[A15b] Crafting Neutroamine 1.1; Crafting Neutroamine Simply 1.1

Started by Dave-In-Texas, August 31, 2016, 12:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave-In-Texas

Crafting Neutroamine 1.1
I was Inspired by both an A15 Unstable mod by Bendigeidfran [craftable Neutroamine] and a desire to craft this important chemical.  It provides a production chain that improves through research in 5 stages and I've got more uses in mind for the new resource.

Downloads:
  The file newest version of both mods is attached to this post and can also be downloaded from dropbox below.

Warning! Do not install Crafting Neutroamine Simply with the full version!

In this mod the crafting process takes two things in varying amounts: Herbal Medicine and Plant Essence.

Plant Essence is created by performing a distillation bill on the lab, with better formulas available through the same research as neutroamine.  When you first research drug production the lab will start with one recipe which, while highly inefficient, lets you essentially preserve 'raw plant ingredients' in a non-decaying form for later use.

'Raw plant ingredients' are all the vanilla food crops,  psychoid leaves and hops.  That initial recipe uses 2x as much raw food as a simple meal, almost three times as much as one flake and more than one yayo.

So now you have to decide which uses are more important for those materials: Your people eat (or get stoned) or they can have Neutroamine.

On an easy start the various ingredients are usually plentiful but it can get complex when you're on higher difficulties.

As you research Neutroamine Production I through V the process gets more efficient until at the end it is amazingly efficient.

The skill required is Crafting and the minimum scales up as well, from 6 to eventually 12.

Crafting Neutroamine Simply 1.1

This is a stripped down version and only uses Herbal Medicine with three tiers of research.  Simpler but not necessarily easier.

Are they save game friendly?   Sorta. .  Yes!  thanks to some timely advice from Deimos Rast I am no longer overriding the lab!!!

I am open to feedback and suggestions and have more planned.

Changelog for 'Crafting Neutroamine':
   1.1 - Removed the override on the Druglab (credit to Deimos Rast) and fixed some typos in the recipes.  made the labels within the bills tab more meaningful.
   1.0 - Initial Release.

Changelog for 'Crafting Neutroamine Simply':
   1.1 - Initial Release.

Todo:

- Add some pictures to this post.

- A Stacking texture.  If anyone has the skill and tools to make a little deep blue bottle texture that stacks like the core drugs do, I'd be grateful as I currently have no idea how it is being done.

- Make plant essence a drug, with moderate effects and low risk of addiction.  After spending all day on this the drug defs seemed unbearably complex.  Another day :)

- Possibly make the plant essence creation function like skinning, so it makes essence of berries, etc.

Testing:
I tested against a range of mods that I'm using and not only did it produce neutroamine, the normal recipes for the bench worked flawlessly, with no errors but I still didn't get a chance to test all of the other mods at the same time, but hey no errors were thrown :)

license: No commercial profit from any of my mods. I'd like to be contacted before my mods are added to a modpack as that often generates messages/postings to the original author and I reserve the right to decline.

Feel free to take what i've done and modify it, if you repost it just credit me :)

here is my modslist in play as of tonight :)

MadSkills-A15-1.1.7-T
    LessIncidentTrolling
    ExpandedProsthetics&OrganEngineering
    Fireplace Mod V1.3 A14
    Infused
    LT_DoorMat
    LT_Gardening
    Mending
    Modular Tables
    More Vanilla Turrets
    Quorn
    RT_QuantumStorage-A15-1.0.5
    RT_SolarFlareShield-A15-1.0.5
    RT_Fuse-A15-1.0.2
    RT_PowerSwitch-A15-1.0.2
    Stonecutting Tweak
    TargetPractise
    QualityBuilder
    Animal Feed Trough V1.0
    Craftable Neutroamine
    Medical Training
    Wall Torch Mod V1 A14
    ADogSaid-A15-lite
    CraftingHysteresis
    PetFollow
    NaturalSurgery
    Recycle
    RTFTJ
    TilledSoil
    Crafting Neutroamine 1.1
    Miniaturisation

edit  8/31/16 1030ct: clarity on what plant essence is made from and save game friendliness.
edit: 8/31/16 2130ct: added the 'license bits'.
edit  9/01/16 0113ct: cleaned up the page, added link to the new version and removed irrelevant text.
edit 9/01/16 16331ct: released a standalone version with a simpler process for those seeking that. Also
         improved the post formatting.
edit 9/01/16 2024ct: corrected a few typos, including the post subject. lol

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Deimos Rast

A few things:
- Where does plant essence come from?
- Overwriting the druglab I think will cause you headaches longterm. Can't you add recipeUsers to the recipeDef (or does that only work with thingDefs?)
- OT: what mod is Natural Surgery?
#StopPluginAbuse

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Deimos Rast on August 31, 2016, 05:26:26 AM
A few things:
- Where does plant essence come from?
- Overwriting the druglab I think will cause you headaches longterm. Can't you add recipeUsers to the recipeDef (or does that only work with thingDefs?)
- OT: what mod is Natural Surgery?

I will do what I have to, to ensure it does as little interfering as I reasonably can :)

No, the game did not like me inserting a receipeusers into the recipe, red-text-everywhere.  Unless of course I was simply not doing it right for the recipe system, if someone knows more i'm all ears.

writing this to you has reminded me that I need to edit my post again about save-game friendliness.

Natural Surgery was a mod I had found on the forum by Jem, targeting 0.14.1234 that added 'more natural body part surgeries' and medicine crafting.  I excised most of it and just kept medicine crafting (both Regular and Glitterworld).  Since we didn't have a druglab in A14 it was using the component bench.  I plan to write it a different way and have it live in the druglab although not as part of this mod and to craft the glitterworld meds since vanilla gives us regular medicine crafting (coincidentally they went with the same formula I was using, lol).

Deimos Rast

Good news boss: I got the recipeUsers to work with the recipeDefs and sent you the finished product + "that thing we talked about."
#StopPluginAbuse

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Deimos Rast on August 31, 2016, 01:46:01 PM
Good news boss: I got the recipeUsers to work with the recipeDefs and sent you the finished product + "that thing we talked about."

cool beans :)

dismar

Sounds pretty complex. I just made a flower. Then a crafting recipe at the Drug lab. Works out pretty well.

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: dismar on August 31, 2016, 11:28:05 PM
Sounds pretty complex. I just made a flower. Then a crafting recipe at the Drug lab. Works out pretty well.

Thanks for the feedback!  Compared to new assets and all the other stuff your mod does I wouldn't say my mod is more complex.. but yes the process of making neutroamine in your mod is a lot simpler.

We both give the player choices,  In your mod i its a matter of allocating growing areas and growers for it this special single use (I assume) new resource.  In my case I decided  to make it a choice of eat (or get stoned) and make neutroamine.  its a matter of choices.

I considered adding a plant, its damn easy, right?  We already have a lot of single use resources floating around in the mod-sphere though and I find the interface  tends to get cluttered  annoying.  So i went the route of using existing resources.. and the plant essence will not have only this one use *grin* if I can help it.  This is my first mod in a long time and i have a lot of catching up to do, and i'm enjoying learning.

Dave-In-Texas

Just released a standalone version with a simpler process for those seeking that. Also 'improved' the post formatting.

I did some thinking and feel that some (maybe a lot of) folks might want to avoid the whole production chain 'for just one item' and I spent a bit of time testing this.  More time was spent mucking around with the post formatting :(.

Dingo

I've been thinking of trying this mod but the whole "plant essence" thing is really bizarre in my opinion. I do think it should be a process including multiple ingredients but making essence out of food crops seems illogical.

I think Neutroamine can be equated to morphine in some ways. Maybe there should be a new crop equivalent of poppies, that you can distill in a drug lab into its "essence" and make Neutroamine out of that. That would be a more logical chain of production IMO: you grow this specific plant, distill it, mix in one or two more ingredients and get Neutroamine. This mod is very close to that, maybe you could consider it?

dismar

Quote from: Dave-In-Texas on September 01, 2016, 12:47:41 AM
Quote from: dismar on August 31, 2016, 11:28:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback!  Compared to new assets and all the other stuff your mod does I wouldn't say my mod is more complex.. but yes the process of making neutroamine in your mod is a lot simpler.

We both give the player choices,  In your mod i its a matter of allocating growing areas and growers for it this special single use (I assume) new resource.  In my case I decided  to make it a choice of eat (or get stoned) and make neutroamine.  its a matter of choices.

I considered adding a plant, its damn easy, right?  We already have a lot of single use resources floating around in the mod-sphere though and I find the interface  tends to get cluttered  annoying.  So i went the route of using existing resources.. and the plant essence will not have only this one use *grin* if I can help it.  This is my first mod in a long time and i have a lot of catching up to do, and i'm enjoying learning.

Dave! I mean no offense to ya :) And i'm not trying to compare our mods by any means!! I like the fatties. I was just saying that sometimes adding a new resource can keep it simple :) I'm glad ya thought about it a bit. An i hope to see the "other" things you have planned!

Deimos Rast

I think the issue is you take a potentially simple A - > B journey (from a state of "no Neutro" to "have Neutro") and add in a bunch of intermediate steps in between that only create distance between the two states. If the "Plant Essence" was used for other processes, it might not be as bad, and might seem more justifiable. *shrug*

A possible half way point? Make the recipe cooking herbal medicine with psychoid leaves. Both can be grown relatively easily (iirc), it's "essentially plant based", it's drug/medicinal themed, and it's only one step. Hits all the bases, it seems. :D

Also: is the title of the thread misspelled by the way? Crafrubf Neutroamine Simply?
#StopPluginAbuse

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 01, 2016, 08:46:51 PM
I think the issue is you take a potentially simple A - > B journey (from a state of "no Neutro" to "have Neutro") and add in a bunch of intermediate steps in between that only create distance between the two states. If the "Plant Essence" was used for other processes, it might not be as bad, and might seem more justifiable. *shrug*

A possible half way point? Make the recipe cooking herbal medicine with psychoid leaves. Both can be grown relatively easily (iirc), it's "essentially plant based", it's drug/medicinal themed, and it's only one step. Hits all the bases, it seems. :D

Also: is the title of the thread misspelled by the way? Crafrubf Neutroamine Simply?

Yeah, it was definitely wrong.. lol.  unless the author was Mr Mxlplxt from the flintstone verse.

I originally had it all in one step but I have these plans, you see.  I also realized that in the interim it really does seem like a part of the general item creep and produced the simpler scheme for now and for those who won't necessarily want the whole pie.

I think I like the modular approach, with a full pack to show where my thoughts are.  I love programming and currently only have a mediocre laptop and wordpad :-p  so its slow going.

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: dismar on September 01, 2016, 08:04:12 PM
Dave! I mean no offense to ya :) And i'm not trying to compare our mods by any means!! I like the fatties. I was just saying that sometimes adding a new resource can keep it simple :) I'm glad ya thought about it a bit. An i hope to see the "other" things you have planned!

You have given no offense, its been awhile and you've offered helpful advice before, long ago. At least I think so, so I'll run with that :)  I replied thinking more along the lines as to who else is reading and wanting to give them a fair comparison of how we do it and what the basic difference was. 

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Dingo on September 01, 2016, 06:27:53 PM
I've been thinking of trying this mod but the whole "plant essence" thing is really bizarre in my opinion. I do think it should be a process including multiple ingredients but making essence out of food crops seems illogical.

I think Neutroamine can be equated to morphine in some ways. Maybe there should be a new crop equivalent of poppies, that you can distill in a drug lab into its "essence" and make Neutroamine out of that. That would be a more logical chain of production IMO: you grow this specific plant, distill it, mix in one or two more ingredients and get Neutroamine. This mod is very close to that, maybe you could consider it?

I just now realized you'd posted when i checked email, lol.   

ultimately I envision having the distillation variations like cutting stone chunks and then have uses for them each.  I thought about it tonight after dinner and i'm wondering if I instead went with  herbal medicine + beer + psychoid leaves would be a more logical progression.  except beer takes an unholy long time now :)

I also thought about having a fermentation barrel that ferments herbal medicine (or a new wort that is hops and medicine) but I can't find enough info to begin to get a handle on that.  yet.. :_p

Dingo

Why beer, though? When I made my suggestion I was thinking about making it more equivalent to reality, hence the morphine analogy.