Most tamed animals are garbage

Started by Edixo, August 25, 2016, 05:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8roads

Do any of you guys feed big animals nutrient paste?

eadras

Animals can't use the nutrient paste dispenser, so I'm not if there is an efficient way to do it.  If the dispenser had an automatic mode with a bill, and could just pump out x number of meals, that would be awesome.  Right now I just have it in my prison barracks - saves my warden a ton of time running back and forth with meals.

8roads

Quote from: eadras on August 26, 2016, 12:02:30 AM
Animals can't use the nutrient paste dispenser, so I'm not if there is an efficient way to do it.  If the dispenser had an automatic mode with a bill, and could just pump out x number of meals, that would be awesome.  Right now I just have it in my prison barracks - saves my warden a ton of time running back and forth with meals.

1. wait till a pawn takes paste, pause game.
2. draft the pawn, the pawn drops the paste
3. undraft the pawn, the pawn takes another paste
repeat...

Kagemusha12

Quote from: 8roads on August 26, 2016, 12:09:39 AM

repeat...

Sounds like a lot of micromanagement.
Probably better invested into making Kibble (which, after all, can use hay as vegetable ingredient

8roads

Quote from: Kagemusha12 on August 26, 2016, 01:02:03 AM
Quote from: 8roads on August 26, 2016, 12:09:39 AM

repeat...

Sounds like a lot of micromanagement.
Probably better invested into making Kibble (which, after all, can use hay as vegetable ingredient

not really. just click the same button. 2 clicks, 1 paste. that actually feels quite rewarding
if only pastes can be fed to my turkeys without waste  :-(

iceteazz

I actually learn on this forum how to make your combat animals useful : use an animal combat zone with only 1 square that take place on the raider's way to your base, or the narrow channel in your defence, or even in a open battle field where you want to fight. There, when raiders come, let all your combat pets go to combat zone, tada, 5 bears 10 dogs etc at one tiny square will make them incredible powerful melee troops that can slay any raiders near them, you can place another zone and delete old one and animals will come to that place, then indirectly control those pets to fight :)

CannibarRechter

That's an exploit, though. Not really that different than invoking developer mode, and using the Delete button on enemy troops.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Darkhymn

Clearly you've never bred wargs and wolves as pets. My colony has more angry teeth and jaws than humans, and let me tell you, they can rip into a raid with a vengeance.
Quote from: Mutineer on August 25, 2016, 06:50:07 PM
Remove them from list of masters before fight.
Also this indeed fixes the bonded deaths thing. Just send bonded animals home and use the unbonded ones to maul your enemies.

night777

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 25, 2016, 04:20:02 PM
I am not 100% sure but I believe A15 changed animals a little bit. I had over a dozen huskies (somewhere around 20-24), and over the period of a year only one became bonded to a pawn. Before I had 3 muffalo bonding to one pawn in a single milking session, so it seems they have really toned down the random animal bonding, without reducing nuzzling.

As for following into battle, yea, I wish I could define which animals are battle animals and which are not, so I don't have to constantly remove ownership before sending pawns out to fight. BUT things like elephants make AMAZING hunter companions, they just trample any animals that seek revenge.

For the eating of food, I found a tactic that reduces it by ~95%(for huskies that is). Placing a single tile stockpile of kibble outside the freezer entrances on each side of the door ensure that the kibble will be the first thing they path to for food from the outside. When they are on long hauling trips they still rarely eat inside the freezer once they drop off the stuff, but it is at an extremely reduced rate.

If you don't want to make kibble all the time consider using pigs or boars for hauling, they can eat hay instead, which is very plentiful unlike meat, but you have to deal with the increased dirt scatter that they produce.

As far as rescue and haul, they aren't useless, you just have to fully train them(hauling has to reach 8/8 before they will haul). A pack of a dozen or so fully trained can pretty much take care of all my hauling needs. (also, how do you expect to get to lvl 15 training unless you, you know, practice training?) Sure it takes a while, but what else are they doing in that time? Nothing! May as well train them to increase animal handling, and eventually have a pack of haulers.

Thanks for the tip on placing kibble/hay outside the freezer, I'll add to that placing it outside of the entrance to the dining room. Having animals move my food to the dinner table and giving them more free roam is great, and was really annoying having to work with the animal zone to keep them away from foodstuffs.

kasnavada

Quote from: Darkhymn on August 26, 2016, 04:00:24 PM
Clearly you've never bred wargs and wolves as pets. My colony has more angry teeth and jaws than humans, and let me tell you, they can rip into a raid with a vengeance.
Quote from: Mutineer on August 25, 2016, 06:50:07 PM
Remove them from list of masters before fight.
Also this indeed fixes the bonded deaths thing. Just send bonded animals home and use the unbonded ones to maul your enemies.

That part is the annoying one, having to remove the bonded when being raided.
There's a mod for that (allows to take animals for hunts and drafting or not) which IMO should be in the base game...

8roads

Quote from: Darkhymn on August 26, 2016, 04:00:24 PM

But is it possible to make wargs and wolves take more initiative without training?
It seemed to me they always let raiders assault them first.
Maybe pigs and boars are good enough?

TheDirge

The only problem i have is the mood debuff colonists get when a bonded pet dies while it's just bred for combat

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: TheDirge on August 27, 2016, 03:49:19 AM
The only problem i have is the mood debuff colonists get when a bonded pet dies while it's just bred for combat

Anecdotal evidence suggests they have greatly reduced the instances of animal bonding in A15. In A14 my colonist would bond to 3 muffalo every time she went to milk them(I had 18 I think). In A15 I trained around two dozen huskies (all spawned from 3-4 I bought, so it was over quite some time) and in the time it took me to train them all fully for hauling I only had one instance of one bonding to the trainer.

Shurp

So how do you avoid the problem of friendly fire?  it seems to me that if I have a pack of boars chewing on pirates while my colonists are shooting at them that a lot of them will get shot up badly.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

keylocke

don't shoot at your pawns already engaged in melee combat. try to find other targets or join in on the fun with a sucker punch.