[A16] Psychology (2017-5-14)

Started by System.Linq, August 19, 2016, 07:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

System.Linq

Updated to 2017-1-10. Tantrums are fixed and behave better; tantruming pawns will be marked guilty when they go to destroy something, too.

New Incidents
- Thief: Colonists and pets may spot thieves attempting to sneak into your base and steal valuables, who won't leave without a fight!

kcirdor

The compulsive cleaner incident feels more like my friend that takes adderall to "help" her clean her house more than someone that is compulsively cleaning. 

It seems a compulsive cleaner wouldn't pick random spots far away from each other.  They would instead hunker down in a room and make that room spic and span meticulously before moving to the next room.  And/or possibly clean a already clean room if they see one spot of dust.

Now watching my friend take an adderall and then focus on cleaning the house, she will be in one room for a moment, then she will suddenly create a new task on the other side of the house make a pile there and then suddenly she is in a totally other room creating an entirely new "organizational" task in that room. The house goes through a whirlwind of getting progressively worse before it ever starts looking organized and clean.  So it ends up taking her like 6 hours to do something she can do in probably 2 to 3 hours if she didn't have these scatterbrained adderall cleaning sessions.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Psychology on January 10, 2017, 04:22:31 PM
Updated to 2017-1-10. Tantrums are fixed and behave better; tantruming pawns will be marked guilty when they go to destroy something, too.

New Incidents
- Thief: Colonists and pets may spot thieves attempting to sneak into your base and steal valuables, who won't leave without a fight!

After this update my save broke. I think it might be related to combat realism, but as soon as someone gets the "thief" hediff, saves are no longer able to load.

Log attached; this was after loading a save that was before this update, applying the "thief" hediff, saving, then loading

Note: Removing the Thief made the save viable

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Kyna Tiona

Quote from: kcirdor on January 10, 2017, 05:22:42 PM
The compulsive cleaner incident feels more like my friend that takes adderall to "help" her clean her house more than someone that is compulsively cleaning. 

It seems a compulsive cleaner wouldn't pick random spots far away from each other.  They would instead hunker down in a room and make that room spic and span meticulously before moving to the next room.  And/or possibly clean a already clean room if they see one spot of dust.

Now watching my friend take an adderall and then focus on cleaning the house, she will be in one room for a moment, then she will suddenly create a new task on the other side of the house make a pile there and then suddenly she is in a totally other room creating an entirely new "organizational" task in that room. The house goes through a whirlwind of getting progressively worse before it ever starts looking organized and clean.  So it ends up taking her like 6 hours to do something she can do in probably 2 to 3 hours if she didn't have these scatterbrained adderall cleaning sessions.

This is a base RimWorld thing, actually. It's not super noticeable when you're spreading janitor work around, but I'm regularly gritting my teeth at designated janitors cleaning in hideously inefficient ways.

Pretty sure it started in A16 when they changed cleaning into a batch job to make the prioritize function more useful on it. Cleaning areas instead of single cells is definitely nice, but I don't think it does a good job of deciding which area to clean next.

b4d

how do i cure homesickness?

got 3 colonist at home and 1 other sent away camping on a nearby map. the one that was feeling homesick was 1 out of the 3 at home

Colonist51

So I've been using this mod for a while, even though it did spice up my game I decided it's just not worth it. I've reached the point when my colonists would fight each other few times a day due to "cliques" alone, which as a result triggered a chain reaction leading to more fights because of all kinds of grudges against each other. So my colony basically became a melting pot of resentful egomaniacs, until a bunch of rabid boomrats attacked and burned the whole place down because my angry colonists were too busy fighting each other to be able to defend the colony.

Once again, kudos for the work you've done on this mod. But this is just not my cup of tea.

Dwightojo

I had the same problem with cliques but i just sent one clique off to start a new base on the tile next to the one my colony was in. The only problem i have now is that another clique war is brewing. By the way is there any way i can completely cure anxiety?

System.Linq

Updated to 2017-1-10 v2. Fixes saving.

Quote from: Diana Winters on January 10, 2017, 07:04:38 PM
After this update my save broke. I think it might be related to combat realism, but as soon as someone gets the "thief" hediff, saves are no longer able to load.

Log attached; this was after loading a save that was before this update, applying the "thief" hediff, saving, then loading

Note: Removing the Thief made the save viable

Sorry for leaving your save out to dry; after this update was finished I pretty much went to bed immediately. I don't use Combat Realism, so give it a try and let me know what you get.

Quote from: b4d on January 10, 2017, 11:17:32 PM
how do i cure homesickness?

got 3 colonist at home and 1 other sent away camping on a nearby map. the one that was feeling homesick was 1 out of the 3 at home

Quarantine the affected individual(s). It will occasionally spread to anyone they have a deep talk with. Based on feedback on this incident I am going to nerf it so that people who are already homesick cannot get more homesick; then it's just a matter of making sure they aren't re-infected after they get over it.

Quote from: Colonist51 on January 11, 2017, 03:05:48 AM
So I've been using this mod for a while, even though it did spice up my game I decided it's just not worth it. I've reached the point when my colonists would fight each other few times a day due to "cliques" alone, which as a result triggered a chain reaction leading to more fights because of all kinds of grudges against each other. So my colony basically became a melting pot of resentful egomaniacs, until a bunch of rabid boomrats attacked and burned the whole place down because my angry colonists were too busy fighting each other to be able to defend the colony.

Once again, kudos for the work you've done on this mod. But this is just not my cup of tea.
I'm sorry to hear that. Here's a few stats on cliques:

In order for someone to be in a clique, they must have +20 relationship (be friends) with the clique leader.
Clique members will only fight members of the other clique.
Clique members will never fight anyone they have a higher opinion of than the clique leader.
Clique members will never fight someone if they are both friends with both clique leaders.
Clique members have a 5% base chance to start a fight whenever they interact with a member of a different clique.
They have a 0%-100% multiplier chance based on their opinion of the pawn, from +50 to -100.

If you're using the latest version it shouldn't really be starting multiple fights a day unless your colony is deeply divided along those lines. Also, as Dwightojo said, you can neuter a clique by removing its leader from the map, by sending them on a caravan, killing them, or even just cryptosleeping them might work, whereupon clique members will lose their loyalty to him/her. If someone deeply unpopular starts a clique against someone deeply popular, the choice should be obvious. The event lasts 35 days; afterwards, the clique leader thought should disappear which means pawns will stop fighting.

Quote from: Dwightojo on January 11, 2017, 03:08:31 AM
I had the same problem with cliques but i just sent one clique off to start a new base on the tile next to the one my colony was in. The only problem i have now is that another clique war is brewing. By the way is there any way i can completely cure anxiety?

Cliques will only form every couple of years, and only if the conditions are right. They're currently marked as a small threat with an extremely low chance of firing; you're way more likely to get an insane animal.

You cannot cure anxiety, only reduce it to a manageable level that will not have a significant effect on your pawns.

coldcell

Ever since I use the mod, I notice breakups happen a lot. I'm not sure why.. But my 1 colonist is in perma state of breaking because he broke up with 3 women in succession. Any suggestions how to avoid this?

System.Linq

The mod doesn't affect how often pawns break up other than giving them more reasons to dislike each other. If he has a negative thought he's probably the one being broken up with: maybe he's just a jerk?

Ways to give your colonists better relations with each other are on the list.

Cl3arSky

one of my guys, slit his wrists because his fiance died, sadly i had no way to actually treat him and he was gonna bleed to death in 9 hours. He was also anxious or whatever.. so I had to capture him and put him in a prisoner bed which kicked him out of the community meaning I'd have to re-recruit him. It was the only way to stop his bleeding. Any idea if i can do this any other way?

System.Linq

Quote from: Cl3arSky on January 11, 2017, 06:53:47 PM
one of my guys, slit his wrists because his fiance died, sadly i had no way to actually treat him and he was gonna bleed to death in 9 hours. He was also anxious or whatever.. so I had to capture him and put him in a prisoner bed which kicked him out of the community meaning I'd have to re-recruit him. It was the only way to stop his bleeding. Any idea if i can do this any other way?

You can just release him, you don't have to re-recruit him.

Kyna Tiona

Quote from: Psychology on January 11, 2017, 08:10:02 PM

I went sooooo long without realizing it worked that way. Wish the UI changed to make it clear that released colonists automatically rejoin. >_<

EDIT: Er - in vanilla, not to do with Psychology specifically.

Der Failer

Quote from: Caraise Link on January 11, 2017, 08:17:55 PM
Quote from: Psychology on January 11, 2017, 08:10:02 PM

I went sooooo long without realizing it worked that way. Wish the UI changed to make it clear that released colonists automatically rejoin. >_<

EDIT: Er - in vanilla, not to do with Psychology specifically.
Wait what?!

*drops everything and leaves the room*

Kyna Tiona