Make sappers only attack your colony

Started by MeowRailroad, September 01, 2016, 08:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeowRailroad

I just lost a colony because a sapper opened an ancient danger, released the mechs and cryptosleep people, and the mechs and cryptosleepers cancelled out the raiders, but then the ancient danger was left open and an infestation spawned there. It later broke out, and I had to fight it sooner or later but lost because I didn't deal with it sooner. (There was a tribal raid that caught me off guard and burned down my house, so I was pretty busy.) I think if your colonists don't repair damaged walls that you haven't claimed, couldn't the same system be applied for sappers so that they don't attack stuff that isn't yours? I think it would be realistic for them to not attack the first artificial construction they see.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

chaotix14

Most effective sapper wave ever?

Anyways, I don't think they should just attack your colony, since that would make mountain forts much more sapper proof if they don't dig through the surrounding stone. Having them not open up ancient danger locations however I would agree on.

MeowRailroad

Yeah, that was basically what I meant.

I guess it was a Pyrrhic victory for the raiders, long after they lost.
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

eadras

I once had a tribal pawn open an ancient danger room on his way off the map.  So it's not just a sapper issue.

ThiIsMe007

How would the sapper/raider realistically know that *this* wall here doesn't belong to the colony they're assaulting ? Why should it somehow be off-limits ?

There may a larder filled to the brim with food and colonists' goodies right behind it. The sapper/raider just needs to be hungry, greedy or optimistic to imagine it, and to give digging a try.

It's emergent gameplay, I like it (that's just my opinion however).

mumblemumble

I disagree with this, that event sounds hilarious and crazy - Intense,  cascading events are part of what makes rimworld fun. Why should something be banned simply because it can destroy your colony very rarely? Besides that, I'm sure with enough planning you could of killed them.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

O Negative

I understand your frustration.

But, I have to agree with the others on this. Losing to circumstances which are out of your control is part of what makes RimWorld such an amazing experience. I always end up having more fun with losing in different ways than I have with winning in this game (*cough* victory conditions are limited *cough*)

Anyways, there are ways to completely prevent this from happening ever again. They just require you to remove content from the game. Mods. You can mod sappers out of the picture, if you really wanted to. I wouldn't recommend it, but if it suits your playstyle, I say go for it :D

MeowRailroad

I guess this was made in frustration that I lost to such a stupid thing but now that I think about it that series of events was hilarious.

I still miss the colony though.