[A16] Psychology (2017-5-14)

Started by System.Linq, August 19, 2016, 07:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyna Tiona

The sabotage event. Is. Awesome. Like, mechanically it's super infuriating and I would not want it to exist with permadeath, but the narrative it just created was incredibly satisfying.

System.Linq

Thank you! I put a lot of effort into it, I thought it was really cool, it's gratifying that you liked it and got a good story out of it. It's got a bug right now that disables one of the sabotage actions. After the update it should be even more mysterious.

Kyna Tiona

Quote from: Psychology on January 03, 2017, 07:39:55 PM
Thank you! I put a lot of effort into it, I thought it was really cool, it's gratifying that you liked it and got a good story out of it. It's got a bug right now that disables one of the sabotage actions. After the update it should be even more mysterious.

Excellent. As it stands, I had few enough people in a small enough space that I kinda suspected what was going on before it happened. Dunno if it being harder to spot would make it less fun ("What! Where did that come from?!") or even better ("Gasp! It makes perfect sense!"). Guess it depends heavily on context and player preference~

System.Linq

Oh, did you get the sabotage event when you were raided? Here's a tip: You can trigger it early by finding and arresting the colonist.

Kyna Tiona

Kyna Tiona

I am honestly not liking the cruel synergy between "colonist quarrel" and "cliques formed". You can have a colony where everyone is friends with everyone, then the RNG hits and suddenly they're at each other's throats. It doesn't feel human at all.

EDIT: I just had a colonist start a social fight over "enemy of my clique", despite her being at +35 towards the other colonist and the other colonist being +65 towards her. I notice that her clique social penalty is -10, while the other clique member gets -20. Is this to do with purposeful mod settings, or is the social fight mechanic a little more nonsense than I thought it was?

At this point this is honestly feeling less like a social dynamics thing and more like a high-intensity psychic drone attack...

EDIT: Annnnnnnd there's a fatality. Among characters that were all sitting at +40 - +100 before the "colonist quarrel"s and "clique formed" happened. This is now a bigger blight to my play experience than surgery fail chances. = /

hwfanatic

Hi!

May I point you to this discussion about a strange problem with hold door behavior? https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29057.0
Do you think it could be problem with one of your detours? Just asking. Thanks.

Love

Quote from: hwfanatic on January 04, 2017, 12:40:21 PM
Hi!

May I point you to this discussion about a strange problem with hold door behavior? https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29057.0

The behavior is intended. It means one of your colonists is a saboteur.

Personally I think the saboteur thing needs to go because so many people mistake it for a bug.

System.Linq

Quote from: Caraise Link on January 04, 2017, 03:14:00 AM
I am honestly not liking the cruel synergy between "colonist quarrel" and "cliques formed". You can have a colony where everyone is friends with everyone, then the RNG hits and suddenly they're at each other's throats. It doesn't feel human at all.

EDIT: I just had a colonist start a social fight over "enemy of my clique", despite her being at +35 towards the other colonist and the other colonist being +65 towards her. I notice that her clique social penalty is -10, while the other clique member gets -20. Is this to do with purposeful mod settings, or is the social fight mechanic a little more nonsense than I thought it was?

At this point this is honestly feeling less like a social dynamics thing and more like a high-intensity psychic drone attack...

EDIT: Annnnnnnd there's a fatality. Among characters that were all sitting at +40 - +100 before the "colonist quarrel"s and "clique formed" happened. This is now a bigger blight to my play experience than surgery fail chances. = /

The clique social penalty is -20 for clique leaders against other clique leaders, and -10 for clique members against anyone else that's part of the other clique. The clique leaders are the ones driving the clique, so they're the ones you need to take care of to stop the infighting. How you do that is up to you; colonists will only fight on behalf of clique leaders that they are friends with, and clique leaders have to be on the map (and alive) for any fights to break out. Clique members at a positive relation to each other are much less likely to fight. Anyone at +50 opinion shouldn't do it at all -- so the +35 colonist was probably the one responsible.

However, I've gotten a lot of feedback of this nature, so the next version will reduce clique fights by 75%, and also stop colonists from fighting if they are friends with both clique leaders. That should make them more manageable. As to the synergy, well, I've been in enough communities to say it's pretty realistic.

Quote from: Love on January 04, 2017, 01:17:07 PM
Quote from: hwfanatic on January 04, 2017, 12:40:21 PM
Hi!

The behavior is intended. It means one of your colonists is a saboteur.

Personally I think the saboteur thing needs to go because so many people mistake it for a bug.

Sabotage isn't going anywhere, it's a great incident that challenges people to pay more individual attention to their pawns and change what they think they know about the game. However, I may make it an opt-in setting, so that only people who know to look for aberrant behavior of some kind will experience it.

hwfanatic

Many thanks for the explanation and for your work on the mod. I didn't know it was a thing. :) Turned out I had a saboteur much later.

System.Linq

Updated to 2017-1-4. This update is largely tweaks and bugfixes, no new features.

System.Linq

Updated to 2017-1-4 v2. This is a quick compatibility fix for surgery mods (like Less Arbitrary Surgery).

Jin Hai

Amazing mod, just got two questions.
Is there anyway the Kinsey scale could be compatible with Prepared Carefully?
And is there any definition on Default, Central, and Polarized settings for it?

System.Linq

Default is default. Central weights the scale to the center (3, equal bisexuality). Inverse weights the scale to the other end (6, exclusively homosexual).

The Kinsey scale is compatible with Prepared Carefully but you can't set your colonists' sexualities, if that's what you mean. I don't know how difficult that would be to add. It's probably something that's easier for Prepared Carefully to do.

neobikes

After Berserk i got Anxiety Severe.
How do i get rid of it forever?
or Will it stay with my colonist forever?

PS. i read previous posts... now i know that it takes good doctor and medicines to lower it to "managed" so it only takes 0.5