Whats your story of the most lovely thing you have done in Rimworld

Started by rexx1888, August 23, 2016, 10:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexx1888

Because there is far to much talk of insane cannibal colonies, lets try to celebrate some of the nice things you can do in this game O.o

for me, im a big fan of releasing tribals. I know i could butcher them, or sell them, or attempt to slowly convince them to join me. The reality though is that if i release them, they go off an tell all their bros about how rad my colony is, an then i dont have to shoot anymore tribals. Its just one of those rad perks of not being a sadistic dick :)

An as an extra bonus, sometimes the tribals roll up when im in trouble an try to save my ass. Like one time, i ended having a colony destroying infestation, and the tribals rolled up with like 20 dudes an went ape on the bugs. I mean, it was hopeless, but some of my colonists managed to escape as a result an im sure they went on to live with the tribals and help uplift them lol

Rafe009

In A13 i had a colony that began construction at the mouth of a valley enclosing the interior valley behind my walls. As time progressed I expanded room by room into the valley taking advantage of the thick mountain for defense against raiders, only one direction was suitable or assault by them; Tynaan had just released the bugs at that time and i did not dig into the mountain immediately for fear of releasing something i couldn't control.

I noticed the first winter that there were still animals in the valley, imprisoned from the wildlife beyond due to my building methods. As winter does it destroyed all the grass and bushes and soon i realized, clicking on the many squirrels, wild boar and deer they were malnourished. I quickly started making kibble and brought it out to them and they happily ran the fresh food the next morning.

Of course this couldn't go on forever, it was taxing labor and resource wise. All the animals i beneficently fed out of the kindness of my heart eventually ended up in my freezer but for a winter or two I kept them alive.

Hopefully i can get some PETA points for my devotion to animal preservation, both in it's natural habitat and in how I rarely had anything spoil in my freezer for a few years.

Wex

I help any poor soul that falls on my colony.
Those spacers deserve it. They didn't do anything to me.
If they are useful, I try to convice to stay in the colony; othewise, it's meds, a healing period and you can go your way.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

zandadoum

I had an elderly lady who quickly became the leader of my colony.
Years later she got cataracts so she had to stop hunting but became a brilliant cook.

She died of heart attack one day. I build her a precious crypt that others would visit.

I didn't plan to leave the planet, but I build a ship just to send her corpse to space.

ReZpawner

I tortured, murdered and turned Tynan into a hat. He's the man responsible for all this horrible violence in Rimworld, so I think that should count.

Dunbal

Quote from: Rafe009 on August 23, 2016, 11:17:15 PM

All the animals i beneficently fed out of the kindness of my heart eventually ended up in my freezer

[]

Hopefully i can get some PETA points for my devotion to animal preservation

Hey, it's not like PETA has never been caught with animals in their freezers, too! Also PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals  ;D

keylocke

i rescue people and replace their limbs with wooden replacements before sending them out on their merry way. this is to prevent them from being too depressed about their squishy meat-sack inferior bodies.

tru story.

BlueWinds

I'm not sure I have any specific nice incidents, but in general I run my colonies as friendly and moral as possible, places of refuge from the harshness of a violent world.

- Downed raiders are rescued, healed and released (unless they're going to be recruited). "Healed" includes until they fight off any infections. No organs are ever harvested, and prisoners they eat the same meals as my colonists. Enemies get to keep their clothes (though not armor / shields).
- Dead enemies are incinerated. My wargs / wolves / jaguars eat animal meat, not corpses.
- Crashed spacers are rescued, healed and released.
- All calls for help are answered, though I sometimes send the "new colonist" to the edge of the map and then edit them out of my save file (pretending to send them on their way) once the fighting is done.
- Colonists have their own individual pleasantly sized rooms. They eat fine meals if I can manage it, or simple if not. I spend all produced colony wealth either on defense, or on improving my pawns happiness.

Occasionally I'll break these rules, but only when the survival of the colony is at stake (ie, not having enough medicine to treat prisoners' infections).

ahowe42

Quote from: rexx1888 on August 23, 2016, 10:37:18 PM
Because there is far to much talk of insane cannibal colonies, lets try to celebrate some of the nice things you can do in this game O.o

for me, im a big fan of releasing tribals. I know i could butcher them, or sell them, or attempt to slowly convince them to join me. The reality though is that if i release them, they go off an tell all their bros about how rad my colony is, an then i dont have to shoot anymore tribals. Its just one of those rad perks of not being a sadistic dick :)

An as an extra bonus, sometimes the tribals roll up when im in trouble an try to save my ass. Like one time, i ended having a colony destroying infestation, and the tribals rolled up with like 20 dudes an went ape on the bugs. I mean, it was hopeless, but some of my colonists managed to escape as a result an im sure they went on to live with the tribals and help uplift them lol

Hey that's awesome.  I have never released a prisoner, fearing they'd just attack my colonists.  In fact, since I've had such bad luck with recruiting, I generally just kill downed raiders.  You've given me a way to redeem myself and feel a bit better about my sad sad rimworld life :-).

Andrew

Shurp

I treat all tribals, spacers, and pirates, but I admit my motivation is a bit more practical -- I just want to give my doctors more experience. 
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

asanbr

I kept some chickens and pigs and they bred in a heated indoor area. It was my first animal farm and I enjoyed it even though it was economically pointless, since just growing plants would yield more food than growing chicken feed.

Then came a toxic fallout and this was before I learned about restricted animal zones. No more farm.

I didn't even eat the meat because I thought the meat would be poisonous. Such high expectation of realism I had back in A12. Good old days.

taha

List of nice things I've done for a while:
- healing spacers
- healing and releasing some raiders, recruiting others (no unnecessary body parts replacement - see below why)
- not selling 99% difficulty prisoners, releasing them instead
- euthanasing untreatable patients despite long mod debuff
- feeding prisoners with fine / lavish meals
- "miraculously wonderful holding cell" with masterwork beds, table and chairs, even a small statue.

That being said, being nice does not pays off. That warn fuzzy feeling vanish in a second when your well feed, well treated prisoners try to break out and attack/kill colony cat in process, just to be offed by outside turrets. Or when your freshly released prisoner intersect with a trader from a rival faction. Or when your healed spacer meets the manhunting warg horde. Those +15 might not mean much, but I expected them as a small "thanks" for my efforts.

Now 99% from my colonies have human meat as regular diet, and anyone that becomes a liability is killed and cooked. Life is much simpler now. And easier.

However I do have a question. If I replace an organic leg with a peg leg, where the hell is the original leg? More specific, the meat and the skin. As long I spend 1 wood for the peg leg, I kinda want the meat in return, ok? :P

Caphriel

My colonists and faithful animals final resting place is in a field of daylilies: Entombed in sarcophagi carved with depictions of their achievements, during their brief yet eventful time on this planet.

My surviving colonists find inner peace by visiting this place before they meet their impending doom have to get back to work.