[A17] Feed the Colonists

Started by Gutsnipe, August 28, 2016, 08:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enetious

Updated the current Alpha 16 release version to include larger bulk meals to cook 8 at a time as well as 4 (which included pemmican and kibble as well). Instead of cooking 12.5% quicker (or 1/8 quicker), cooking 8x in bulk cooks 25% quicker (or 1/4 quicker) due to the nature of cooking bulk.

Meal   Work to Make
Simple Meal   300
Fine Meal   450
Lavish Meal   800
Pemmican   600
Kibble   300
8 Simple Meals   1800
8 Fine Meals   2700
8 Lavish Meals   4800
8 Pemmican   3600
8 Kibble   1800

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/18kv1vdpas09ph3/Feed+The+Colonists.zip

Gutsnipe, I do hope you don't mind me doing this (note that I will take down the link upon request), it is just that cooking 8x in bulk is rather beneficial for larger colonies in particular (otherwise late-game colonies with plenty of colonists). Thanks for keeping this mod updated.

UPDATED For the Alpha 17 release version
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/itujl3baooccfz3/Feed+The+Colonists.rar

Mehni

I changed FTC so it defaults to not using insect meat, like the vanilla meals. It's a simple edit, but I thought I'd share.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3gqyoj6asdaxeq/A16_Feed_The_Colonists_-_no_insect_meat.zip?dl=1

marginoferror

Quick bug report: the default settings for the normal "make fine meal" are no human meat, no insect meat. But the default settings for the "make 4 fine meals" excludes only human meat, not insect meat.

Edit: Oh, now I see the person above me was commenting about the same issue.

AngleWyrm

Bug report
I set a butcher's table to produce the 4-kibble bill, but when the colonists attempted to manufacture the order they just kept bringing ingredients to the table. I tried relocating the table in case it was gummed up somehow, and I tried using a different colonist as well. Same result.

I theorize that the ingredients in my cold storage freezer have some sort of nutritional, mass and/or stack size measurement that produces a result where the colonists cannot put enough ingredients into three stacks on the table, and so the recipe fails to get completed as they endlessly attempt to bring more to a full workbench.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Canute

The colonists can use more then 3 stacks, they just drop it around the crafting spot. I got recipes with 5 diff. componets at Hardcore SK.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 20, 2017, 03:19:39 AM
Bug report
I set a butcher's table to produce the 4-kibble bill, but when the colonists attempted to manufacture the order they just kept bringing ingredients to the table. I tried relocating the table in case it was gummed up somehow, and I tried using a different colonist as well. Same result.

I theorize that the ingredients in my cold storage freezer have some sort of nutritional, mass and/or stack size measurement that produces a result where the colonists cannot put enough ingredients into three stacks on the table, and so the recipe fails to get completed as they endlessly attempt to bring more to a full workbench.

Just how much are they hauling? Doing a job of 4 kibble would take a *LOT* of raw food goods. Going from memory here, but doesn't each kibble recipe require 40 units to produce 50 units. So a job of 4 would require 160 units to produce 200. As Canute said above, they can have more than 3 stacks, and indeed may just need that many with trying to get 160 total units around the table, especially if needing multiple types to get to that high a number.

Gutsnipe

Hey guys, please leave a comment on the steam workshop page if you need to contact me. I have no problem with anyone editing the mod. I'm really happy you guys find this useful. :)

This mod has been updated for A17, hope everyone has fun with the new version!

I just did a quick test and 4 kibble seems to use 160 units of food (in my test, 80 hay, 80 chicken meat). Kibble needs a lot of ingredients to complete, but I didn't want to edit the value from the original... just multiply food requirements by 4 and work requirements by 3.5.

I edited the simple, fine, lavish meals, and pemmican to exclude human meat, megaspider meat, and insect jelly by default.

Quote from: O Negative on December 30, 2016, 05:44:52 AM
Quote from: FoxXeL on December 30, 2016, 04:50:28 AM
So basically it is Bulk Meals mod without the 8 meals?

This is like Bulk Meals, but kinda better ;D lol

I had no idea this mod existed before I wrote that one. :)

Edit: @Gutsnipe I've included a link to your mod in my mod's thread.
Mine isn't nearly as popular as yours, but I figured it appropriate given your seniority :)

I hope your mod is doing well. :)

Quote from: Enetious on January 04, 2017, 07:50:03 PM
Updated the current Alpha 16 release version to include larger bulk meals to cook 8 at a time as well as 4 (which included pemmican and kibble as well). Instead of cooking 12.5% quicker (or 1/8 quicker), cooking 8x in bulk cooks 25% quicker (or 1/4 quicker) due to the nature of cooking bulk.

Meal   Work to Make
Simple Meal   300
Fine Meal   450
Lavish Meal   800
Pemmican   600
Kibble   300
8 Simple Meals   1800
8 Fine Meals   2700
8 Lavish Meals   4800
8 Pemmican   3600
8 Kibble   1800

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/18kv1vdpas09ph3/Feed+The+Colonists.zip

Gutsnipe, I do hope you don't mind me doing this (note that I will take down the link upon request), it is just that cooking 8x in bulk is rather beneficial for larger colonies in particular (otherwise late-game colonies with plenty of colonists). Thanks for keeping this mod updated.

I have no problem with this. I'm glad you found my mod useful enough to tweak it to suit your playstyle. :)

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on March 20, 2017, 12:58:17 PM
Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 20, 2017, 03:19:39 AM
Bug report

Just how much are they hauling? Doing a job of 4 kibble would take a *LOT* of raw food goods. Going from memory here, but doesn't each kibble recipe require 40 units to produce 50 units. So a job of 4 would require 160 units to produce 200. As Canute said above, they can have more than 3 stacks, and indeed may just need that many with trying to get 160 total units around the table, especially if needing multiple types to get to that high a number.

This is my understanding as well. The 4 kibble recipe requires a lot of ingredients (8 meals worth / 4 animal & 4 plant meal), so 160 units. As I mentioned above, I did a quick test and a colonist was cooking the 4 kibble recipe with 80 hay (1 stack) and 80 chicken meat (2 stacks, 75 & 5).
Nerd as on the Internet

Lethe

Gutsnipe, your mod attachment got deleted for being too old. :\ Just wanted to let you know.

I downloaded it through moddb though.

henk

Made an A18 version for personal use. Figured someone else might want it.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

xRude

crusader2010

Is there any chance you add more options, like cooking 8 meals at a time, then 12, then 16 (e.g. make this research-locked and on an exponential work amount requirement) ?
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack

accountssuck

Quote from: Mehni on February 17, 2017, 06:51:48 PM
I changed FTC so it defaults to not using insect meat, like the vanilla meals. It's a simple edit, but I thought I'd share.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3gqyoj6asdaxeq/A16_Feed_The_Colonists_-_no_insect_meat.zip?dl=1
I thank you sincerely for being the only person in this thread to provide a working download link and not some steam, nexus or mediafire bullshit.
As Wil Wheaton said:
https://plus.google.com/+WilWheaton/posts/Us8B7jpSL83

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: accountssuck on January 02, 2018, 10:44:06 AM
Quote from: Mehni on February 17, 2017, 06:51:48 PM

I thank you sincerely for being the only person in this thread to provide a working download link and not some steam, nexus or mediafire bullshit.
As Wil Wheaton said:
https://plus.google.com/+WilWheaton/posts/Us8B7jpSL83

First off, there is nothing wrong IMO with mediafire or nexus. At least with mediafire you don't need an account. Also, that post is almost a year old for A16, are you sure that's the version you want? :)

EDIT: When I download the version from moddb, it doesn't have a base folder to go into, so I just made one named FeedTheColonists-A18. I was curious to know if anyone could tell me if the actual name of the base folder that mods rest in is important? I would assume so, because RimWorld might need the proper directory towards it to pull resources from. Is there anywhere in any of the files from any mod that would show me what the proper name for the base folder is supposed to be, if it does matter? Thanks!

crusader2010

The base folder of any mod (i.e. the folder containing the subfolders "About", "Defs", etc) should be named after the mod, but without any version and such as a prefix or suffix. Why? because after each update to the mod, you should also update the name of the base folder, which means that each new version will have a new base folder in the "Mods" folder of Rimworld, which means we need to keep renaming and deleting stuff to update a mod to a new version (be it a new mod build or a new Rimworld version) :)
My mod pack: {A13} Mod Mega Pack

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: crusader2010 on January 03, 2018, 02:24:41 PM
The base folder of any mod (i.e. the folder containing the subfolders "About", "Defs", etc) should be named after the mod, but without any version and such as a prefix or suffix. Why? because after each update to the mod, you should also update the name of the base folder, which means that each new version will have a new base folder in the "Mods" folder of Rimworld, which means we need to keep renaming and deleting stuff to update a mod to a new version (be it a new mod build or a new Rimworld version) :)

I agree that I like when mods update, the base folder has the same name as the previous version. HOWEVER, I highly prefer if there is a version number in the rar/zip file name of the mod update I just recently downloaded, so that if I ever need to rextract the file, I don't have to figure out which is the newest by date because they all had the same archive name. Also when the mod author includes the version number in the base folder, I then will need to launch RimWorld, and turn on the updated mod and remember where it went it my load order. I suppose I could just launch RimWorld first with both the old and new versions of the mod, but I will still need to restart the game after putting the updated mod in it's correct spot. But if the base folder has the same name as the previous version, you can just delete the old folder, exract the new version of the mod to your /mods folder, your updated mod will already be in the correct spot as the last one, and you won't have to restart RimWorld again (which can take quite a long time when you have 250-300 mods!).

I suppose all of this is pointless though if the name of the base folder doesn't matter, as far as the game is actually concerned. Could anyone answer that for me still, please? ;D If that's the case, any mod that has a version number in the base folder I can just rename, and swap out the new for the old.