[A13] Modular Solar Panels (1.11)

Started by Kirid, March 11, 2014, 09:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirid

Updated! Now change charge depending on light level!

Give it a try Vas!
Thanks to JackQW for his dll example, and pawnstorm for teaching me what I needed to write it up myself.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Vas

Yay, it now depends on light.  :P  it still produces 4 less power than normal solar panels but eh, that's fine.  :P  Now if only you could make it a roof instead of floor like tile.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Kirid

Yeah the panels would have to produce 106.25 each to be equal with solar panels, which would make some really odd numbers at points, So you give up 4 power for convenience of tinyness.
No idea how to make a new roof, but I'm looking into it.

Vas

Quote from: Kirid on April 28, 2014, 07:55:16 PM
Yeah the panels would have to produce 106.25 each to be equal with solar panels, which would make some really odd numbers at points, So you give up 4 power for convenience of tinyness.
No idea how to make a new roof, but I'm looking into it.
I believe the game would require multiple build levels to be able to build a roof.  I doubt it'll be possible.  Roof panels would be good though because they would be out of your way and such.  They should not however forward power down, only by touching a power forwarding wall can  they supply power to the stuff below them.  In case you figure out a way to do it.I really think the game could be much nicer if they'd allow 3 levels to build with, so you could build roofs on top level, everything on middle, and only certain objects like underground pipes or wires on bottom level.  Colonists wouldn't be able to leave middle level ever.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Kirid

Quote from: Vas on April 28, 2014, 09:02:33 PM
I believe the game would require multiple build levels to be able to build a roof.  I doubt it'll be possible.  Roof panels would be good though because they would be out of your way and such.  They should not however forward power down, only by touching a power forwarding wall can  they supply power to the stuff below them.  In case you figure out a way to do it.I really think the game could be much nicer if they'd allow 3 levels to build with, so you could build roofs on top level, everything on middle, and only certain objects like underground pipes or wires on bottom level.  Colonists wouldn't be able to leave middle level ever.
It would probably fix all the issues with roofed and non-roofed areas. That whole system is super screwy.
And you could build different roof types besides factory standard corrugated steel coated in invisi-spray.
Plenty of games have a level dedicated just to utilites.
If we're talking hypothetical extra z-levels; I would definitely want just one more level for building.
A second floor is very common in buildings, especially western towns, almost all those buildings are 2 stories high.
The old west just so happens to be a core theme of rimworld.  :'( But Tynan already said never on z-levels right?
I think once you start with z levels it becomes, well why not 3, why not 10, why not 60, why not infinite.

Vas

Quote from: Kirid on April 28, 2014, 09:45:20 PM
It would probably fix all the issues with roofed and non-roofed areas. That whole system is super screwy.
And you could build different roof types besides factory standard corrugated steel coated in invisi-spray.
Plenty of games have a level dedicated just to utilites.
If we're talking hypothetical extra z-levels; I would definitely want just one more level for building.
A second floor is very common in buildings, especially western towns, almost all those buildings are 2 stories high.
The old west just so happens to be a core theme of rimworld.  :'( But Tynan already said never on z-levels right?
I think once you start with z levels it becomes, well why not 3, why not 10, why not 60, why not infinite.

Well, I'm only asking for 3 levels, under, main, roof.  At very absolute most, 4 levels for double layered buildings, but that isn't necessary at all.  What is necessary is the ability to build different roofing.  So at super very ultra LEAST, 2 levels, one for main, one for roof.

jamieg

so they are working like real solar panels now?
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Kirid

Quote from: jamieg on April 29, 2014, 04:23:29 PM
so they are working like real solar panels now?
Yeah. Night off, full sun=full charge, and varies between.

Just notes:
.003% less power produced for easier math.
The power bar that shows the charge is removed (you can see it go up and down on the regular solars), that was actually the problem in the first place. I could make them act like normal solars but each panel had that huge charge bar. Does anyone want a little charge bar for each panel? I'm pretty sure that's possible.

Austupaio

Personally, I'd like the bar, yeah.

Secondary, but I'd also prefer they were much less efficienct than the true solar panel building. You can place them anywhere, they're cheap, they're walk-able and raiders don't target them, plus for all that you lose a neglible amount of power. Doesn't feel super balanced to me.

Neat mod though, I do like having these when a full 4X4 building just isn't possible.

jamieg

awesome, im gunna play it a few day with the mod pack, if it works fine is it still cool to add it with next update?
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Kirid

Quote from: Austupaio on April 29, 2014, 05:46:52 PM
Personally, I'd like the bar, yeah.
Secondary, but I'd also prefer they were much less efficienct than the true solar panel building. You can place them anywhere, they're cheap, they're walk-able and raiders don't target them, plus for all that you lose a neglible amount of power. Doesn't feel super balanced to me.
Neat mod though, I do like having these when a full 4X4 building just isn't possible.
Thanks for the feedback!
Now I have them working I can do improvements. New texture, power bar.
Now sure where to make the targetable.
They have low heath, and get destroyed sometimes, from fire often or if placed near targeted objects. Though I increased the health from 30 to 50 with this last update.
16 of them takes up the same space and metal cost(80) as a big solar. Not so OP, they end up costing you more if even 1 gets destroyed.
I'm almost thinking of making them charge more, but be that much weaker (and cost more).

Quote from: jamieg on April 29, 2014, 06:05:07 PM
awesome, im gunna play it a few day with the mod pack, if it works fine is it still cool to add it with next update?

Yeah that's cool ;D I'm pretty sure it's bugless and compatible with everything. Going to run a test game here in a bit.

knoedel90

Kirid

Quote from: knoedel90 on June 30, 2014, 05:31:25 AM
we Need an upadate to Alpha 4.
They have been broken since Alpha 4, they dont charge.
I'm trying to solve it, but it looks like Alpha 5 might get released before I do.
Didn't know anyone liked the mod much so I swept it under the rug

Cala13er

Quote from: Kirid on June 30, 2014, 11:35:33 PM
I'm trying to solve it, but it looks like Alpha 5 might get released before I do.

I updated them to Alpha 4 myself and they work perfectly fine? Yeah I changed a few bits here and there but works like it should. I'll send you the code.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Cala13er on July 02, 2014, 07:19:07 AM
Quote from: Kirid on June 30, 2014, 11:35:33 PM

I updated them to Alpha 4 myself and they work perfectly fine? Yeah I changed a few bits here and there but works like it should. I'll send you the code.

Woo, send me some of that code, too. Perhaps just upload it here? Also, will it work with A5?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here