15.276 None violent colonist has weapon

Started by Scotty, August 29, 2016, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Hello!
I noticed today on on my colonists who cannot do anything violent has a shiv.
As far as i know they had it from the start, so this might be bug? :)

NolanSyKinsley

They don't start with weapons, they start with them on the ground and you tell them to pick them up. You can tell a non violent person to pick up a weapon, they just won't use it.

makkenhoff

I'll admit, I've never considered it a bug for a non-violent colonist to carry a weapon. I mean, on one hand, you've got plenty of uses for a knife that don't involve jamming it into a hostile party. On the other, what are they going to do with a charge rifle when they refuse to hurt people? That said, it does seem odd that they will carry weapons, but never use them unless they go berserk. It might be as simple as an oversight, or perhaps it would be too restrictive to not allow them to be carried.

I can definitely verify that this behavior does occur, in every build I can think of, up to and including A15.1279 as they do sometimes arrive as wanderers, armed.

Scotty

Quote from: NolanSyKinsley on August 29, 2016, 07:01:41 PM
They don't start with weapons, they start with them on the ground and you tell them to pick them up. You can tell a non violent person to pick up a weapon, they just won't use it.
Mine started with it. She wondered in from the map, my 4th colonist :)

asanbr

Why should it be a bug? Non-violent people IRL can also carry weapons.

I would rather consider it a bug that non-violent people can go berserk and start killing others.

makkenhoff

Quote from: asanbr on August 30, 2016, 06:12:42 PM

I would rather consider it a bug that non-violent people can go berserk and start killing others.

That's just it.. when someone snaps like that, even a non-violent person can become violent - but I'd rather not call this a bug, but an oversight, if it is even that.

(The difference between an oversight and bug, is a bug is unexpected behavior, oversight is expected behavior but not intended.)

SpaceDorf

Quote from: makkenhoff on August 30, 2016, 07:54:24 PM
Quote from: asanbr on August 30, 2016, 06:12:42 PM

That's just it.. when someone snaps like that, even a non-violent person can become violent - but I'd rather not call this a bug, but an oversight, if it is even that.

(The difference between an oversight and bug, is a bug is unexpected behavior, oversight is expected behavior but not intended.)

Yeah, consider it as a Gift the newcomer brought you.
Also I would not want to miss out on the opportunity for my NonComs to haul away two weapons instead of one, or take the weapon of the rescued owner with them ..

One of the rare opportunities to use " it's not a bug, it's a feature " and meaning it :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

ItchyFlea

Bug confirmed. I have listed it on Mantis here: https://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=2629 Thank-you for reporting this.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created