Remove all red alerts if people are sleeping

Started by mzbear, August 31, 2016, 05:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Negative

Removing red-alerts would turn RimWorld into more of a paranoia-sim than a survival-sim. Sure, there's probably a few people out there who would LOVE this. But, I don't think it would be enough people to warrant making this big of a change to the warning system. If anything, hopefully the developers open up new paths for the modding community, so that things like this are easier (possible) to do for the few individuals who actually want this.

As far as being hunted by carnivores goes, I just want my colonists to react to the predator in the same way they would react to any other danger. If I have them set to run, they better run like the wind! If I have them set to fight, they best start shooting at that predator! And, if I'm silly enough to have them just not react, then that's my fault :D

keylocke

turning off alert notifications can easily be just a toggleable option. it probably won't even take an hour of tynan's dev time.

it's like people are giving out weird reasons so that other people CAN'T enjoy in vanilla game the things that they don't like..

it's like they're saying : "i don't like X feature, therefore you can't have it in vanilla.. ever, even though it can easily just be a toggleable option that i probably won't even notice until someone points it out to me and then i get emotionally triggered that people are enjoying stuffs that i don't want them to enjoy in my vanilla..."

it's the same type of argument i see in the open base vs mountain base threads.. they're like : "ohnoes, the mountain base dudes are having a blast! we must make them suffer so that it justifies my open base decisions.."

gist is : open or mountain bases ARE viable. it's a choice. rather than saying : "oh we must force those mountain base dudes out in the open"

O Negative

Quote from: keylocke on September 02, 2016, 02:36:49 AM
turning off alert notifications can easily be just a toggleable option. it probably won't even take an hour of tynan's dev time.

it's like people are giving out weird reasons so that other people CAN'T enjoy in vanilla game the things that they don't like..

it's like they're saying : "i don't like X feature, therefore you can't have it in vanilla.. ever, even though it can easily just be a toggleable option that i probably won't even notice until someone points it out to me and then i get emotionally triggered that people are enjoying stuffs that i don't want them to enjoy in my vanilla..."

it's the same type of argument i see in the open base vs mountain base threads.. they're like : "ohnoes, the mountain base dudes are having a blast! we must make them suffer so that it justifies my open base decisions.."

gist is : open or mountain bases ARE viable. it's a choice. rather than saying : "oh we must force those mountain base dudes out in the open"

I'm all for having a toggle-option type deal, also. They've already created a scenario editor, perhaps a "custom difficulty" editor could be a future feature. Project Zomboid has something like this, and I LOVE it. I can make certain aspects more challenging, while having others remain relatively casual. For instance, I might want food and materials to be much more sparse, but I don't want zombies to be annoyingly aware of their surroundings. I can has that! :D

Off topic: It's always been my humble opinion that mountain bases should remain an easier style of gameplay [when compared to open-base gameplay] while maintaining a unique set of challenges. Right now, sappers and infestations are the big ones for mountain bases, while most raids are ineffective against them. For open "town" bases, sappers and infestations are hardly an issue, while raids are incredibly annoying to deal with (at least in my experience).

Pillow Fort

well.. no warnings is one thing...
but it would be cool if colonists who are set to flee would actually.. u know... flee... instead of trying to take a selfie with the hungry bear first.

"ooh he must like me since he's walking straight to me! who's a good little ticket to the front page of imgur? thats right come to momm- AHHH MY SPLEEN!!"

nccvoyager

Maybe even have a "perception" chance of fleeing from a hungry predator would be good, to keep the danger there while helping alleviate this major issue?
A pawn with good hearing and sight has a very good chance of realizing that there is a hungry animal on it's way to devour them, while a pawn that is deaf, blind, brain damaged, or all of those things, has a decreased (or greatly decreased) chance of noticing a hungry predator?
I have no idea how hard that would be to code, though I assume it would be somewhat difficult at a minimum.

Britnoth

Quote from: keylocke on September 01, 2016, 01:11:23 AM
honestly, i haven't been playing rimworld for a while now. (though i've been playing this game for years now) i like the new smarter AI of the newer alphas and i'm glad to see some of our suggestions getting through to make battles more challenging without needing to increase raider count.

Quotesmarter AI of the newer alphas

Quotesmarter AI

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:-[

keylocke

lel.. you should've seen the older rimworld AI where their main strategy is to just zerg-swarm you.  ::)

there were no sieges, no sappers, they don't kidnap people or steal stuff, etc.. raiders back then were just zergs. so yea. "smarter" is a relative statement that should be taken in the right context. duh.  :P