New brewery system? What?

Started by kuledude, August 31, 2016, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuledude

Either completely bugged or complete bullshit, holy fuck i just lost 5 batches of beer just because the temperature went over like +1/-1 C and i didn't get any warnings, atleast give it a timer or something, since this system now is ridiculous.

MeowRailroad

I think it's fair, that's how it would be in real life, or at least close to it. I like the new system, it feels so much more rewarding to have gone through all the trouble to make beer.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

PotatoeTater

It's a pretty big variation of temperature you are allowed to keep the beer fermenting in. If you are having problems with that, it sounds like you need to work on building a better room first.
Life is Strange

deang88

I wish beer was more rewarding buff wise for the effort put into growing hops, making and fermenting wort

carbon

Have the economics (e.g. sale price) of beer been improved at all to compensate for the extra time/effort involved?

Shurp

So since it looks like we have to manage temperature to ferment beer, am I wrong to put my fermenting barrels in bedrooms where it's nice and toasty warm?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Serenity

Depends on how ugly the barrels are. I haven't checked

I think what some people are asking is for the temperature to stay above the limit for a little time rather than the beer instantly going bad.

MikeLemmer

It might be a stealth buff to brewing, but I've noticed in my latest colony it simply brews slowly rather than instantly spoiling if it goes out of range. Haven't risked testing how far out of temp range it can now go without spoiling, though.

night777

I've lost plenty of batches of beer. On cold maps you have to be very careful about it if you get hit by a solar flare, immediately build two campfires in the room (assuming its normal 8x8 or so room).

Same thing with power problems. It can be challenging on Tundra and very hard on icesheet. I'm on a tundra map and have often been out of wood. Anyway, it requires you respond quickly. The temperature doesn't immediately change, but you only have a couple of ingame hours to respond, and the fermenting wort does spoil quickly once its out of the range.

I haven't used the passive cooler yet, but if it works as well as a campfire, you'd need to be able to quickly activate that on a hotter map.

Serenity

On an icesheet I placed my barrels on the edges of the hydroponics room. Which was heated already. Works very well.

Shurp

Oh, good thinking.  In the event of a solar flare I run to build campfires in my greenhouses anyway.  So it'd be double-duty.

But since my bedrooms are right next to the brewery I'll use them for now, no need to mix things up yet.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

chinothepony

I've lost many a brew in a room where I felt I have regulated the temperature greatly (It has 2 AC units and 1 heater). The brew however is in my rec room/dining hall because I wanted to but a bar there :)

SO I think next time I might just put barrels in a room of their own and keep it nice and tight with AC/heating.

Serenity

Apparently beer barrels don't have any beauty associated with them. So they are fine in bedrooms.

kuledude

Getting beer currently is overpunishing us for no fucking reason(not to mention that beer was debuffed(was 10 for warm now its 8 )), i mean the least they could do is give us a warning and more time to react to the Instant spoilage of wort.

The only way you can do this without micro is if you have researched electricity(heaters and ac's) but without it, it just becomes pain in the ass for tribals(no electricity).

sadpickle

Quote from: kuledude on September 12, 2016, 02:00:09 PM
Getting beer currently is overpunishing us for no fucking reason(not to mention that beer was debuffed(was 10 for warm now its 8)), i mean the least they could do is give us a warning and more time to react to the Instant spoilage of wort.

The only way you can do this without micro is if you have researched electricity(heaters and ac's) but without it, it just becomes pain in the ass for tribals(no electricity).
Is this not good game balance though? Tribal starts are hard precisely because their tech sucks. That's why you get a 5-pawn(!) start. Plenty of labor but without an Archimedes in the group, it's going to be slow going at first. Also, historically speaking, I don't believe tribal or indigenous peoples cultivated a lot of alcohol. That was more of a civilization thing (requires infrastructure). It certainly wasn't in the Americas until European colonization. Tribals SHOULD grow a 10x20 plot of smokeleaf, though  8)