[1.0] Simplified Leather

Started by AileTheAlien, February 18, 2019, 08:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AileTheAlien

For anyone who, like me, got sick of the overwhelming number of useless leather types, I made this mod which simplifies the leathers in the game! Most leathers were inferior to devilstrand or the high-tier leathers, and patch-leather is basically vendor-trash.
- cuts down number of leathers from 19 to 9
- removes the patch-leather recipe
- removes sloth wool
- tortoises and insects give shell when butchered, which can be used to make plate armor

I could have put this in the "unfinished" forum, but this is 90% done, and I only work on these mods on the weekends. So, unless I decide to add these things, it's done!
- colored leathers, for fashion!
- add research requirement to shell-armor
- add down feathers for use in jackets, parkas, and tuques (Yeah, it's probably not really a "tuque" if it's stuffed with feathers, but it's close enough.)

mcduff

Looking at the git, this adds separate recipes for plate armor and helmets made out of shell. Is there a reason these materials can't just be added to the existing recipe?

Canute

Yep, add the shell's to the Metalic category, then you don't need to patch the plate armor.
Side effect, the shell's could be used for different furniture's too like chair,table or bed's.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Canute on February 19, 2019, 07:06:52 AMSide effect, the shell's could be used for different furniture's too like chair,table or bed's.
This is why I made separate recipes - I only wanted shells to be used for specific items. You can easily imagine a stranded human making a helmet out of an turtle shell, because it's already sort of helmet-shaped, and it's already armor. Being able to make a chair out of random bits of turtle or insect shell would be possible (I mean, you could make a chair out of sugar if you wanted; It would just be very weak structurally.), but would be a vastly different process.

mcduff

Can you not add a material category? "shelly" alongside woody and metallic?

AileTheAlien

I could, but doing it this way also lets me balance the crafting-times separately. (I haven't yet, but I *could*.) e.g. A turtle shell is basically already a helmet, but would be slow to turn into body-armor.

Canute

Yep i can understood your point.
But do you know these Tortoise Shell Coffee Table. I don't know how they acutaly made it, but i think they saw them into square pieces and glue them together.

mcduff

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Canute on February 19, 2019, 09:19:54 AM
But do you know these Tortoise Shell Coffee Table. I don't know how they acutaly made it, but i think they saw them into square pieces and glue them together.
Actually, the table you linked is faux turtle-shell, as are all of the ones I can find with Google image search. :)

I'm sure in the past, before there were so many humans on the planet, and before we extincted so many species, there were people making real turtle-shells into all kinds of things, so I won't rule out luxury items. If/when I do start adding them, I'll probably put them into a separate mod, so people can pick and choose what they have in their game. Probably something like 1) simplified leathers, 2) added materials (shell, down feathers, etc), 3) luxury items like turtle tables, taxidermy statues or rugs, etc.

mcduff

I was looking to maybe try and do something like this with the Dinosauria mod, to make most of those into "dinosaur leather." There are also some shell type dinosaurs that might benefit from the new treatment.

Canute

QuoteI'm sure in the past, before there were so many humans on the planet, and before we extincted so many species, there were people making turtle-shells into all kinds of things, so I won't rule out luxury items. If/when I do start adding them, I'll probably put them into a separate mod, so people can pick and choose what they have in their game. Probably something like 1) simplified leathers, 2) added materials (shell, down feathers, etc), 3) luxury items like turtle tables, taxidermy statues or rugs, etc.
If you put that into a seperated mod it is ok, like the Bones mod.
I just wanted give these shell's another useness beside to end up as plate armor.
At the early game you won't much source from insects, and tortoise arn't at every biome for hunting.