Surgery needs a buff/rework badly

Started by JaxelT, August 19, 2016, 04:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

Quote from: lorebot on August 19, 2016, 05:59:13 PM
This was only the case because of the conditions under which surgery was performed. In most cases battlefield surgery in that era was done in a tent without any sort of sterile environment, and often without even sterile tools. There were simply far too many wounded to keep up with and they didn't have time to take even basic precautions at most battles. The weather and environments didn't help matters much. Most of the places that saw battle during the conflict were in the south where it was humid and hot which only made it easier for infections to set in.

Fool! On the Rim, everyone subscribes to the Robert Liston school of surgery!
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Liston)

twoski

Making surgery not suck sounds like a straightforward coding project. If someone can give me a succinct list of things that should happen on failure etc. i could try doing it myself.

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: twoski on August 20, 2016, 07:41:03 PM
Making surgery not suck sounds like a straightforward coding project. If someone can give me a succinct list of things that should happen on failure etc. i could try doing it myself.
The most common should be extra bleeding and infection. Losing a limb by just cutting it off during surgery is insane, but it's realistic that a surgery could result in an infection that might require an amputation if the infection gets out of hand.

eadras

Medicine does seem to be a huge part of the surgery success chance.  I never use herbal meds for surgery, it's just asking for disaster.

The doctor's sight and manipulation seem to be very important to surgery success, too.  Upgrading your doc with bionic eyes and hands is a great investment... if a bit risky, depending on the skill of your second best doctor.  Use glitterworld meds and cross your fingers!

Sanaart

Quote from: Schwartz on August 19, 2016, 10:41:29 PM
Yep, there should be some safety net. Like being able to fix up a botched surgery with another investment of medicine and time. And not losing your expensive bionic parts to 'minor' failures, that one really irks me the most. The system as it is now heavily encourages savescumming and that's not fun for anyone.
Yes I very much dislike this! I don't save scum to avoid injuries, it's just losing the parts... It makes no sense to me I'd lose a bionic arm if the error was probably caused during amputation anyway.

Peng Qi

Amputations:
1. Reinfection of adjacent area.
2. Illness.

Transplants:
1. Organ rejection (requiring another transplant within a week or so).
2. Infection.

carbon

I wanted to echo Eadras's comment about boosting doctoring stats. In A13 at least, it was perfectly possible to get a Surgeon with >100% chance of successful surgery using bionics and making sure they didn't lose any of their important bits to combat.

Typically your first round of bionics should be given to your best surgeon (by your second best surgeon) to eliminate the chance of future losses.

Wex

Bleeding and infection is the main risk here, bleeding has an early onset, infection a late one; this means that a failed surgery can be visible DAYS after the deed, with an infection running rampant in the body.
Also there can be botched surgery (wrong leg to amputate pal) but they should be rare and related to the work; you can stab your scalpel in the brain of your fellow colonist, if you are trying to implant a bionic eye; if you are severing a finger with a carcinoma, removing the liver by mistake is simply stupid -> you can have the hand removed instead.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

SpaceDorf

Quote from: carbon on August 21, 2016, 10:32:28 AM
I wanted to echo Eadras's comment about boosting doctoring stats. In A13 at least, it was perfectly possible to get a Surgeon with >100% chance of successful surgery using bionics and making sure they didn't lose any of their important bits to combat.

Typically your first round of bionics should be given to your best surgeon (by your second best surgeon) to eliminate the chance of future losses.

I would actually do it the other way around. The best surgeon is less likely to botch the operations and depending how far they are apart this should bring the second doctor to a equal or better level than Doc Nr. 1

------

But yeah, I savescum too if the lvl 17 surgeon kills a pawn and destroys equipment worth 3 times more than a slave.
And its one of the reasons for me not to play survival mode ... because I don't see those situations as cheating, when the mechanism is clearly broken.

As for the DF kind of Fun. No Drunken Bearded Surgeon of mine ever fucked up this bad.
But I felt of course right at home, when my worst surgeon with a missing eye tried to operate while being drunk.

------

As far as coding projects go for Rimworld, there is the career page on the main site.

https://ludeon.com/blog/studio/careers/

Maybe this should be linked onto the forum as a sticky, and maybe a clear statement by Tynan himself about the outsourcing of code.

The main problem if he would outsource code would be that he had to proof read and test everything, which would end up more time consuming than writing stuff himself. Also writing up and checking specifications for that kind of work is also very time consuming. ( and yes, I have a Degree in Computer Science and worked big projects before, so I know what I am talking about :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Tyriq

I usually multiply surgery success stat by 10000% in the starting menu. It's unbalanced, but so is cleanly removing a spine when amputating a finger.

twoski

I fixed these problems in my mod.  Click the link in my sig!

Icarus

I had a doctor screw up installing bionic eye and remove a sniper's spine.

A SPINE. WHILE INSTALLING EYE.
Surgery needs to be redone either way, no one dies instantly from a missing heart either way. Asphyxiation and toxins should replace heart/lung and kidney/liver missing.

Dunbal

Quote from: JaxelT on August 19, 2016, 05:04:32 PM
For that matter, losing a liver or a heart or both kidneys should not be immediately fatal. They should rapidly lose health as a result of having Blood Filtration or what have you at 0%, giving you a chance to prep emergency surgery to replace the organ if you have one available.

As a physician I can safely state that "losing" your heart is immediately fatal.

Icarus

Quote from: Dunbal on August 29, 2016, 11:54:00 AM
Quote from: JaxelT on August 19, 2016, 05:04:32 PM
For that matter, losing a liver or a heart or both kidneys should not be immediately fatal. They should rapidly lose health as a result of having Blood Filtration or what have you at 0%, giving you a chance to prep emergency surgery to replace the organ if you have one available.

As a physician I can safely state that "losing" your heart is immediately fatal.
As a graduate in degree Laziness, I can safely state that heart transplants exist, in which the heart is removed for a good moment.
Yes the blood is still oxygenated and pumped, but losing your heart does not mean you instantly die. It means you die really fast as either due to extreme bleeding or cell death via lack of oxygen.

Zalzany

Real question is why are doing so much hardcore surgery? Seriously never had issues with peg legs and what not. You running mods so you can install bionic hearts and spines or what? I mean the odds are so random if you got a good set up I know pisses you off but you are probably the scum save types anyways. It is not like its x-com where it set in stone if that 99% chance to hit misses every time you reload it, it will miss. These screw ups are what keeps the game from being boring if every thing ran like your colonists were machines not people it would dull as hell. Maybe you should play sims or something else...