Volcanic eruptions

Started by Simon_The_Space_Engineer, August 28, 2016, 04:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

So I read a suggestion about changing bugs to capture colonist instead of kill (great idea btw) and thought "why would they be added in the first place?" I came to the answer "to drive people out of the mountains and make them have an open base!" well so many people have taken to using them as an exploitable food source and even shooting range (with mods). If there where volcanic eruptions (there are steam geysers, doesn't that mean there should be some lava at some point?). obviously this would be a serious disaster (especially if a colonist gets trapped behind lava) so there should be some things to compansate, such as a lava proof suit (very rare and expensive, but worth it to save your colony doctor) or maybe pods colonists can hide in until the lava cools and your others can dig them out (might get sick from all the ash though). Not only would it present a great deterent but it also could allow for more compact steel and plasteel to spawn on the map. Plus itd be funny to watch someone find out a way to use it against raiders.
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Draegon

This would be a really neat idea, especially if a volcanic biome was added. They could be hotter near lava and wood would automatically catch on fire near lava, plus there would be VERY few animals but the dirt would be extra fertile. Perhaps there could be lava flow areas around the map that would be regular rock ground most of the time but gets covered with lava when there is an eruption event. And you'd have to worry about health issues because of the ash.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

in that case you might as well add gas masks as well to help protect the colonists that are near the ash (keep people with asthma alive and people without it from getting an infection or something in their lungs such as valley fever)

(link to the wiki page if your not familiar with what valley fever is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidioidomycosis )
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Chibiabos

On-map volcanic eruptions really wouldn't be viable.  Even 'small' volcanic eruptions would swallow the map, you really wouldn't have anywhere safe to build any building nor grow any crops that wouldn't be wiped out by the blast, fires or ash.

There /are/ volcanic eruptions in the game, they're distant and generate 'Volcanic Winters.'  They were deemed a mega-disaster and, I think, relegated to harder game levels along with Toxic Fallout (which I find to be the worst).
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

O Negative

I agree with Chibiabos. As cool of an idea as volcanic eruptions are (because they're absolutely devastating), they're just not viable on these map sizes. If you wanted to make volcanic eruptions viable on these map sizes, I have a feeling they would be seriously underwhelming...