[A18] Improved Surgery

Started by twoski, August 24, 2016, 11:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adalah217

Quote from: faltonico on January 03, 2017, 03:08:24 AM
I ragequited my current A16 colony because fixing a toe chopped up the whole leg of one of my pawns...
I refuse to play without this mod now... I went back to my A15 colony -_-'

You can fix body parts in dev mode for little things like that ;D

twoski

can anyone confirm whether failures in .16 still destroy prosthetics?

i was told that .16 has much less random failures in surgery so this mod will likely become obsolete. if failures destroy prosthetics still then i might patch it to not delete them

swampslug

As far as I can tell failures still destroy prostheses. Furthermore the medical potency of medicine has been reduced so surgery failure is more likely with anything less than Glitterworld medicine.
To balance this, there is a 50% chance of a failure being minor (prosthesis lost and minor damage to target area or directly connected body part), a 40% chance of a failure being critical (as minor but more damaging) and a 10% chance of it being ridiculous (lots of damage and random body part affected).

jmababa

could you post where we can download alternate than steam the improved surgery using ludeon site version of game and don't want to put it on steam

twoski

https://bitbucket.org/twoski/rimworldmods/downloads

note that it only works in a15 for the time being.

since people still seem to have a lot of issues with surgery failures i will be updating this mod to a16 soon

twoski

Okay so i looked through the surgery failure code and it looks like they did add localized damage in the minor and catastrophic failures. So when you get a minor failure the damage will be near the part being operated on.

That said, failing to install implants will still destroy them (which is nonsense in my opinion) so it looks like this mod is still relevant.

Check the OP for the latest update.

Thirite

Awesome, I was waiting for this mod to get updated.

Jorlem

Quote from: twoski on January 19, 2017, 06:50:38 PM
Okay so i looked through the surgery failure code and it looks like they did add localized damage in the minor and catastrophic failures. So when you get a minor failure the damage will be near the part being operated on.

That said, failing to install implants will still destroy them (which is nonsense in my opinion) so it looks like this mod is still relevant.

Check the OP for the latest update.
Does the update fix the ridiculous failure rates in A16 as well?

twoski

Compared to A15, A16 has almost identical failure rates. The only difference is that they introduced a new level of failure. I will attempt to explain (roughly) how the failures work using 10-sided dice.

In vanilla a15 failures:

Roll a d10. If the number is 5 or more, the failure is minor. If the number is 4 or less, the failure is catastrophic.

In vanilla a16 failures:

Roll a d10. If the number is 5 or more, the failure is minor. If the number is 4 or less, roll again.
If the new number is 2 or higher, the failure is catastrophic. If the number is 1, the failure is "ridiculous".

In Improved Surgery a16 failures:

Roll a d10. If the number is 4 or more, the failure is minor. If the number is 3 or less, roll again.
If the new number is 2 or higher, the failure is catastrophic. If the number is 1, roll again.
If the new number is 7 or higher, the failure is "ridiculous". Otherwise, the failure is catastrophic and will guarantee an infection.

I think my version is a lot better balanced. I made minor failures more likely to be the outcome by tweaking the thresholds, and i also added an extra tier of failure before "ridiculous". So in practice, it will be extremely rare to cause ridiculous failures.

One thing that i think would be interesting to implement would be some sort of weighting system based on skill. Unskilled doctors should have a greater chance to cause catastrophic failures (or worse).

Jorlem

Quote from: twoski on January 20, 2017, 08:43:48 AM
Compared to A15, A16 has almost identical failure rates.
As I understand it, the change in A16 was a massive nerf to medicine (except glitter), not to the surgery success rates themselves. As all surgeries require meds of some sort, the end result is that surgeries fail far more often than they did in earlier alphas.  See this thread for more detail.

twoski

ah, i worded it poorly. i should say, compared to a15, a16 failures are nearly identical in execution, but more common due to the nerfing of medicine. so there's a bit of confirmation bias i think.

twoski

Okay, i've made some minor tweaks to medical potency:

- Herbal medicine is now 0.5 potency (was 0.4)
- Regular medicine is now 0.75 potency (was 0.7)
- Glitterworld medicine is now 1.5 potency (was 1.6)

Based off the potency chart on the wiki, glitterworld was a bit over the top and herbal medicine was pretty crap. So this effectively equalizes things a bit better and you can see now based on the new numbers that regular medicine is 150% better than herbal, and glitterworld medicine is 200% better than regular.

Jorlem

:D

Thank you. It has been immensely frustrating watching my skill 16 doctor consistently fail to put peg legs on prisoners, and kill them when giving them dentures.

Jorlem

Sorry for the double post, but I needed to report a weird bug that I'm seeing now with the mod enabled.  When I had my best surgeon try to install a peg leg on someone that had their right leg shot off, the surgeon kept repeating the operation until it failed catastrophically.  That is, a successful operation consumed the log and the herbal med, but did not add the peg leg to the character, and the surgery bill was not cleared until the operation failed.

twoski

So you have any other surgery mods? I'll look into it and see if I can find any issues on my end