Map generation moding

Started by Azuraal, August 30, 2016, 06:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azuraal

Can I mod map generation? And i yes where do i do it?
I can't seem to find anything related in Rimworld/mods/core/defs.
I want most colony locations to have only 1 type of stone and for flat to be actually flat

Master Bucketsmith

Berownie

Greetings Users,

Due to current interest from my side i've seen this thread and thought it's better to write here instead of creating a new one.

The file RimWorld/Mods/Core/Defs/MapGeneration/MapGenerators.xml seems to only order the steps that are taken when generating a map and the amount and spread of scatterable objects like geysers.

Let me say inbetween that I've got no experience with modding and only the knowledge about coding of a student.

From my understanding, when my goal is to change the generation of water bodies the following part is of my interest:
<GenStepDef>
<defName>Terrain</defName>
<mapGenerator>MainMapGenerator</mapGenerator>
<order>210</order>
<genStep Class="GenStep_Terrain"/>
</GenStepDef>

The whole file is defined as the MainMapGenerator so I need to change the code from the class GenStep_Terrain, right? With my current knowledge I am unable to find anything about GenStep_Terrain. There is no reference of it in the file RimWorld/Mods/Core/Defs/TerrainDefs/Terrain_Water.xml .

Quote from: Master Bucketsmith on August 31, 2016, 04:56:23 AM
Check out Misc. Map Generator.

I'm terrible sorry if I should know what folder or file you mean but the only Misc folder I can find is RimWorld/Source/RimWorld/Thing/Misc with Apparel.cs and SteamGeyser.cs . Both of those do not contain any information about the Map Generator.

Once again, I'm terrible sorry if the things I ask are considered common knowledge. My goal is just to remove the random generation of water bodies each time I use the same world seed and location.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: Berownie on August 31, 2016, 03:21:48 PM
I'm terrible sorry if I should know what folder or file you mean but the only Misc folder I can find is RimWorld/Source/RimWorld/Thing/Misc with Apparel.cs and SteamGeyser.cs . Both of those do not contain any information about the Map Generator.
Aw shit, I'm sorry. Looks like I totally forgot to add the link. It's a mod that alters map generation, I thought it could be useful for inspiration.

"Blueprint MapGenerator - This will create some more detailed ruins on map creation."