[1.3] Rimatomics | Rimefeller

Started by Dubwise, August 28, 2016, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Near

I never saw you before steam release. it seems like steam has brought us some good new modders as well :D

Dubwise

I have just uploaded v2.2.0 which adds an ID system, each part of the reactor has an extra button with an A-B icon which allows you to set up to 24 unique ID's. Set your Turbine Control Computer and Cooling Towers ID's to match a specific Reactor Core. You can use a single computer to control multiple reactors by switching its ID on the fly, or you can reroute turbines and cooling towers from one core to another in an emergency

Jan2607

cap75

Dubwise

Quote from: Jan2607 on September 09, 2016, 05:11:41 PM
For what do I need plutonium and how do I get it?

You cant make it yet, I need to add a system for crafting plutonium from used fuel rods, then i can add atomic cannons back in

Jan2607

So, I can construct atomic cannons, but cannot use them? Damn, I need to find a way to deal with these psycho ships :D

Dubwise

Quote from: Jan2607 on September 09, 2016, 06:52:37 PM
So, I can construct atomic cannons, but cannot use them? Damn, I need to find a way to deal with these psycho ships :D

oh dear i guess i forgot to disable them. Also using nuclear weapons will have some down sides, like blinding burning and irradiating anyone not secured in a bunker, some fallout, and reducing your standing with allies. Thats if the shell isn't a dud because you got larry the cleaner to make it

Nanao-kun

Does setting temperature lower make the fuel rods last longer? Or does it make no difference.

Jan2607

Quote from: Nanao-kun on September 10, 2016, 03:22:52 PM
Does setting temperature lower make the fuel rods last longer? Or does it make no difference.

And will they last longer, if they are not fully retracted?
And how many spent fuel rods can I store in one cask?

Dubwise

right now the temp and control rod values do not change the rate at which the fuel is consumed, but that is something i can add in a future update if you guys would like it, for now the only benefit to running lower temps would be increased safety, by having more headroom for temps to spike due to cooling failure or cracked rods you will spend less time over the 350c mark which is when your core starts to weaken.

The casks will let you store an infinite amount of rods and slag, i might cap that to something later, i just wanted to get them working for starters

Jan2607

Okay. How many days will one fuel rod last?

Will spent fuel rods emit radiation only in the room, where they are? Can I haul them through another room to the cask, or will this room getting contaminated, too?
Will a roof on top of a reactor core and walls around it prevent radioactive slag in case of a core melt?

Dubwise

a fuel rod lasts 2 years, once its spent it turns into a spent fuel rod which emits radiation in a radius and through walls, the rate of exposure increases as you get closer to a source of radiation, this can be heard as bursts of Geiger counter clicks so you just need to keep your distance. A full radiation suit + a dose of potassium iodide will provide 90% resistance to the radiation, things do not emit radiation while they are being hauled and radiation doesn't stay in an area, it is only emitted directly from a source like spent rods.

In the event of a core melt accident the roof will be blown out above the reactor core allowing the radioactive slag to smolder and release ash and dust into the air which triggers a radioactive fallout event. This event is persistent until the slag is secured inside a cask or perhaps taken away by traders, then the fallout will dissipate over time. Unlike toxic fallout roofing does not prevent exposure so rooms have to be fully enclosed to be safe.

Matnjord

Great mod Dubwise! While it does give silly amount of power (I peaked at 77kW when I loaded the reactor with all 12 rods) it's dangerous to maintain, very expensive to set up and the sheer size of the bloody thing means you have to take expansive precautions to protect it! Feels surprisingly balanced to me.

[quote/]i can add in a future update if you guys would like it[/quote]

That would be a good idea.

On the topic of nuclear cannons, some nuclear shells landed in drop pods in my last colony, sadly I messed something with my mods which forced to abandon the colony before I got to try it :(

Jan2607

Thank you :)

Yeah, this mod seems to be really well balanced. I'm playing with a lot of mods, and that's why I have a lot of very power hungry buildings. One reactor with 6 fuel rods and one geothermal plant are producing 25 kW, and it's not enough :D
The downside with nuclear power is, that you need at least one back up reactor or a lot of full batteries in case you have to work on the primary reactor (replacing the fuel rods, or shutting down the reactor to add more rods).
And you have to buy a lot, and I mean A LOT of uranium from traders :D

magik20

I'm having a bit of an issue with reactors, I built 2 separate systems, but from the errors I'm getting in the log I think I made some mistakes / confused the code.

At present, everything appears to be setup right, but my haulers refuse to place the control rods into the reactors.

edit: fixed the hauling situation, it was a "important" stack vs "normal" issue, nothing to do with this mod.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]