[A15C] Simplified Soy Production (PTV02)

Started by nccvoyager, October 08, 2016, 07:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nccvoyager

Important Note
Updated to PVT02, reflecting changes suggested.
When updating from PTV01: Make sure all Electric Stoves, Fueled Stoves, and Campfires have the "Grind Soybeans" bill removed in your saved game before you update to this new version.
If you do remove all the bills, your saved games using this mod will load properly.
All soy mash will rot away immediately (if not frozen) when loading this new version of the mod.
This is intended, as this will remove soy mash from all future saved games, allowing future versions of the mod to not include the soy mash data.

Preface
This is just a little mod I threw together in a couple days after a friend asked why there were no vegan alternatives in RimWorld.
(One day for research, one for coding, testing, and graphics.)
I had intended to create a new food category for "vegan alternatives" but didn't have the time, (or skill,) so it is under "animal products" instead.
I may change that in the future, but for now I'm going to drop this mod here for public testing and use.
This is a soy beverage production chain, simplified down into a couple of "steps" and balanced for early-to-mid-game play.

Mod Components
Soy Plants - Grow soy plants outside, or using hydroponics.
Raw Soybeans - Raw soybeans harvested from soy plants. Must be properly processed before human consumption.
Dried Soybeans - Hulled, dried soybeans. Must be cooked properly before consumption.
Soy Beverage - A soy beverage resembling milk. Does not last long without proper storage.

Mod Notes
Adds recipes for cooking soy beverage, or drying soybeans.
Drying soybeans allows for long-term storage without a freezer, but is not necessary for producing soy beverage.
All steps can be completed at the electric stove, fueled stove, or campfire.
Soy beverage becomes very dangerous if not properly cooked or stored, and rots very quickly to compensate for this.

Mod Compatibility
This mod should be compatible with all other def mods as it does not modify or inherit from any core files. (To my knowledge.)

Mod Download
PTV 01 for RimWorld A15C - Direct Download Links
Simplified Soy Production PTV02-A15C (RAR Compression)
Simplified Soy Production PTV02-A15C (ZIP Compression)

Questions
So, please let me know if you decide to use my mod and there are any issues you come across.
I would also like some feedback as to the balancing of the mod in terms of how quickly the plants grow, and how quickly they can be processed, as well as whether I should reduce the requirements for the growing and processing of soybeans.

Usage
Use parts of this mod as you see fit, and include it in modpacks if you wish.

nccvoyager

Changelog
PTV 02 for RimWorld A15C
-Removed soy mash. (Replaced with quick-rotting red X for save game compatibility.)
-Removed "Grind soybeans" recipe. (Ensure there are no "Grind soybeans" bills active in your save game in stoves or campfires before you update to the new mod version.)
-Now cook soy beverage from raw soybeans, dry soybeans, or mix of both!
-Slightly increased production time for soy beverage. (Offset for reduced steps.)
-Reduced soil fertility multiplier.
-Will anybody ever actually read this?
-Removed sarcasm.
-Changed "cahngelog" to "changelog" properly.
PTV 01 for RimWorld A15C
-First public testing release.

Download Old Versions
PTV 01 for RimWorld A15C - Direct Download Links
Simplified Soy Production PTV01-A15C (RAR Compression)
Simplified Soy Production PTV01-A15C (ZIP Compression)

Razzoriel

Veganism does not exist because simply there are no (playable) races which would benefit from veganism.

All races which are in-game are humans. Humans are omnivores.

nccvoyager

Yet, there are humans (in reality or not) whom do, in fact, refuse to eat animal meat or animal products such as eggs and milk.

Whether or not there is a game mechanic for veganism is not particularly relevant to those playing the game whom do subscribe to veganism, and would prefer to have a meat alternative for their colonists.

I can understand the reasoning behind "no mechanic - no need" but correlation does not mean causation.
That is to say that there being no mechanic for veganism in RimWorld is irrelevant in the face of personal preference.
Whether there is a benefit or not, some people would simply prefer to have the option.

You can debate that there is no need for such a thing all you want; it makes no difference.
This is not a mod borne of need; it is a mod borne of preference.
Funnily enough, not even my own preference, as I am most certainly not a vegan, nor even a vegetarian.

In any case, this is a mod; not a direct suggestion for the vanilla game.

BlueWinds

As a vegetarian who finds farming something of a pain in-game, I do appreciate the thought. Would you instead consider a single job - "create curd" - which takes raw soybeans and outputs a thing that can be cooked with?

Specifically, what do the intermediate "dry soybeans" and "ground soybeans" add from a gameplay standpoint? Mostly seems like an excuse to make my pawns haul more to and from the stove, and need more bills to accomplish the same result - "cook fine meals from field products."

nccvoyager

Well, the dried soybeans can be stored for a very long time without refrigeration, allowing for space to be saved in refrigerators/freezers.
Excellent for someone trying to play a long-term tribe or the like, though I do realize that this is annoying when freezers are available.

I was thinking I might skip the soy mash and jump directly to soy beverage in order to streamline the process a bit.
Basically, the bill to process dry soybean into soy mash would be removed. The bill to process soy mash into soy beverage would be changed to directly process raw soybeans, dry soybeans, or a combination of both into soy beverage.

This would allow soy beverage to be produced directly from raw soybeans or dry soybeans, changing this from requiring 5 steps to produce a meal to a minimum of 3, while keeping the benefit of dried soybeans available if wanted.
(Harvest Raw --> Dry --> Re-hydrate --> Process --> Cook Meal)
Would become:
(Harvest Raw --> Process --> Cook Meal)

I will try to have an updated version reflecting these changes available by tomorrow.
(October 12, 5:00PM PDT)

Thank you for your interest, and your suggestions.  :D

As a little side-note, I suppose my thoughts had been on other soy products being able to be produced from soy mash, though I now realize that I can always streamline it down a lot for those as well.
(For other products, specific pieces of machinery would be required anyways.)