Prostitution

Started by Shurp, August 22, 2016, 05:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

The mood mechanic generally limits what people do. Yeah, you can have a cannabilistic slaver colony if you want but you have to really want it and suffer the mood penalties that go with it.

Keeping a prostitute colony happy would be a chore... Hmmm, drugs are in the next update, I suppose this would be a very natural fit.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

asanbr

Quote from: Tenebrae
Regardless, this could be an interesting idea in two ways:

1: Your Brothel

You build a brothel and can assign colonists to work the bar, bounce, or as prostitutes. NPCs can wander into town and use the brothel...providing you with wealth. This, however, could cause a multitude of problems...

Failure to designate enough bouncers could result in kidnapped prostitutes, drunken fights that damage the brothel and end up with wounded colonists, etc. In combination to such, the longer you run a brothel...the more word begins to spread. On a positive note, this brings in more customers...but also increases your chances of being raided by larger groups who now know that you're a lucrative target.

2: NPC

If a colonist uses the brothel too frequently, they could get a permanent negative trait called nymphomania that causes them to excessively flirt with other colonists and get very frustrated when rebuked. Ge

Let's just make a new game altogether. Brothel architect? Could use similar graphics.

Mudder

Let's ditch the massive complexity and just allow our pawns to have one-night stands?

Mood boost for both. Sometimes one will get attached, -mood for awhile because feelings were hurt.
I'm a freelance programmer/web developer that spends way too much time here rather than making money.

Lightzy

The reason I'm iffy about this suggestion is ...

The way the game is being designed, using a sex-worker will probably give the whore, the whorer and the entire rest of the colony -5 to mood for a month

Shurp

the penalty would probably need to be higher to offset the significant revenue potential
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

LordMunchkin

In the general theme of prostitution, I wish we would be able to offer "services" to vistors such as bars or brothels or shops to visitors. It would rely on the social skill of the colonist and would make a lot of nearly useless background combinations useful.

skinicism

The problem with this isn't how you expect PCs to pay for it. An abundance of silver in the general fund can help keep employees happy just to be contributing to the team. The issue, for me, is how you intend to keep sex campaign managers from beating prostitutes up and extorting money from them.
  I'm not saying that all managers are bad or are trying to receive pay-raise bonuses any way they can. Rather, I'm saying that managers have to be watched to make sure they're not gambling away the majority of the silver in the general fund. The most clear and present danger is of managers giving S.T.D.s in exchange for receiving sexual favors from player characters.

Thihi

It's kinda weird how all of you talk about the prostitutes being all women. You do realize that male prostitution is common too? It is usually gay (and btw. gay relationships should be implemented in the game), but not always. It has been rife in lots of historical societies, but has not been studied as extensively as female prostitution. Due to the gay context, it is often a subject that is way more underground in societies where gay people are harassed and shamed.

If this gets implemented at some point, there is absolutely no good reason for it to have a gender distinction.

Not that I feel it's a particularly good idea.

Also, I kinda feel there is a lot of prejudice and talking out of asses going on here. Some prostitutes are in a psychologically fragile place, yes, but some are not. Some customers are people who can't get laid otherwise and are ashamed of using the services, some are not.

If this ends up in the game, I hope the dev actually reads some social studies and preferrably also talks to sex workers on the subject before trying to come up with a model.

No need to make it demeaning and stupid.

Shurp

sure, gay male prostitution would be workable too. Though the customer base would be smaller. Perhaps make up for it by allowing it to earn a higher rate? Gay colonists could then become a desireable commodity!  (the gay colonist I have now is more of a liability because he keeps getting rejected by the straight men)

LouisTBR

Prostitution is an interesting mechanic, but this would make Rimworld a mature game, and would give the game a darker, less innocent feel.
Of course, Rimworld could quite easily add more adult-themed features, since it already has drugs, alcohol and cannibals ☺

I do not know what Tynan wants Rimworld to become, but I would imagine this is a bit far-fetched and grizzly, even by Rimworld standards.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

mumblemumble

It would most definitely have a negative effect on the whore. At least statistically speaking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/154140.stm

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/controversy/persecution/the-real-harms-of-prostitution.html

http://prostitutionresearch.com/

IIRC theres also an article somewhere in the first link 2nd link indicating a higher rate of abusive behavior in johns.

Just posting as a direct response to concerns on mental effects. On topic.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

keylocke

people like sex and people like money, so the question is : where does the trauma actually come from?

i think the problem isn't about sex or money, i think it's mostly about the abuse (both physical and psychological from johns/pimps/whatever) as well as the stigma they get from society, which is what's creating the trauma.

abuse isn't even isolated to sex either. the world is just filled with so many abusive people. heck, even in a normal convo you can get abused by trolls or whatever.

LuceLumin

Quote from: mumblemumble on August 26, 2016, 05:01:10 PM
It would most definitely have a negative effect on the whore. At least statistically speaking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/154140.stm

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/controversy/persecution/the-real-harms-of-prostitution.html

http://prostitutionresearch.com/

IIRC theres also an article somewhere in the first link 2nd link indicating a higher rate of abusive behavior in johns.

Just posting as a direct response to concerns on mental effects. On topic.

I sure so trust a website called "Catholic Education" to have a balanced view on sex work

TrashMan

Quote from: keylocke on August 26, 2016, 11:27:11 PM
heck, even in a normal convo you can get abused by trolls or whatever.

My fragile psyche cannot handle the bantz!
What horrible abuse have I suffered! It's another shoah!

keylocke

Quote from: TrashMan on August 27, 2016, 06:38:54 AM
Quote from: keylocke on August 26, 2016, 11:27:11 PM
heck, even in a normal convo you can get abused by trolls or whatever.

My fragile psyche cannot handle the bantz!
What horrible abuse have I suffered! It's another shoah!

there, there..