Shotgun weddings / arranged marrages

Started by mumblemumble, August 20, 2016, 10:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

It would be interesting if relationships could be attempted to be arranged,encouraging 2 people to chat, get to know each other, or vice versa.  try to encourage fertility in the colony happiness, ect.

Course forcing it may have mixed results, but it would be funny to try, and see what happens from it
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

cultist

I feel like this shouldn't be under the player's control. There's not much reason not do this, so it effectively becomes a task for the player to complete instead of a random happy event. If the player takes control, you're less likely to see odd couples, as the player will attempt to create the best bondings to ensure the relationship doesn't sour and cause mood problems. I'm happy with the marriage system if the overall mood effects are toned down a bit.

lorebot

you can conceivably do this by gaming the system. Just put the two pawns you want to hook up in an area for just themselves...they won't have anyone else to interact with and will maximize their chances of learning to like and then love each other.

mumblemumble

Please note : first off, I said ENCOURAGE, by force. Arranged marriages obviously don't always work, and its not mind control by any means because it wouldn't always work.

I mean essentially take 2 people, and give an order for them to date, or marry...annnnnd they try, and perhaps it ends badly, but you could at least try.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Wex

That's how I made my sculptors man and wife.
I have a room with 2 sculptor tables facing each other.
They passed the days chatting and sculpting, an then they started a relationship.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

mumblemumble

yes, but that is borderline an exploit.....

I mean a formal order, from the leadership saying people should do it.

-----

lorebot

Quote from: mumblemumble on August 20, 2016, 11:01:45 PM
Please note : first off, I said ENCOURAGE, by force. Arranged marriages obviously don't always work, and its not mind control by any means because it wouldn't always work.

I mean essentially take 2 people, and give an order for them to date, or marry...annnnnd they try, and perhaps it ends badly, but you could at least try.

Uh...the title of your post is 'Shotgun weddings'...perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of the term... :)

mumblemumble

no, I know the meaning, but I think its applicable still...say, 2 people screw, and the colony manager could force them to marry for it.

-----

Kegereneku

I don't think the idea is any good (aka : not to be left in player control) but it made me think of an event idea :
"The chief of [faction name] fell madly in love with [colonist name] and wish to kindly encourage her to come to him" (a raid arrive threatening to kidnap her...etc... choice...etc)

I know the idea isn't very refined or fitting with the gameplay, but that's a start.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

SpaceDorf

But it certainly fits on the "more-faction-interaction"-wishlist.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RemingtonRyder

If I want to make two compatible colonists start a relationship, I just assign them joy at the same time each day and work for the rest of the day. :)

mumblemumble

Quote from: MarvinKosh on August 21, 2016, 10:42:24 AM
If I want to make two compatible colonists start a relationship, I just assign them joy at the same time each day and work for the rest of the day. :)
As stated before, this is wishful thinking and givin them a large chance, but not outright saying "you 2 are ordered to marry".

I personally would love to see consequences of it, perhaps force marriages, and arguments / disputes over it

-----

SpaceDorf

Quote from: mumblemumble on August 21, 2016, 03:36:18 PM
Quote from: MarvinKosh on August 21, 2016, 10:42:24 AM
As stated before, this is wishful thinking and givin them a large chance, but not outright saying "you 2 are ordered to marry".
I personally would love to see consequences of it, perhaps force marriages, and arguments / disputes over it

I thought pregnancy was a requirement for a shotgun wedding, or at least prenuptial intercourse ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

mumblemumble

prenuptial intercourse exists in rimworld.

its lovin, which happens before getting married

-----

chaotix14

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 21, 2016, 03:53:39 PM
I thought pregnancy was a requirement for a shotgun wedding, or at least prenuptial intercourse ?

It depends on when the shotgun is pointed at you by the dad and you are basically told to marry her girl for doing x or y to her.

Around here we have some particularly not so kosher folk around(imagine a cross between rednecks and gypsy's), it's common knowledge to not get involved with their girls(or with them in general), if the dad finds out you even kissed his daughter on the cheek, his shotgun will pronounce you husband and wife.