How do I build a refrigerator properly ?

Started by Fleischtester, August 29, 2016, 01:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleischtester

Do I need to build a wall under the radiator?
Or I can just put the cooler in a hole in the wall without drawbacks.
One sees, the gaps in the wall, if you do not build the radiator on a wall.

Wie baue ich einen Kühlschrank richtig ?

Muss ich eine Wand unter dem Kühler bauen?
Oder kann ich den Kühler einfach in ein  Loch in der Wand setzten ohne Nachteile.
Man sieht ja, die Lücken in der Wand, wenn man den Kühler nicht auf einen Wand baut.

Grüße

OFWG

The gap should be OK. I usually carve my fridge out of a mountain, where you always have to cut a hole in the stone.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Franklin

I assume by radiator you mean A/C unit, but all you need to do is build the A/C unit into the wall like it was a special wall tile. The only consideration you need to make is the exhaust side needs to not be enclosed:

The example on the left wont work, as the exhaust is enclosed and there's nowhere for the excess heat to go but back into the A/C unit (like it would in the real world).

The example on the right is a proper build, as the exhaust can properly disperse.

If you're not building into a cave, just imagine the above images with constructed walls. And obviously the air-conditioned room needs to be roofed.

Garthybooks22

yeah.. and when you get a Raid, you better block that cooler off big time! haha..

Serenity

At least in A14 you can get away with venting into a reasonably large tunnel system (unless you play in a hot biome). Especially if it's connected to the outside with a door. I thought I might be able to heat my hallways that way, but I didn't even notice anything.

I also always build an airlock. And double walls for better insulation, but that's not strictly necessary.

Franklin

Yeah, everyone says to build an airlock into fridges, but I've watched the temps of my fridges with non-airlock access and the change is minimal. It'll dance within 1 degree of the target temp.

I imagine you need to see a shitload of traffic to require airlocks.

Franklin

Although the second my heaters break down a room will go from 21C to -20C in a flat second. I wish there was a slower temp bleed in non-conditioned rooms.

TuttiFrutti159

It is also recomendable to build two A/C units for one refridgerating room, in case one of them breaks.

Spudra

Quote from: TuttiFrutti159 on August 30, 2016, 03:42:18 PM
It is also recomendable to build two A/C units for one refridgerating room, in case one of them breaks.
Or in case of a heatwave

Aatxe360

Kagemusha12

Quote from: Franklin on August 29, 2016, 01:36:33 PM
Yeah, everyone says to build an airlock into fridges, but I've watched the temps of my fridges with non-airlock access and the change is minimal. It'll dance within 1 degree of the target temp.

I imagine you need to see a shitload of traffic to require airlocks.

My fridges always have a shitload of traffic ... both, by people wanting to get out food from the fridge, as well as cooks taking out ingredients or putting completed meals in

keylocke

i think someone suggested before about the cooler trick to a 1 tile venting room acting like a thermos, to save up on coolers to refrigerate large rooms. haven't really tried it yet though.