[A15] Realistic Medical System (31.08.2016)

Started by Ykara, August 30, 2016, 08:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ykara

Hi fellow colonists!
This mod basically adds some depth to Rimworld's medical system, by adding a graft rejection system and a bionic accustoming system. You now for example can't just put a liver in one of your colonists and expect it to immediately work as if nothing ever happened. Natural organs now have rejection reactions you have to treat, same for surrogate and synthetic organs. And installing a peg leg now isn't such a simple and quick task anymore either. Your colonists now have to learn to use their new prosthesis and get initial maluses, for example with a peg leg you colonists have to learn to walk again.
These maluses however are only temporary, accustoming to a new body part takes about 10 days. With one exception: Natural organs. Like in real life they require constant treatment, which also acts as a kind of nerf to these parts, as I have always perceived them as slightly too overpowered, but that's just my opinion.
Hope you like it!

Download:
Mediafire: Click Here!
Steam Workshop: Click Here!

Download the EPOE compatible version:
Mediafire: Click Here!
Steam Workshop: Click Here!

Current main features:

• Bionics now take time to reach their full capacity, you now can't just install them and your colonists are immediately able to use them without any problems
  • Organ transplants are now rejected by the colonists body, meaning that you now have to treat them
  • [EPOE] Synthetic and surrogate organs only cause a rejection when you first install them, making them more cost efficient than natural organs in the long run

disasteroid

Liked the new system (except when starting out with Prepare Carefully), glad I can still add it in! thanks!

kaptain_kavern

Awesome! Thx Ykara

I'm looking forward to look how it's coded (I haven't had the time to check the new EPOE either ...)

Now I may have some work for compatibilities with DESurgeries and A Dog Said :p

Goldenpotatoes

With the new drug system, why not pull a Dues Ex with bionics and require a type of medication while colonists are getting used to their new equipment to prevent issues with rejection?

They (probably) never asked for this.

Dingo

I'd give colonists a silent takedown while you're at it. :P

Exende

I suppose there could be a resistant trait pawns can get that can do away with these penalties *shrug*

deliveryservice

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on August 30, 2016, 09:21:57 PM
With the new drug system, why not pull a Dues Ex with bionics and require a type of medication while colonists are getting used to their new equipment to prevent issues with rejection?

They (probably) never asked for this.

Yes like Neuropozyne. I beleive it could simply override the rejection effect.

axeladalidez

Just noticed that one of my colonists with a peg leg (accustomizing) always "falls" when going trough doors , he can't leave his room and after a few tries he is incapacitated.

Serenity

How about there being more consequences to injuries? I'm fine with being able to heal even devastating injuries completely, but I think it's ridiculous how it often takes less than a day. Even for serious stuff. Pawns should spend a significant number of days in the hospital for serious injuries (completely realistically it would take weeks, but that wouldn't play well). Medium injuries could require a few days in the hospital. Penalties from smaller injuries could also last longer. This would also make the differences between different treatment qualities more noticeable.

iceteazz

_ Oh dear, my whole colony got severe pain ( 60% ) after installed this mod lol

Proximity_Microwave

Is it intentional for the Pain Stopper implant to be treated like a transplanted organ?

mrofa

Looks like better masochist hard mode
Will need try it on my next run :D
All i do is clutter all around.

Ykara

Quote from: Serenity on September 09, 2016, 12:07:15 AM
How about there being more consequences to injuries? I'm fine with being able to heal even devastating injuries completely, but I think it's ridiculous how it often takes less than a day. Even for serious stuff. Pawns should spend a significant number of days in the hospital for serious injuries (completely realistically it would take weeks, but that wouldn't play well). Medium injuries could require a few days in the hospital. Penalties from smaller injuries could also last longer. This would also make the differences between different treatment qualities more noticeable.
That was a bug, I forgot to reset the values of the non EPOE version after making some screenshots for the preview image. That is already fixed in the Steam version, but it seems like I've forgotten about mediafire. Just redownload it, I have fixed it, and thanks for reporting!

Serenity

I didn't mean that as a bug report. But as a comment on vanilla and maybe something you might consider for this mod, given the name.

As said, complete realism shouldn't be a goal with the recovery length. It also needs to play well and be balanced. But heal times could be a bit longer. I made some more comments here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25897.0

But if you rather want to focus on organ rejection and the like I understand. It's your mod.

Facepunch

Expanding on the above, with increased healing time, perhaps a pawn that is up and about with healing injuries has a chance to re-injure themselves (Sutures can tear open, for example), which increases the chance of scarring, infection, etc.