updated to 2016-8-20 v2.

Greatly increased the threshold at which Insomniac pawns will attempt to sleep, so that they will not stand around idle until they pass out.

Nictis

I'm probably misunderstanding a point, but does this work with Killface's Bisexuality mod? And if so, does it double the odds of a colonist being Bisexual?

I saw that you got the idea from him, but I wanted to make sure that they weren't going to stop each other or double up on me.

System.Linq

Quote from: Nictis on August 21, 2016, 02:24:22 AM
I'm probably misunderstanding a point, but does this work with Killface's Bisexuality mod? And if so, does it double the odds of a colonist being Bisexual?

I saw that you got the idea from him, but I wanted to make sure that they weren't going to stop each other or double up on me.

e: Looking at Killface's code, it appears he restructured it since I released my mod and they now use the same TraitDef, so there should be no problems.

SirBambiLover

this mod stops my pawns from socially interacting with each other, not sure if it confllicts with other mods that i have, but it think thats not the reason because i noticed that in a new game my pawns would never talk so i tried disabling this mod and restarted the same save game again and sure enough, they started talking immediatley. i'd be glad if you could look into this and thy to fix this if you can, thank you
-M

System.Linq

Quote from: SirBambiLover on August 21, 2016, 09:26:02 AM
this mod stops my pawns from socially interacting with each other, not sure if it confllicts with other mods that i have, but it think thats not the reason because i noticed that in a new game my pawns would never talk so i tried disabling this mod and restarted the same save game again and sure enough, they started talking immediatley. i'd be glad if you could look into this and thy to fix this if you can, thank you
-M

That sounds like a conflict, because my pawns have no trouble interacting. I recommend you turn on developer mode, enable Psychology, and try and see if any errors show up in the log.

System.Linq

Updated to 2016-08-21.

New Traits
- Outdoorsy: This pawn enjoys spending time in the open. They get a mood boost when there's no roof above their head.
- Pluviophile: This pawn simply likes the sound and feel of rain, and will receive a mood bonus from it.
- Photosensitive: This pawn, either through gene modding or random mutation, has eyes that are extremely sensitive to the light. They will be very unhappy at being exposed to it.

New Thoughts
- Passionate Work: Pawns will be a little happier while doing something they have a burning passion for. (idea credit ({x}) Disarray)

Chibisuke

raiders with new traits body just disappears with this mod on? or is it just me?

System.Linq

Quote from: Chibisuke on August 22, 2016, 05:32:25 AM
raiders with new traits body just disappears with this mod on? or is it just me?

That sounds like a bug, I've seen it in testing before. Make sure you are updated to the latest version, or else turn your development console on and post what errors you get when they disappear. It usually has to do with a Null Pointer Exception in one of the ThoughtWorkers while it's generating the corpse, which causes it to cancel generation.

Adventurer

Excuse me, Psychology, I have some feature requests to make.

I think you should expand on the idea brought forth by Killface's Bisexual mod regarding the ugly reacting with more sympathy towards other ugly pawns. This can be expanded to all sorts of antisocial perks in which those with the same or similar social problems bond better to one another.

In addition, whether a pawn is affected negatively or not by another person's psychopathy could wholy depend on their psychic sensitivity, a good mechanic to represent whether someone is just plain 'weirded out' by someone without really knowing why. Those who are psychically insensitive would not feel any discomfort at all, most pawns would be just a little uncomfortable but nothing too noticeable, and those very sensitive would not feel comfortable about said pawn at all.

System.Linq

I considered creating an actual psychologist job as part of the mod. If I decide to go the route of hiding traits (which would probably be difficult to implement) I will likely set up a "therapy" job which your pawns will get a slight mood boost for attending and which will have a chance of revealing traits. I'll consider more interactions between pawns based on traits but it would probably involve overwriting a lot more of the base game and right now I am focusing on adding features that don't conflict with other mods.

Adventurer

Oops, I made a reply that was essentially everything Psychology said a little after the fact. I deleted it.

System.Linq

Updated to 2016-08-22.

Attempted to fix a difficult-to-reproduce bug that caused pawns to disappear when killed.

System.Linq

Updated to 2016-08-22 v2.

Definitively fixed pawns disappearing upon death.

System.Linq

Updated to 2016-08-23.

Addressed more bugs that can cause pawns to disappear on death. Greatly reduced the frequency of panic attacks for pawns with Anxiety.

New Traits
- Party Animal: This fun-loving pawn is great at parties, and so your colony will hold them more often as long as they're around.
- Desensitized: This numbed pawn no longer gets mood penalties for witnessing death or observing corpses. They will still be upset by colonists' deaths in general, and by other moral outrages. This trait can potentially be gained during play whenever a pawn sees someone die or looks at a body.

makkenhoff

I was really excited when I saw this mod, many of these traits do seem in the flavor of Rimworld too. Though, personally, I do think a psychologist or counselor might have a role to play in a colony, I don't think we need to hide personality traits from the overlord - perhaps you could use an object, as a sort of "office" to help work out mental health issues? Technically, it would be "caring" so you could use the doctor skill, as well as disable the job for uncaring pawns; similar to how two pawns might play the same chess board, have them both sit, and results in a small positive mood buff.