Factions Questions

Started by ahowe42, September 01, 2016, 05:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahowe42

Two questions on factions, if I may:

• Why is it that factions who like me only start out liking me around +20, while those who don't hate me around -100? It seems to me it should be more balanced.
  • The other day, I had a visiting friendly faction, when a raid occurred.  The raiders and friendlies got into a firefight, which happily scared off the last-standing raider.  Afterwards, I noticed the friendly faction became my enemy at -12.  I'm pretty sure none of my colonists accidentally shot a friendly.  Is this expected behavior?  It doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Thanks!
Andrew

OFWG

1. Maybe, but I'm not sure what Tynan's reasoning is for that.

2. You must have missed the message the game gives about the friendly fire incident. It could have been your pawns OR your turrets, but someone almost certainly shot the friendlies. In general I hole up my pawns and let the visitors sort out or at least soften up the raid instead of trying to fight alongside.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Serenity

If visitors get harmed even through no fault of your own, you will get blamed for it. Yesterday I had a guy killed by an animal. The chief learned and was not amused.

EDIT: Maybe this comes from the Hospitality mod in my case. Not sure.

Mr.Cross

1. It is balanced, it's to ensure you have at least one enemy. Which will always be a pirate faction.

2. Are any of you using hospitality? 'cause if not that is new and i'm gonna freak the fuck out XD
Claims to know most things.

ThiIsMe007

I see it this way : the game is still in its infancy (alpha), and one doesn't want too many factions to be friendly at this point in game development, so two "bad" can actually make one "good".

PS : I agree with your feedback.

Serenity

Yes, I'm using Hospitality. I thought this was vanilla behavior too, but I could be wrong. Haven't played the game that long.

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: ahowe42 on September 01, 2016, 05:38:53 AM
Two questions on factions

I see it this way : the game is still in its infancy (alpha), and one doesn't want too many factions to be friendly at this point in game development, so two "bad" can actually make one "good".

PS : I agree with your feedback.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Serenity on September 01, 2016, 02:20:36 PM
Yes, I'm using Hospitality. I thought this was vanilla behavior too, but I could be wrong. Haven't played the game that long.

Oh thank god XD, about had a heart attack. No hospitality makes it so if the Visitors gets harmed than their faction becomes angry with you. Good ol' vanilla still has it to where they can duke it out and you can reap the rewards.
Claims to know most things.

ahowe42

Quote from: OFWG on September 01, 2016, 02:11:12 PM
1. Maybe, but I'm not sure what Tynan's reasoning is for that.

2. You must have missed the message the game gives about the friendly fire incident. It could have been your pawns OR your turrets, but someone almost certainly shot the friendlies. In general I hole up my pawns and let the visitors sort out or at least soften up the raid instead of trying to fight alongside.

It's possible, but l doubt it.  In fact, I was careful because I had another incident the other day when the same thing happened.  I was raided while traders were there; in that case, I know I accidentally shot one of the friendlies, and I felt bad.  But they still stayed friendlies.

ahowe42

Quote from: Mr.Cross on September 01, 2016, 02:19:41 PM
1. It is balanced, it's to ensure you have at least one enemy. Which will always be a pirate faction.

2. Are any of you using hospitality? 'cause if not that is new and i'm gonna freak the fuck out
XD

1. It's not balanced.  I always have 2 friendlies and 3 enemies.  The net total is ~20 + ~20 + ~-100 + ~-100 + ~-100 = ~-260.  I.e. a very heavy net enemies.

2.  Nope, no mods at all.

PotatoeTater

It's random, pirates should always be at -100 since they are meant to forever be an enemy while natives can fluctuate since you can ally with them by releasing enough prisoners and/or giving enough silver.
Life is Strange