How to prevent food poisoning?

Started by Sanaart, September 01, 2016, 01:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanaart

Colonists keep getting food poisoning, even from cooked foods... is there a way to prevent it? I was considering perhaps putting sterile tiles in my freezers, but I don't want to spend so much if that doesn't work. Let me know if you know any way!

ThiIsMe007

It would be nice if talented cooks and(see Jimyoda's reply below) healthy nutrition standards were a thing in the game too (seemed pretty intuitive to me, and I had the same reaction/question than you).

MikeLemmer

Well, if it was a proper freezer, there would be shelves you could put the food on. But apparently furniture development in RimWorld stopped after tables & beds. Oh, and potted plants.

Jimyoda

You prevent food poisoning by not having colonists with low cooking skill make meals.

If you have no one with decent cooking skill (say 6 or better) then pick someone who has passion for cooking and only let them butcher to build up their skill. Do NOT let them use the cook stove (or campfire) yet. Instead, get your meals from a nutrient paste dispenser. Make sure the hoppers are taking in the butchered meat. Colonists will get a debuff from eating nutrient paste meals but what you WON'T have is food poisoning.

Then once your 'butcher/cook' reaches a good level (again, about 6), let them use a cook stove (or campfire). To save time, keep an eye out for slaves or pawns from other factions with good cooking skill and try to capture/recruit.

--------
A cook's cooking skill determines their chance to contaminate the meal and cause food poisoning.

Cooking Skill Level | Food Poison Chance %
0    |   20.00
1    |   10.00
2    |   6.00
3    |   4.00
4    |   2.50
5    |   1.80
6    |   1.00
7    |   0.50
8    |   0.30
9    |   0.20
10   |   0.10
11   |   0.08
12   |   0.07
13   |   0.06
14   |   0.05
15   |   0.04
16   |   0.03
17   |   0.02
18   |   0.01
19   |   0.01
20   |   0.01
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: Jimyoda on September 01, 2016, 04:07:13 PMYou prevent food poisoning by not having colonists with low cooking skill make meals.

Thank you for this info, and I stand corrected about cooking skill not mattering, it does as you said :

Environment (for food storage) doesn't seem to matter however.

Sanaart

Monzer

well what does food poisoning even do ? they throw up couple of times then its ok it's not that serious at all am I right ?

cultist

Quote from: ThiIsMe007 on September 01, 2016, 04:21:25 PM

I was under the impression that the cleanliness of the room where the cook stove/campfire is placed also affect food poison chance. Is this wrong?

eadras

Quote from: cultist on September 02, 2016, 02:32:20 AM

I was under the impression that the cleanliness of the room where the cook stove/campfire is placed also affect food poison chance. Is this wrong?
That would be a realistic factor, but I don't think it's implemented at this time.

For Monzer: food poisoning drastically reduces the sick pawn's movement speed (50% I believe?), which greatly impacts their productivity, apart from the frequent stops to vomit.  Vomiting also causes nutrition to be lost.

cultist

Quote from: eadras on September 02, 2016, 03:23:01 AM
food poisoning drastically reduces the sick pawn's movement speed (50% I believe?), which greatly impacts their productivity, apart from the frequent stops to vomit.  Vomiting also causes nutrition to be lost.

It doesn't actually affect movement speed directly, it sets conciousness to 50% max, which in turn affects everything including movement speed.

Pillow Fort

a lot of my chickens are getting food poisoning from eating my corn =/ any ideas?
its in a feezer thats clean, and they are fresh.

carbon

I've a level 14 cook who does all of his work in a dirty kitchen (includes a butchering table), and it's probably been a few seasons since the last I saw anyone with food poisoning, so I don't think there's anything to the idea of dirt = food poisoning idea as of 15c.

I have a retriever who was consistently getting food poisoning early on from raw things like meat and rice. Now that it mainly eats kibble and prepared meals, it also hasn't been getting sick.

As such, I'm guessing raw food is now inherently risky, but it can be made safer for animals by turning it to kibble with a decent level chef.

Britnoth

Quote from: eadras on September 02, 2016, 03:23:01 AM
Quote from: cultist on September 02, 2016, 02:32:20 AM

That would be a realistic factor, but I don't think it's implemented at this time.

For Monzer: food poisoning drastically reduces the sick pawn's movement speed (50% I believe?), which greatly impacts their productivity, apart from the frequent stops to vomit.  Vomiting also causes nutrition to be lost.

Cleanliness of the kitchen has been a factor for at least the last few alphas.

Wex

-50 to consciousnes, means an already sick pawn could die.
Or an injured one. It's terrifying.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

ShadowTani

Quote from: Wex on September 04, 2016, 11:06:20 PM
-50 to consciousnes, means an already sick pawn could die.
Or an injured one. It's terrifying.

Not necessarily. I believe stat losses and caps behave independently. By this I mean, if you have 80% consciousness due to a -20 from other factors, the food poisoning will still just set the consciousness to 50%, not to 30%. Or in other words, stat losses are calculated first, then the cap kicks in if the value is still higher than the cap.