Alpha Beavers -> (Blood) Locusts

Started by O Negative, September 01, 2016, 03:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Negative

When I play RimWorld, I'm asking to dish out and receive as much pain as possible. You may not agree, and that's fine :D . These are just some thoughts on the Alpha Beavers event:

Problems with Alpha Beavers:
- I love the Alpha Beavers event, but it feels a little bit too silly. And, honestly, a bit too easy to combat. I'm usually able to gun Alpha Beavers down before they consume even 3% of my biome's trees.
- I never really feel like I'm in any danger, especially once I reach the late game. They're just eating trees that I have no use for anymore. If anything, the game just threw free meat and pelts my way.

Suggested change:
- Don't get rid of beavers, or their tree-eating mechanic. It's still awesome!
- Just, replace the Alpha Beaver event with something a bit more... intimidating? The first thing that comes to my mind is a "swarm" of locusts that consume all of the plant life on the map (at least all of the plants they can actually get to without forcing their way into your base), and then they move on.
- If you want bonus brownie points (in my book), you could have them consume any living thing they see (including each other) after all of the vegetation is gone. I'd think of this as a man-hunter pack on steroids ;D

As a side note, I understand that this may never happen. That's okay. I just wanted to entertain the idea, and see how many of you agreed :)

So, please, let me know what you all think! Especially if your name is Tynan Sylvester ;)

Chibiabos

Try playing on ice sheet, or another similar biome where growing seasons are virtually nil and trees and wood are hard to come by.  Some events are worse depending on your game settings.  And while alpha beavers may seem tame to you ... wait 'til you try a harder level game and instead of alpha beavers, you find yourself incurring a manhunter pack of wargs or bears.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

O Negative

I've played all of the different biomes that are available at the moment. I'll admit that I've never escaped after landing on one of the harsher ones, hahaha. So, yeah, ice-sheet is hard and your points about that type of biome are valid, sure. I just don't think Alpha Beavers (as an event) were designed for ice-sheet gameplay as much as they were meant to punish players who frequent forests, which are naturally rich with wood. This is why I find them underwhelming; they don't feel like they're fulfilling their purpose. Then again, maybe that's me interpreting something wrong.

Don't think I haven't experienced plenty of manhunter packs in my time playing RimWorld, either. Wargs and Bears aren't nearly as scary as boomrats and boomalope are, in my opinion. With the right maneuvers and micromanagement, it's easy to fend off standard (tanky) predators. On the other hand, explosive animals are a bit trickier. Anyways, that's beside the point.

*Perhaps, once the game is a bit more rich with events, certain events will be more isolated to particular biomes. That's a huge speculation of course, but just another thought I had to write down :D

Chibiabos

Quote from: O Negative on September 01, 2016, 03:56:16 AM
I just don't think Alpha Beavers (as an event) were designed for ice-sheet gameplay as much as they were meant to punish players who frequent forests

Actually its the reverse.  Alpha beaver events are hardest on players playing on maps with few trees.  Tree-rich maps still have plenty of trees by the time you deal with them.

Its a minor event; manhunter packs are not.  Manhunter packs were even deadlier before a recent patch nerfed them by preventing giant stacks of doom wherein dozens of wargs would occupy the same tile.  Didn't matter how many pawns or turrets you had, there just wasn't any way of dealing with that.  Your odds are a bit better now that they have to spread out some, but its still a much more serious event than alpha beavers.  Alpha beavers isn't meant to be a uber-hard event, but again its harder if you play on a map that has limited trees.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!