I got really scared

Started by Gyropilot, August 23, 2016, 06:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gyropilot

I just woke up, jumped into the game as it was already open and immediately, I don't know from which mod it came from as I'm using a overhaul pack. But a message "THE LORD OF DARKNESS IS COMING!". Hide yourself within light sources. And a badass boss soundtrack started to play. WTF! I have none light source at my base. I'm dead, I'm screwed. Luckly I have a Living Flame, a Phoenix heart, that might scare whatever is coming to get me as it shines. I got really involved, really desperate, as not even Dark Souls boss fights made me to be. Game is paused and I don't know how it will go but that feeling... 10/10 whoever did it. I love this game by the way. I just lost a dude to plague, made a beautifull garden to hold his sarcophagus and was counting the losses from last week full of battles and now this? Really, Cassandra. You are not telling a story, you are telling my straight doom!

Gyropilot

That's it. They are all dead. Even my bears and wolves didn't get spared. The only guy I could manage to keep alive went on psychotic state of "hide himself in his room". One that was pretty dark. I slayed a freaking phoenix and the darkness got the best of me. Poor little tribe. What a... Dark end to their story. Got it? Dark! Hahahaha
I'm sorry if this is unfit for where I posted it, but I found unfair to post a mod compliment somewhere else. I just want to hug a bunch of people for bringing me this game, those feels and this entertainment

Lennbolt7

Did you ever find out what mod it was? If not can you tell me what mod pack you were using? I HAVE to try to beat this thing now.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Lennbolt7 on August 23, 2016, 10:42:06 AM
Did you ever find out what mod it was? If not can you tell me what mod pack you were using? I HAVE to try to beat this thing now.

Not sure which mod it is, but I'm pretty sure Skyarkhangel of HardcoreSK modpack linked to a video of it in the HardcoreSK thread a couple weeks ago.

edit: found that post - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12996.msg246817#msg246817

Gyropilot

Yes. Hardcore SK overhaul pack. It was the most amazing bad event I ever saw. You have like 3 or 4 game hours to prepare yourself. I wont spoil anything, but try it out

IkeaSwede

It's the mod that makes darker nights isn't it?

sc4s2cg

I love this, downloading the  mod pack as we speak.

Consider crossposting on reddit! Should make the mod popular enough to maybe put on steam?

Adventurer

I hate to be the voice of dissent but the Hardcore SK pack is a huge mess of outdated mods and unstable code. In addition it's never set right with me that they see fit to modify the Core game files, making it extremely difficult to properly debug and troubleshoot.

There will be times where it gives you fulfilling gameplay, and other times where everything just falls apart due to severe bugs.

kaptain_kavern

The only things packed in the Core folder that differ from the "real" vanilla Core folder are added Textures and modified Russian Translation files. While i agreed on it not being a good way of releasing mods I don't think it can lead to any problems. https://github.com/skyarkhangel/Hardcore-SK/issues/124

About instability : I'm not sure people have understand that downloading the source file from Github is not exactly the same as downloading from a released version. On going update on the master branch on Github are considered unstable or WIP and are not the same things than a released version 

Gyropilot

I'm not having much problems with instability. Just now and then I have to use a development tool to fix something or use a recent save state (perma death is impossible though). But I play with overhauls since Ultimate Overhaul and the newest version is pretty solid in my playthroughs in comparison of what I was used to. I love it. It totally worth soving some problems. The complexity it raises made the game really deeper, exactly what makes Rimworld the game I most enjoy ever. Depth. I like it, I like the modders, I like the community and the developer lol
BTW I restarted since the Lord of the Darkness slaughted me and Cassandra is pretty soft. She must be pity for me. Although I depleted my ammo and need some more soon

Goo Poni

It's in the HardcoreSK pack, the optional Darkness mod. Makes the nights much darker by virtue of having it enabled and sometimes it triggers an event where shadowy creatures attack from anywhere the light does not shine. Personally don't like it as they're meant to die when they step in the light but the script for that is slow for the sake of not running it 20 times a second, so the shadows often spawn in the corners of lit rooms, punch something then disappear instead of disappear the moment they move. It's fucking cheap that they do so much damage that's untreatable without medicine and by virtue of its damage type (frostbite), they break limbs with casual ease. And all because you don't cover every other free tile in a ceiling lamp. IMO, it's now just been worsened by that stupid soundbyte. It comes from Darkest Dungeon by the way. It's just quotes from the announcer/narrator that remarks on happenings within the game.