Reworking Leathers

Started by Zeneth, September 01, 2016, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeneth

It seems my stockpiles are always full with leathers from different animals, but I cant even put it to use making clothes because its never more than 50 leather for each kind of animal. Its creating a big problem with storage because I cant do anything with it, so basically my suggestion is to make animals drop all the same item, maybe called "leather" (or animal leather and such). As for colours, maybe a something you can research to dye the leather? Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

cultist

I agree it's a bit annoying but remember that leather degrades very slowly (enough that it will never be an issue) even outside and it has a large beauty penalty, so you can safely store it outside your main base if you have too much. It's also listed with flamability 0% but I never actually checked it if burns or not.

Barazen

Personally id just like to see more done with leather, like tribal tarp doors (doesnt restrict movement for anything, but still slows you down, also traps a small amount of heat)

Maybe tents? Or a tribal style bed thats maybe just leather and wood...

I feel like the lack of options for leather could be easily remidied with the lack of neolithic content. Two birds one stone kinda deal.
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

Serenity

If you get the right trader you can sell the small amounts and keep the ones you have lots of.

Wex

Maybe you could use it for tapestry.
You know, beauty and isolation.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

CannibarRechter

My "Supply Chain" (see sig) mod allows you to take any assortment of leathers and craft it into "studded leather". If you don't want the leather to be armor-like, it would be easy enough to add another leather type. I haven't updated to A15 yet, though.

You can also convert all meat to jerky in the mod. And convert all cloth types to a universal fabric (although I would recommend not doing that for synthread or hyperweave, as the special fabric isn't worth as much).
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

cap75

DariusWolfe

I've already made a suggestion like this on the weekly Reddit threads, but I'd like all leather to count as "leather" for crafting purposes, the same way all meat and vegetables count as the same for cooking purposes; a cook can take mixed quantities of meat for a Simple Meal, after all.

The argument against is that different leathers have different qualities, but I can't imagine that's too difficult to resolve; just average the different qualities based on the relative quantities of the types of leather used.

My other suggestion was classes of meat and leather that stack; like boomrats, squirrels and Yorkshire terriers give "Rodent Meat" or something similar.

BlueWinds

One other option might be to reduce the individual leathers to a few groups, similar to  the way you get "bird meat" several different animals.

"Small pelts" -> rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, etc.
"Reptile leather" -> Cobra, iguana, tortise, etc.
"Large pelts" -> Wolves, wargs, great cats, bears
"Leather" -> Cows, pigs, elk, deer, etc.
"You monster" -> Cats, humans

Then you can still have different stats, and keep a couple of special types (thrumbofur, human leather) for uniqueness / variety.

Serenity

Quote from: BlueWinds on September 02, 2016, 06:01:32 PM
One other option might be to reduce the individual leathers to a few groups, similar to  the way you get "bird meat" several different animals.
That's probably the best solution :)

This would also reduce storage clutter.