Build 379 Discussion

Started by StorymasterQ, March 12, 2014, 09:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorymasterQ

March 12
Internal build 379

• Launch pad replaced with orbital trade beacon. Trade system clarification commences.
  • Mental break probability is much lower.
  • Added a cancel button on the in-progress buildings.
  • Colonists will now sleep on the ground if exhausted.
  • Bills no longer vanish on hitting zero count (you can reactivate them without reconfiguring them).
  • Bill config interface displays ingredient search radius ring.
  • Alerts now have a moving arrow to draw attention to critical alerts. They are draw on top of the letter stack and so are more visible.
  • It is now impossible to place a hopper in an invalid position.
  • Modders can now create custom Def subclasses.
  • Modders can now make custom code to define building placement restricters.
  • Colonists now undraft themselves if they’ve been doing nothing for at least a quarter of a day and there are no enemies on the map.
Discuss! :D

I'm most interested with "Bill config interface displays ingredient search radius ring." (as well as the previous one, but this one, hm :) )
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

TarlTheGamer

-Mental break probability is much lower.

This makes me happy. My guys are such babies and constantly have mental breaks :-)

Jet Jaguar

Lots of great stuff here.

Hooray for those poor colonists standing at attention and trying not to starve to death! They will finally be able to have a hot meal of nutrient paste!

Coenmcj

Or become the nutrient paste

I'm rather interested to see how the new trading will work out, somewhat similar to the older one but with a specified trading location around our ground beacon?.. and then that gets sent into the orbital one or something?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Monkfish

Ooh, interesting changes. I particularly like the un-enlisting, that's handy as I've had a few Colonists have mental breaks and leave as I've accidentally left them enlisted. Useful changes to Bills too!
<insert witty signature here>

Teovald

Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 12, 2014, 09:52:22 PM

• Bills no longer vanish on hitting zero count (you can reactivate them without reconfiguring them).
  • Bill config interface displays ingredient search radius ring.
It does not address my main problem with bills (but maybe it has already been addressed or will be later) : I can't have a  bill that will be recreated automatically each day or week (create x meals) and I plan the construction of something stone based, I then have to manually create the corresponding bill. 
It feels like this system will generate a huge amount of micro gestion when they will be several more types of bills.

FowlJ

Quote from: Teovald on March 13, 2014, 09:06:02 AM
It does not address my main problem with bills (but maybe it has already been addressed or will be later) : I can't have a  bill that will be recreated automatically each day or week (create x meals) and I plan the construction of something stone based, I then have to manually create the corresponding bill. 
It feels like this system will generate a huge amount of micro gestion when they will be several more types of bills.

A 'craft to' option was added back in the end of February, according to the changelog. Colonists will craft more items any time your stock falls below the amount you specify.

dd0029

March 12
Internal build 379

You know, I really hate to be that guy who says you need to make things harder. I hate that idiot. But this is something that's really not that hard to avoid. I believe in the couple dozen games I've played, I have had two guys go crazy. If all else fails, just recruit the guy and have him stand outside. The most common culprits for crazytown are sleep, food, dark and ugly. The first two can be easily solved ensuring there's food and an available bed. The last to are even easier,  just recruit the guy and have him stand outside for an hour or so.

People going crazy is a failure in planning more than anything.

Monkfish

I'm looking forward to that option, mostly so that I don't ever have to micromanage my cooks to prevent starvation/drowning in simple meals. ::)

When is Alpha 3 due (assuming it has a due date)? I had a search and couldn't find anything other than another topic here (with no replies) asking the same question.

Haplo

Quote from: Monkfish on March 13, 2014, 11:15:12 AM
I'm looking forward to that option, mostly so that I don't ever have to micromanage my cooks to prevent starvation/drowning in simple meals. ::)

When is Alpha 3 due (assuming it has a due date)? I had a search and couldn't find anything other than another topic here (with no replies) asking the same question.

That's because Tynan doesn't like to set a definite date. It is done, when it's done  ;)
Personally I think that it'll be around the end of the month, but don't sue me if it isn't, as that is only a guess from my side :)

Monkfish

That's fair enough, I'd prefer a stable update when it's ready rather than a bugged update because DUE DATE. I shall wait patiently.

hurry tynan pls

;)

Lebbrin

On Monday Tynan tweeted...  "Due to GDC and a series of unfortunate technical difficulties, RimWorld Alpha 3 won't be released until some time in April."

Here's hoping early April. :)

Also, being new here I have to ask. Where is the change log posted? I can't seem to find it.
"Shiney, let's be bad guys."

HawkWinters

Quote from: dd0029 on March 13, 2014, 11:04:06 AM
March 12
Internal build 379

You know, I really hate to be that guy who says you need to make things harder. I hate that idiot. But this is something that's really not that hard to avoid. I believe in the couple dozen games I've played, I have had two guys go crazy. If all else fails, just recruit the guy and have him stand outside. The most common culprits for crazytown are sleep, food, dark and ugly. The first two can be easily solved ensuring there's food and an available bed. The last to are even easier,  just recruit the guy and have him stand outside for an hour or so.

People going crazy is a failure in planning more than anything.
I agree. 

My biggest problem with mental break is when it happens during a firefight.  It's realistic, but annoying =3

I find the best way to cope with mental breaks is to arrest them, which makes them berserk.  Once they are thrown into the cell, have your guard leave and let the crazy incapacitate themselves from starvation.  Then just capture and convert.
I fully support the wholesale slaughter of everyone, everywhere, by everyone else. 
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FowlJ

I think the end goal is a more gradual progression from sad to crazypants, though, which I think is a good idea. Making full mental breaks less common would in that case not just be a balance change (though I also think it's silly that a colonist is liable to break a few seconds after going below 10% loyalty) but the first step in doing that.