game-breaking update (v15) - not cool, rimworld developers

Started by pawn_of_destiny, August 28, 2016, 04:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 28, 2016, 06:44:50 PMSteam doesn't have a "do not update" feature...

It has been an eternity since I last used Steam, and you're correct, they've finally removed the feature (I just checked).

PotatoeTater

You can stop the autoupdate. Steam will still que up the item into your download list; however, you can set it so it will not start updating games from your que until you manually approve them. It is not that hard to do.
Life is Strange

NolanSyKinsley

You can also use steamcmd to force a different install directory, and run it from there. Steam will then not update it unless you do so with steamcmd.

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: PotatoeTater on August 28, 2016, 07:01:00 PM
You can stop the autoupdate. Steam will still que up the item into your download list; however, you can set it so it will not start updating games from your que until you manually approve them. It is not that hard to do.

You can also chose not to use Steam.

Maybe is it a concept that's difficult to understand for some, but it has been working perfectly fine for me.

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 28, 2016, 07:03:32 PMYou can also use steamcmd to force a different install directory, and run it from there. Steam will then not update it unless you do so with steamcmd.

You and I know what steamcmd is (thanks to you, by the way), and how it could work for Rimworld, because it seems that the game doesn't need to be connected to Steam to run (I wouldn't know, I bought my copy directly from this site).

I wouldn't know about most other players using Steam however. Usually, it's "the simpler the better" for everyone.

Tynan

I feel the pain.

Unfortunately I can't email you ahead of time since I don't know your email. Valve doesn't give developers identifying information about players who buy the game on Steam.

However, you shouldn't have lost anything. You should be able to set the game back to alpha14 as others have explained, and continue where you left off.

The exception would be in case a modder updated their mod, which could cause trouble, unless you copy the mod files out to prevent them from changing.

Unfortunately Steam really doesn't offer good solutions for this kind of situation; they designed the whole thing for finished games that don't change much. For a game under an aggressive development schedule like RimWorld, with major structural changes and redesigns on a regular basis, that's a problem. I'm frustrated with Steam's lack of support here so I plan on trying to get them to make an effort to improve this. It is a serious hindrance.

QuoteWho's to say that my next game won't be destroyed tomorrow, or next week, or next month?

I can say that for certain, your game won't be wiped any time soon.

You could follow the blog to get a warning for the next update (ludeon.com). Or my Twitter. But as I said before, we have no way of contacting you to warn you.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

warden

Happened here too, saved my game last night thinking i'd built the most functional colony so far. Which won't work today, because even if i go back to A14 on Steam, my mods have already been updated. Sure, there may be a way to get it all back, but it's a much bigger hassle than to simply restart the game once all mods i want are updated to A15.

This isn't the developer's fault, this lies solely on Steam.

Grishnerf

even not steams fault.

it is the Workshop that makes Problems.
if you use steam and MANUALLY install all mods, you wont have any Problems going back to 14 with your mods on steam now.
Problem is, most People dont know hwere to find the mods or dont want to waste their time looking.
so in the end, it is the users fault for using mods, they have no clue about, how they work on an Alpha game.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

warden

Quote from: Grishnerf on August 29, 2016, 01:18:50 AM
even not steams fault.

if you use steam and MANUALLY install all mods, you wont have any Problems going back to 14 with your mods on steam now.
Problem is, most People dont know hwere to find the mods or dont want to waste their time looking.
so in the end, it is the users fault for using mods, they have no clue about, how they work on an Alpha game.

Not really, it's still Steam's fault for not providing a way to manually update games AND related mods. There is no excuse for forcing updates, not for Microsoft, not for Steam, not for anyone. That alone would solve this issue completely, i would set auto-updates OFF, finish my colony and then see if enough mods are updated to start a new one.

Don't blame the end user for a shitty system on the other end of the chain.

Dunbal

Seconded that Ludeon should freeze all development on Rimworld so that save games don't get broken...

Seriously, talk about your first world problems.

Grishnerf

Quote from: warden on August 29, 2016, 01:32:38 AM
Quote from: Grishnerf on August 29, 2016, 01:18:50 AM
even not steams fault.

Not really, it's still Steam's fault for not providing a way to manually update games AND related mods. There is no excuse for forcing updates, not for Microsoft, not for Steam, not for anyone. That alone would solve this issue completely, i would set auto-updates OFF, finish my colony and then see if enough mods are updated to start a new one.

Don't blame the end user for a shitty system on the other end of the chain.

totally true, im also not a fan of that steam Workshop System.
but in the end, it is the users Problem, if they dont make their Research of how to use mods properly.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Thorin

Quote from: ThiIsMe007 on August 28, 2016, 05:15:17 PM
Make yourself a favor in the future (and I'll repeat what I've already said before on these forums) : do not buy games on Steam (or other DRM-enforced platforms, like Origin) that you intend to play modded. Favor options where YOU decide what to do with the game. Buy them directly from the dev (which also increases their income for each sale!), on GOG or equivalent sites if they still exist.

+1 And this is exactly why I don't (or at least very hesitant) buy games on steam.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

mumblemumble

Tynan, couldn't you use the steam news feed for rimworld to send this message? Just a thought...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ArtisticFarmer

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 28, 2016, 04:57:17 PM
In steam right click on rimworld>properties>beta tab, in the dropdown select the a14 and close the dialogue. Mods may not work though as they are updating to A15.

Thank you! Y'know, every once in a while it isn't so bad being the dummy who doesn't mod...