[1.0] Faction Discovery (updated 28.10.2018)

Started by Orion, August 29, 2016, 09:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Description
Added a new faction mod and have to start a new game? Not anymore!

Faction Discovery will make sure you have the recommended amount of (hidden) bases for your new faction on the world map when you load your game the next time.

Installation
This mod can be added to an existing savegame. It does require HugsLib.

Changelog

1.03 - 28.10.2018
- Now uses HugsLib
- Added mod settings

1.0 - 19.10.2018
- Updated to 1.0

0.19a - 29.09.2018
- Updated to B19

0.18a - 21.11.2017
- Updated to B18

0.17a - 27.05.2017
- Updated to A17

0.16a3 - 07.01.2017
- Updated to A16
- Removed all non-essential features, now only does what it says on the label
- Fixed freezes when spawning new faction members

0.15b - 30.09.2016
- New: when starting a new game, you will know the location of one other faction.
- New: you can customize in the scenario editor, how many factions you know at the beginning.
- New: incident - discover a faction. This will show the faction on the world map and allow contact / visitors / raids.
- Fix: resolved warning about language files
- New: when creating factions, existing factions are now taken into account for a better balance
- New: bigger faction blobs on world map
- Fix: better chance calculation
- Tweak: higher chance to find a faction
- New: message at start of new game
- Tweak: default is now 1 hostile and 1 friendly faction
- Fix: adjusted about text

0.15a - 29.08.2016
- Initial version

Author
Orion

Download
Dropbox
Steam Workshop

How to install
- Delete old folder of this mod (Faction Discovery).
- Unzip the contents into your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game and restart the game.

Exende

You naming your mod as such gives me thidea of actually sending out pawns to discover new factions in the world (a la misc. Mod), and either returning with gifts given by faction leaders or returning with a mood boost for 'exploration'

Orion

I am sorta planning something like that long-term. Until then it's just the name...

Darque

Quote from: Exende on August 29, 2016, 10:15:00 AM
You naming your mod as such gives me thidea of actually sending out pawns to discover new factions in the world (a la misc. Mod), and either returning with gifts given by faction leaders or returning with a mood boost for 'exploration'
You can even expand on that idea and have your pawns sent out to raid, returning with loot/slaves and a chance to be injured/killed. This would give rise to players running a pirate colony.

Brovahkii

Quote from: Darque on August 29, 2016, 12:32:22 PM
You can even expand on that idea and have your pawns sent out to raid, returning with loot/slaves and a chance to be injured/killed. This would give rise to players running a pirate colony.

Actually, with the MISC mods, you can essentially send your people out for a few days (usually 3) at a time to scavenge ruins and return with decent gear. Petitioning that author for raiding is your best bet since he already has a grasp on the idea.

Now, what I think would be a good idea for THIS mod is for a faction to come and and settle down on your current map, albeit friendly or otherwise so there's allies or a growing risk to adventuring out of your base.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Orion

Or I can just keep it simple and don't do feature creep.

Screech

Is there a maximum of factions in a game? Does this mod allow for an infinite amount of factions on a map?

Orion

There's no maximum I would know of. If you change the faction requirement numbers, you can indeed have a whole lot of factions. Beats me why you'd want that, though :P

John_Bigless

YES! The ability to visit factions, give us at least a simple one, pls!!!

John_Bigless

Aww shit, the stupid hippies corrupted my test save file.
It certainly was not a good idea to use a A15 mod on A14

Any way to fix this problem?
Also, can you give me a link to the A14 Faction Discovery mod?

Fluffe

Quote from: John_Bigless on August 31, 2016, 11:03:08 AM

I think this mod was just made so there is no alpha 14 version im pretty sure lol

John_Bigless

Quote from: Fluffe on August 31, 2016, 11:05:31 AM
Quote from: John_Bigless on August 31, 2016, 11:03:08 AM

I think this mod was just made so there is no alpha 14 version im pretty sure lol
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME.

Orion

There is no A14 version. Although someone claimed it worked fine for him in A14. I have a hunch that was not you.

To fix your file, I'd edit the file, and find-replace the faction references of all hippie pawns to a faction you had before. Then kick out the hippie faction. Keep loading it, with the mod disabled, check what RimWorld complains about in the developer console, and fix that next.

Oh, and visiting factions is not gonna happen. Try the MISC mods. They have something where you can send colonists on missions.

FoxXeL

This actually sounds like Tropico 2 Pirate Cove, haha.

Orion

Quote from: FoxXeL on September 01, 2016, 12:22:46 PM

This actually sounds like Tropico 2 Pirate Cove, haha.
It was an awesome game and I loved the mechanic of sending away your guys. Nothing wrong with that. It's just completely out of scope for this mod.