Researching Skill Eh?

Started by Njn0225, August 19, 2016, 09:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Njn0225

Hey so I was looking at the Research skill, says you can upgrade it by doing Experiments, Investigating Evidence, and Learning. How can I actually do any of these things if I can? EDIT Ok allow me to be a bit more specific as the what I was, in the description for the Research not only does it say it helps with research, but it also talks about Doing Experiments and Investigating Evidence. I was more hoping to figure out what those two things was about.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

lorebot

Basically the more time a pawn spends researching for you the better they get at it. There are no other ways to increase the skill as far as I know. So you usually only want 1 pawn to do all your research for you and do nothing else if you can help it.

Mr.Cross

The only way to do so is by some Neurotrainers you can purchase from a orbital trader, however i've found they are rather rare or having said colonist doing research projects at the research bench

Edited cause I remembered what the Item was called
Claims to know most things.

SpaceDorf

You can raise also raise the research skill  through joy activities marked with the label science. ( Chess for example. )
Horseshoe and Billiards affect shooting.

If you have many Pawns you can also build multiple research benches.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

ReZpawner

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 20, 2016, 10:38:43 AM
You can raise also raise the research skill  through joy activities marked with the label science. ( Chess for example. )
Horseshoe and Billiards affect shooting.

If you have many Pawns you can also build multiple research benches.

I know that the telescope adds research, but where do you find information about the others?

I'm fairly certain that horseshoes gives you shooting, and not research too.

SpaceDorf

I said horseshoe and billiards give shooting :)

I got it from the help page, I think it may come from the Community Core Library ( CCR )
but I am not sure, I lost a bit track of which mod does what :)

But man, you don't believe how happy the ingame wiki made me :)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

ReZpawner

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 20, 2016, 03:43:56 PM
I said horseshoe and billiards give shooting :)

I got it from the help page, I think it may come from the Community Core Library ( CCR )
but I am not sure, I lost a bit track of which mod does what :)

But man, you don't believe how happy the ingame wiki made me :)

Ahh, I pretty much just woke up, so I'm still a bit slow I guess. That ingame wiki sounds pretty damn good tbh. Thanks for the info!

SpaceDorf

My Pleasure. But I think the skill gain from the joy stuff is not really measurable.

ShadowTani

Still have to say it's a shame the research skill is only useful for one pawn and then becomes useless in the end-game when everything is researched. I'm hoping Tynan will eventually consider adding more "sustainable" and broader uses for it in a later patch. For example a teaching/apprentice system to have your more experienced pawns teach your less skilled pawns (which gets limited by the research/intellect skill), or maybe some repeatable research projects? Something like that.

Skaliri

Quote from: ShadowTani on August 20, 2016, 07:52:13 PM
Still have to say it's a shame the research skill is only useful for one pawn and then becomes useless in the end-game when everything is researched. I'm hoping Tynan will eventually consider adding more "sustainable" and broader uses for it in a later patch. For example a teaching/apprentice system to have your more experienced pawns teach your less skilled pawns (which gets limited by the research/intellect skill), or maybe some repeatable research projects? Something like that.

Well, it feels different on Tribe, but that's also because I got the extended prosthetics and other things (forgot exact name) modpacks which adds a whooping total of over 50000 points of research as tribe at least. I am employing at least 2 researchers at the same time if possible.

On normal crashlanded it does start to become useless quite quickly though, and I never needed more than 1 researcher...
Would be nice to see some lategame optimizing / buffing repeatables with deminishing returns... I wouldn't mind getting some efficienty boosts on my batteries for example :p

cultist

The skill descriptions are mostly just there to flesh out the single word that represents the skill. Research is pretty much only done at the research bench. And as mentioned, some joy items give a little bit of skill gain as well.

It would be interesting to see research expanded beyond going through the same steps in every game. Going out to collect samples of flora and fauna, analyze them, learn new things about the environment would make research a lot more exciting and varied than it is currently.