Line of Sight

Started by BeastNips, August 31, 2016, 06:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeastNips

Would it be possible to add in line of sight for colonists?

• Colonists' direction wouldn't matter, line of sight would be 360 degrees to keep things simple
  • Solid map features would remain visible at all times regardless of line of sight.
  • Loot (of all kinds) would remain visible after being discovered by a colonist but may be eaten/degraded/rotting while out of sight meaning it's gone when you next 'see' it.
  • Living entities would be visible at extreme ranges under the condition that line of sight is clear, but information would only be displayed as Large Creature, Medium Creature, Small Creature
  • At long ranges entity species would become clear.
  • Medium ranges would allow you to inspect their health/gear etc
  • Raider/trader style alerts would still happen, only you may not know which direction they're coming from

Tech tree to assist this:

• A looking glass allowing an extra step in distance (Knowing species at extreme ranges, knowing gear/health condition at long ranges)
  • Lookout tower would give all entity information at extra ranges if it is manned by a colonist and line of sight is available.
  • Radar station would give all information in real time without being manned but within a certain radius around where the station is positioned, as well as being slightly more advanced tech and fairly costly to build/power
  • GPS Uplink would give all information for the whole map unmanned and in real time, but would be advanced technology and costly to build/keep powered

What do you think?

akiceabear

Anything closer to fog of war would be welcomed by me. Posted many suggestions on this in the past, but it seems very unlikely for vanilla.

BeastNips

Yes I was one of those dicks that posts before reading the frequent suggestions. My bad. *hangs head in shame*