Large, Scary, Infestation

Started by Njn0225, August 27, 2016, 07:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Njn0225

Ok, we have an infestation, and unfortunately its right inside my compacted steel mine, we have yet to haul it back and may never get to if we don't find a safe way to deal with these. Can anyone give some suggestions on how I should deal with these bugs in a safe and effective manner? We have one minigun person, two charge rifle people, we have some other weapons for the three fighters too such as snipers and survival rifles.

UPDATE: A friendly group of people from my ally Affection's Rock come through, they were slaughtered, also a bear went in too, it too was slaughtered.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

kuledude

You can snipe out the nests from the other side if you mine it out

ShadowTani

Seems to be just a few. Even if they are insects they don't really have a hive mind AI, so you can safely shot at one to draw its attention without necessarily all of them becoming alert of you as well. You can deal with this using your fastest charge rifle guy (due to the combination of accuracy, damage and speed it's one of the better weapons for luring purposes). Prepare your other colonists in the background and use the charge rifle pawn to get the attention of the insects. Once you got one or a couple of bugs coming after you then move away until the insect(s) stop following. This is when you jump in with all your people and shot at them while they crawl back to their nests. Rinse and repeat, then move in to clear out the nests, unless you want to maintain a jelly farm.

Wex

How to fight insects:

• Mine a large complex
  • Have long corridors
  • Use automatic weapons
I use 6 person cleaning teams.
It works beautifully.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

TheDirge

Just close of the area with a door and then make some freezers when they sleep and turn them into bugsicles

Shurp

The right side looks like there may be a ceiling missing.  So freezing/baking may not work.  Like the earlier poster suggested, your safest bet is to let them out in the open, then play shoot and scoot with them.  Only the big guys are as fast as your colonists.  Let them chase your fastest colonist as bait while everyone else spread out in a big circle shoots them.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

SpaceDorf

Build doors on both sides and play ping pong
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

John_Bigless

Quote from: kuledude on August 27, 2016, 07:40:18 PM
You can snipe out the nests from the other side if you mine it out
The insectoids would notice, i preffer burning the nest with molotov coctails and then taking them out one by one.