Change to Blight

Started by IncognitoMode, February 14, 2014, 09:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IncognitoMode

I have been playing a colony and everything is perfect, a few colonists unhappy about recent raider attacks etc but on the whole it looks like I will be tending to some happy colonists for a long while. No... blight happens and, even though I have stockpiled food after a few minutes of playing my growers can't keep up and everyone starves. I know this is meant to be difficult to handle and everything but I have had two individual areas of crops before and the blight has wiped them both out.

I would like to suggest (if this doesn't come with the cooking update) that we have multiple crops that are planted in different growing areas (marked like storage). Then, just like IRL tomatoes and potatoes get real bad blight but then other plants like onions and cabbages are fine. On the flip side of this there could be messages saying "The ground was too wet, all your onions rotted" and "Although 100's of butterflies are a pretty sight, they have wiped out your cabbages."

Also the variety of different veg would make recipes in cooking more interesting. I am assuming these are being implemented.

SPAZZx7

Whenever a blight happens and im low on food, i harvest every berry bush on the map, set one settler priority cut, the other haul, another grow, its saved my butt a few times, other times, raiders ruin everything...

All in all, i think blights will be less of an issue after next patch (Cannibalism/cooking system) even more so if blights begin to target specific crops once they are introduced. (Multiple crop types are going to happen).

colonistPally

Quote from: Rikkada on February 14, 2014, 08:35:23 PM
Whenever a blight happens and im low on food, i harvest every berry bush on the map, set one settler priority cut, the other haul, another grow, its saved my butt a few times, other times, raiders ruin everything...

All in all, i think blights will be less of an issue after next patch (Cannibalism/cooking system) even more so if blights begin to target specific crops once they are introduced. (Multiple crop types are going to happen).

That's what I do too. Make sure you get all the berries, potatoes, and agave. That'll usually tide you over........

It annoys me though that indoor growing doesn't protect this. Like isn't it quarantined? Common, arg. :( But yea I know balance and all that. Maybe blight only hits hydroponics 1/2. ? Somethin...

TimMartland

I just keep a warehouse full of surplus food from my 8 farm plots. Fort Westerwind is pretty powerful :)
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

colonistPally

Quote from: TimMartland on February 16, 2014, 05:37:45 AM
I just keep a warehouse full of surplus food from my 8 farm plots. Fort Westerwind is pretty powerful :)

I do something similar to that, hehe. I RP that it's my canned food storage. :P ;)

palandus

You want genetically modified potatoes? I dunno man... its one thing to grow potatoes via hydroponics (growing without soil but in mineral rich solutions with water) but GM potatoes? Dunno.

Basroks

Nah, not really. I mean, maybe at one point when the game has become really complex and deep, it may be appropriate to have that possibility, but it's not exactly on my wishlist. The article just had a special significance to me in light of the excessive amount of RimWorld I'm currently playing.

My colonists, though. I think they might like the idea. That unavoidable, instant blight... it's just so... thorough.

(...or did you mean to ask if I want these GM potatoes for real, outside of the game? Sure!)

colonistPally

Quote from: Basroks on February 17, 2014, 06:40:56 PM
Nah, not really. I mean, maybe at one point when the game has become really complex and deep, it may be appropriate to have that possibility, but it's not exactly on my wishlist. The article just had a special significance to me in light of the excessive amount of RimWorld I'm currently playing.

My colonists, though. I think they might like the idea. That unavoidable, instant blight... it's just so... thorough.

(...or did you mean to ask if I want these GM potatoes for real, outside of the game? Sure!)

Yes it's really annoying. Yes outside full blight, sure. But why does it have to hit my quarantined hydroponics area.....  >:(

Darker

I guess there could be a mod that adds "realistic blight". Such thing would spread much like grass - but over plants, not fertile terrain.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

Bunnie

I've always thought it might be cool to have a research that allows you to have a "resistance" to the blight. Maybe not complete immunity but at least say something along the lines of "Segregated Growing - Makes blights affect 50% less crops"

UrbanBourbon

Insecticide should be a thing. Refined from cactuses or agaves, perhaps. Or bought from farming merchants directly. Deployed by growers, insecticide should increase the plant cultivation time but it should lessen the chance and damage done by blights.

Edit:
Here's what I was thinking:
Step 1. Sow seeds
Step 2. Deploy insecticide (takes equal amount of time as Step 1)
Step 3. [plant growth]
Step 4. Harvest

Optionally, prolonged rains could wash away the insecticide, creating the need to renew it. All this would keep growers quite busy and further encourage moving your farming operation indoors. Perhaps insecticide or fertilizer could come with hit points, and for every hour a fertilized tile is exposed to rain, its hit points would drop. Also a successful harvest should remove some of the insecticide as well.