Prostitution

Started by Shurp, August 22, 2016, 05:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Since Rimworld is clearly aiming for the "space western" theme, it seems to have a glaring omission.  What western town in the middle of nowhere is complete without a brothel?   We already have most of the mechanics we need to make this happen -- wanderers from out of town, people shacking up together for lovin', and plenty of silver and booze.

I think it'd be a great addition to the colony game play.  Just think of all the fun that can be had when a colonist gets upset that his girlfriend got beaten up by a "client" from another town, so he kills him, leading to the townspeople attacking to take vengeance...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

mumblemumble

Rape is another thing ommitted, and beastiality....but then we would have to cover STDS, mental damage from rape and assault, ect for those to work as well, as well as social stigma
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Tenebrae

Quote from: mumblemumble on August 22, 2016, 05:50:52 PM
Rape is another thing ommitted, and beastiality....but then we would have to cover STDS, mental damage from rape and assault, ect for those to work as well, as well as social stigma

You're getting things a bit mixed up. Just because you have people working at a brothel doesn't mean that they're being raped. Illegal sex trafficking isn't the same as, for example, the Bunny Ranch in Nevada.

Regardless, this could be an interesting idea in two ways:

1: Your Brothel

You build a brothel and can assign colonists to work the bar, bounce, or as prostitutes. NPCs can wander into town and use the brothel...providing you with wealth. This, however, could cause a multitude of problems...

Failure to designate enough bouncers could result in kidnapped prostitutes, drunken fights that damage the brothel and end up with wounded colonists, etc. In combination to such, the longer you run a brothel...the more word begins to spread. On a positive note, this brings in more customers...but also increases your chances of being raided by larger groups who now know that you're a lucrative target.

2: NPC Brothel

You designate an area where an NPC can come and establish their own brothel. You may want to do this, instead of opening your own, because the majority of risks aren't yours...but the only boon you get is the ability to increase the mood of your colonists at the cost of wealth.

If a colonist uses the brothel too frequently, they could get a permanent negative trait called nymphomania that causes them to excessively flirt with other colonists and get very frustrated when rebuked. Getting rebuked too often would cause them to have a breakdown where they then go to the brothel and spend heaps of cash...whether you like it or not.

In both situations, you might lose colonists who fall in love. In the first situation, your prostitutes might run away with a customer whereas in the second situation...your colonist might run away with a prostitute.

There's a lot of potential with this idea... I definitely like the idea of STDs and I assume their could be technology upgrades to avoid them. Ultimately...a brothel might be more trouble than it's worth in both scenarios, but that's the fun in it!

mumblemumble

I'm saying rape is a thing that WOULD be included, along with prostitution in general.

Infact, prostitution is often included under this context : an area which is inhabited by MAJORITY men, has brothels because if you have 1 woman for 10 men, formal dating DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE. So instead, you have several girls who are prostitutes, being lovers, mothers (I mean in actions, not childbirth) and friends for men , doing whatever the men want to get the needs addressed, for a monetary compensation. Otherwise men with all that testosterone, and no sexual release CAN get bad, causing fights, causing violence, ect. This is the main reason. And you will find in frontier west, this was the case too. PLENTY of men, few women (at least in the TRUE frontier areas) so the few girls were usually turned out, for profit, and to keep the population relatively civil, not killing each other for a chance at a womans attention.

This is actually interesting though, alaska is a very good example. many areas of alaska are mostly men, so, even though prostitution is "illegal" there, cops dont arrest working girls in general, because its kind of an unwritten rule. If you have 10 girls in a town of 100 men, and you take half the girls to jail, its THAT much harder for a guy to get some. So cops kind of just let it be.

Sexual frustration is also a huge cause of rape, of course, but is done when theres no other solution to be had, and when someone mentally breaks. as much as I don't entirely approve masterbation, its a better alternative than rape....though sex drive itself fluctuates from exposure to feminine stimulus, testosterone levels, exercise, ect.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Tenebrae

Quote from: mumblemumble on August 22, 2016, 09:56:04 PMI'm saying rape is a thing that WOULD be included, along with prostitution in general.

OH! My apologies. I thought you were trying to allude to the possibility that rape was a reason to exclude brothels. I completely misunderstood your post, my fault.

MikeLemmer

Ehhh... I don't think it's really necessary. Prostitution works in larger communities, not 8-12 people that all know each other personally. Plus it would involve coding in personal money and funds.

Now, a colonist who sleeps around just because could be interesting... but not necessary.

Lightzy

Definitely in keeping with the "western" style of the game which I feel could be boosted a bit.

But ... ehh... probably even more iffy than adding the mass production and distribution of cocaine

Ceglaaa

Great idea, but for a mod (submod for Hospitality mod maybe?), not a feature to be included in core game. Too much work to put on the feature that ain't that necessary.

Blastoderm

We already have organ harvesting, slavery, cannibalism and stuff. Can't see how whoring can be any worse than this, given game already have sex slave, whore and other backgrounds.
The way I see it implemented is forcing a prisoner to satisfy colonists' "needs". Because being fucked is better than standing in line to the surgeon's table for organ harvest.
Making a brothel is way too complex mechanic that will require implementing lots of interactions with travellers and stuff. In other words - not worth it. But passing travellers can still offer some "services" along with STDs.

Grishnerf

Prostitution offers/adds no real gameplay value.

if we summarize it, it will end just as a mood buff for having sex with strangers.
that is all.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

mumblemumble

Its also silly having prostitution when men / women ratios are almost always even. Prostitution is mainly used when theres mostly men, but few women, otherwise men prefer dating, as apposed to spending money on a night with a girl he will never have as his own girl. Its actually a bit mentally damaging, for both parties.

-----

Shurp

Well, I was thinking of it in reference to the frequent visitors to the colony, not for the colonists themselves.  True, a colony of 10 people hardly needs prostitution.  But as a player you might choose to run a colony of 3 mercenaries and 7 women providing services to the townies and tribals in the neighborhood... and who knows, maybe even the pirates can be convinced to become clients.  (Though they would be very tempted to kidnap instead).

It would create an alternate economic model.  We currently have "loot caravans", "harvest organs", "grow corn/rice", and "make sculptures".  This would be another source of cash for the colony.

For those who want to do something less morally questionable, we could add a hospital for visitors too.  "Discount limb replacement!"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mudder

@mumblemumble
You keep throwing around weird judgmental values as though they are facts. Sometimes mixed in with pseudo-facts... I feel obligated to point this out. Do with that information as you will.
I'm a freelance programmer/web developer that spends way too much time here rather than making money.

keylocke

intriguing suggestion though i doubt tynan would actually implement it.

at least that's what i would have thought earlier and then BAM! tynan shouts "say my name!!" and all who hear, bows down and grudgingly whispers.. "heisenberg".

hello 420.

------

i'd rather start thinking that rimworld has transcended the point about people mulling about what it "cannot and will not do" towards the point where "nothing is real, everything is permitted" and the only limiting factor is the technical limitations of the game engine.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: keylocke on August 24, 2016, 09:25:47 AM

i'd rather start thinking that rimworld has transcended the point about people mulling about what it "cannot and will not do" towards the point where "nothing is true, everything is permitted" and the only limiting factor is the technical limitations of the game engine.

Also no Rimworld Player is FORCED to slaughter dead enemies and wear their skin as hats while binging on beer.
No Rimworld Player will be forced to turn their colony into stoners and selling prisoners into slavery to pay for their Luciferium addiction.

So nobody should mope around what the game enables you to do.
In the end it's just a mirror of the real world.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.