Tool/Way to display all current values for a specific tag

Started by cpkriech, August 22, 2016, 08:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpkriech

Is there a way to do display information like "all <backstoryCategory> tags" of the currently installed or running mods (including core)? There are a couple tables in the developer mode, but not ones for the information I am looking for.

I looked around at the tools section, but didn't see anything that fit this description.

This is probably do-able with a grep command, or I could write something for it if it doesn't exist. I just don't want to duplicate any effort if it is not needed.

CallMeDio

I don't understand exactly what you want to do and why, but a thing I use all the time is to open the folder I want to look in and put like <backstoryCategory> in the Windows search, it will return nothing, but there will be a option like "content of files" or something like that bellow, then you click it to see all the files that contain it, from there open the files and Ctrl+F it and go hopping occurrences with next.
QuoteYou may need a rubber duck.  Also, try some caveman debugging.

Released mods: No Mood Loss on Prisoner Sold or Died

kaptain_kavern

cpkriech

Quote from: CallMeDio on August 22, 2016, 10:17:35 PM
I don't understand exactly what you want to do and why, but a thing I use all the time is to open the folder I want to look in and put like <backstoryCategory> in the Windows search, it will return nothing, but there will be a option like "content of files" or something like that bellow, then you click it to see all the files that contain it, from there open the files and Ctrl+F it and go hopping occurrences with next.

I can try this out. It's not the slickest solution, but it definitively helps.

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 22, 2016, 10:40:27 PM
Have you  checked this post : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21440.0

It's stickied in the mods/help section of the forum

I did see that, and it is helpful for the core files. I was hoping that there was a way to see similar data for core + a group of mods.

To explain what I mean a little more: Say I want to create a new player faction mod. I copy the "colony" faction, and see that the <hairTags> list has a single value of "Urban". Using the RimWorld XML Auto-Documentation, I can see that there are 4 total values in the core xml files. Which is very helpful!

But I have some hair mods installed, and I'd like to see if they have any extra tags. I can look in those mod's files, but that will take time I don't want to spend, especially if I do this for more than one sort of tag. I want to see what the mashing up of all the mods files looks like.

It would be great if the RimWorld XML Auto-Documentation could be pointed to a mod folder and all the xml files could be stitched together and the resulting html be generated from that.