Maximum of animals on the map?

Started by Mishka, August 28, 2016, 03:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mishka

Hi, I play tribal cold tundra map. One of key ingrediences to surviving winter is having a lot of big animals to slauther in case things to bad.

So I have gone crazy with taming at the beginning of play and now I have about 50 animals tamed, mostly Karibou. The thing is, while they still keep breeding (unless they miscarry from malnutrition), it has been more than half a year since any new wild animal appeared in my map. And Im speaking through summer when temperatures are... survivable outside.

Is there any limitation set in-game that discourages new animals from spawning on map depending on how many animals there already is? Or is it just bad luck?

Grishnerf

yes there is a Limit. dont know the exact number.
also depends on your map size how many animals are possible.

on world creation under advanced you can increae the mapsize up to 400x400.
i have around ~90 animals for meat,eggs,wool and milk
and my map is still full with wild animals. so maybe it is your mapsize + biome.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

eadras

Quote from: Mishka on August 28, 2016, 03:24:24 AM
Hi, I play tribal cold tundra map. One of key ingrediences to surviving winter is having a lot of big animals to slauther in case things to bad.

So I have gone crazy with taming at the beginning of play and now I have about 50 animals tamed, mostly Karibou. The thing is, while they still keep breeding (unless they miscarry from malnutrition), it has been more than half a year since any new wild animal appeared in my map. And Im speaking through summer when temperatures are... survivable outside.

Is there any limitation set in-game that discourages new animals from spawning on map depending on how many animals there already is? Or is it just bad luck?
I have the same situation in the same biome.  It's been over 4 years since a wild animal appeared on the map.  I did a test and slaughtered most of my tamed animals, and wild animals started spawning again.  This is a bug imo, and I posted in the bug report forum about it.  There is no reason wild animal population should become extinct due to domesticated animal population.

8roads

go find Mods\Core\Defs\BiomeDefs\Biomes_Moderate.xml
edit <animalDensity>
not really a solution
but it helps.

eadras

Good enough for a fast and dirty fix.  Thanks, 8roads.

8roads

Quote from: eadras on August 28, 2016, 02:16:18 PM
Good enough for a fast and dirty fix.  Thanks, 8roads.

you are welcome!
and i forgot to mention "Biome_Arid" and "Biomes_Cold.xml"...