Totally uninstalling the Steam version of this game

Started by Mese, August 28, 2016, 04:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mese

As the title states I want to totally uninstall the steam version.

I want to go back to my version 14 with all the mods I have ... the steam update just broke everything :(

Getting this game on steam was the worst thing I ever did ... it was way better before steam came into the mix

NolanSyKinsley

in steam right click on rimworld>properties>beta tab, in the dropdown select the a14 and close the dialogue. As for the mods, you will have to manually grab those from the forum, or use steamcmd to grab them.

KillTyrant

Quote from: Mese on August 28, 2016, 04:48:26 PM
As the title states I want to totally uninstall the steam version.

I want to go back to my version 14 with all the mods I have ... the steam update just broke everything :(

Getting this game on steam was the worst thing I ever did ... it was way better before steam came into the mix

You can revert back to a previous version via game properties when you right click the game in your library. I would suggest making a copy of that installation as versions older than 2-3 iterations tend to disappear from the list.

EDIT

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/4zrotj/guide_how_to_update_an_a14_save_to_a15/

Mese

Yeah , I did that .. but my mods were all messed up and didn't work .. so the save I had was unavailable

eadras

Unsubscribe from the mods on steam.  Delete all the mods from your Rimworld/mods folder (write the list and load order down first).  Then manually download and install the A14 versions of the mods from these forums.  Your save game should then load.

ThiIsMe007

You can also buy the game directly from the dev on the Ludeon site here, not to have to deal with the same issue again in the future.

I'll leave you judge as to what is simpler : messing with Steam settings that don't work, tweaking save-games at each new sub-version, or just avoid Steam like the pest in the future for modded games.

eadras

Rimworld runs fine on steam - just don't use the workshop for modding.

mrofa

If you dont like the steam updates then just go to steam directory and copy rimworld somwhere else and use that copy. Steam wont update mods or game that are not in his directory. If you dont like steam in general but you got a steam version, do the same, game dont need steam on to work, when you get the popup that steam is off just commit ultra hacking technique of pressing ESC and your in :D
All i do is clutter all around.

kasnavada

Is this guy seriously bashing that a game in alpha broke his saves ?

Mese

No , This GIRL is seriously bashing the steam update , not the game

I love this game and have been playing since the alphas were in single figures , lol
Its steam I hate right now , NOT Rimworld

CannibarRechter

> Is this guy seriously bashing that a game in alpha broke his saves ?

No, she wasn't. In any case, this game is nothing like an "alpha" at all. I wouldn't even characterize it as beta. Tynan is just... whatever it is he is doing with his releases. ;-P
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Lockdown

You can disable updates on a game-by-game basis in Steam, so it doesn't happen in the future without your consent. But using the Steam Workshop for mods is a really bad idea if you want to finish your current A14 colony. As soon as one of the mods you're using updates to A15, Steam will forcibly update it and ruin everything.

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: CannibarRechter on August 28, 2016, 06:56:35 PM
> Is this guy seriously bashing that a game in alpha broke his saves ?

No, she wasn't. In any case, this game is nothing like an "alpha" at all. I wouldn't even characterize it as beta. Tynan is just... whatever it is he is doing with his releases. ;-P

I hate this, I hate this so much. The game most definitely IS in alpha, it has bugs, it is being actively developed at a rapid pace, saves are expected to be lost. Bottom line, IT IS ALPHA. It doesn't stop being an alpha just because you say it isn't.

Mese

I was just venting anyway as I loved that version 14 colony , lol 
I've started a new game now in the steam version 15

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: Lockdown on August 28, 2016, 07:03:10 PM
You can disable updates on a game-by-game basis in Steam, so it doesn't happen in the future without your consent.

This has never worked.

It seems that Steam finally removed the "disable update" feature anyway, I just checked on some of my Steam games online.

EDIT :

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 28, 2016, 07:05:11 PMThe game most definitely IS in alpha, it has bugs, it is being actively developed at a rapid pace, saves are expected to be lost. Bottom line, IT IS ALPHA. It doesn't stop being an alpha just because you say it isn't.

Tynan is not to be blamed. I've rarely seen a dev that goes out of his way as he does to warn users that updates will break stuff, and sometimes even help them to minimize breakage, to resume their games asap (mods being obviously none of his responsibilities).