Why split human and animal zones?

Started by Dr. Z, September 01, 2016, 06:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

Is there any reason why humans and animals cant share the same zones besides home zone? Because it's really annoying not being able to set your pet to a certain zone your pawns are set to and to manage every zone like indoor or safe zone twice.
Prasie the Squirrel!

KillTyrant

Quote from: Dr. Z on September 01, 2016, 06:24:06 PM
Is there any reason why humans and animals cant share the same zones besides home zone? Because it's really annoying not being able to set your pet to a certain zone your pawns are set to and to manage every zone like indoor or safe zone twice.

You want humans to reach your fridge whereas you dont want all 200 on your chickens in there. You can also effectively put animals in patrol areas with animal only zones

mumblemumble

kill, you can make 2 zones, but I think his point is you are now forced to make 4 zones for open, and lockdown, open and lock for humans, and open / lock for animals. If I want to be lazy and make zones where animals can enter my fridge, it should be up to me.

This has also irked me, and makes zones too complicated.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

MikeLemmer

I think it's to reduce the number of zones that are displayed in the Assigned and Animals windows. After all, they're listed horizontally there; it'd get quite crowded with 6-8 zones.

stu89pid

I think you should put this in the suggestions and I agree.

While most players will want to restrict their animals to different areas than their pawns, there is no need the zones need to be specific for one or the other.

stu89pid

Quote from: MikeLemmer on September 01, 2016, 06:53:09 PM
I think it's to reduce the number of zones that are displayed in the Assigned and Animals windows. After all, they're listed horizontally there; it'd get quite crowded with 6-8 zones.
Good point, they could change that to a drop down menu instead of the current display to fix this.

ThiIsMe007

A "copy area from (any)" feature would be welcome too, to keep roughly the same area for pets but quickly exclude them from rooms I just don't want them to enter ever, like hospitals.

RazorHed

I like the copy area idea. Another thing could be a restriction per zone thing like a check box if animals are allowed in a freezer, bedroom, or dining room etc

mumblemumble

Quote from: MikeLemmer on September 01, 2016, 06:53:09 PM
It could just be switched to display vertically. I do think it would be easier overall.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

cultist

Quote from: ThiIsMe007 on September 01, 2016, 07:03:58 PM
A "copy area from (any)" feature would be welcome too, to keep roughly the same area for pets but quickly exclude them from rooms I just don't want them to enter ever, like hospitals.

This. I am spending way too much of my gametime creating and re-creating zones of all kinds, fiddling with priorities and allowances. I know it's a part of the game, but I think it's taking up too much of the player's time.

skullywag

Get fluffys zone mod allows you to have more than 5 of each, its like the most important mod hes made imo. The split between animals and human is done due to performance i think, also the reason its limited. Its to do with pathfinding.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Pillow Fort

having 2 exactly the same zones, one for animals and one for humans, does not benefit performance when exactly the same things can be done with 1 for both animals and humans.

...now if u have 20, different story.

skullywag

it does when those things are checking those zones, it helps to filter out things that arent required, im not saying it cant be done using 1, just that it isnt and there are reasons. Im with you this is one part of the game that i dislike, fluffys mod makes it acceptable.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?