[quick question] steam workshop vs manual downloaded mods

Started by Yodarkore, August 24, 2016, 07:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yodarkore

What's the difference between subscribing mods in the steam workshop and manually downloading them?

Is that only related to saved game corruption? I'm used to mod a lot in other games, so I dont bother upgrading mods as I can usually upgrade them myself. Steam workshop insure latest mod version to be available, but so far, (im new player here), i read in multiple places its safer (for this game) to manually install them. Toughts on it?

Edit: Typo

DariusWolfe

The only effective difference (that I'm aware of) is in updating. With Steam, you always have the latest version of a mod, whether you want it or not.

I subscribe to about half of my mods from Steam right now, just for convenience; I also tend to restart a lot, so I'm not overly worried about changes in the game or my mods breaking my saves. If I had a dedicated mod manager a la Nexus Mod Manager, I wouldn't subscribe to Steam at all, but it's a hassle to manually update a bunch of mods, using the existing system.

Yodarkore

Ok thanks for replies. It is what i was expecting for, as usual for any steam workshopped game. So far I'm getting my hands on vanilla altough it is very tempting to get mods. Any suggestions on some "must have" mods for quality of life, and that is not too cheaty: I tried the prepare carefuly, altough very neat to create my own colonists, i feel its is rather cheaty to put them in best shape to colonize that rimworld so i went back to vanilla until i really feel i need a mod, i'm still learning the ropes, got heatwaved on day 9 because AI recognized i didnt understood how to build conditioners :p

Adventurer

People interested in the DRM-Free version of the game that buy it from this website will not have access to the Steam Workshop.

Yodarkore

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 26, 2016, 09:12:20 AM
I made a list not so long ago : https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/4xozk4/looking_for_mods_that_expand_gameplay_without/d6h9loh

All i was looking for! I did try your mod "a dog said" even if i dont need it, at least yet, (with the cats diversified compatible mod, moar cats ftw! :p ), I could be really in a bad mood and go for a rampage if i couldnt save my favorite husky! :)