Cheap/Easy? Implement floating combat text

Started by userfredle, March 14, 2014, 04:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

userfredle

This is a feature that i find very very nice to have in most games, I know the damage in rimworld is a bit static right now with no armor, but none the less i would like to see the difference in weapons without going online or waiting for a certain raider to get shot.

Monkfish

Erm, okay. So, what's your suggestion? What's the problem and how are you proposing it is fixed?
<insert witty signature here>

userfredle

Quote from: Monkfish on March 14, 2014, 04:57:10 PM
Erm, okay. So, what's your suggestion? What's the problem and how are you proposing it is fixed?
I dont have a problem with the game, im just simply suggesting they add floating damage so i know what damage my weapons do in game, Plus i just really  like watching number float from damage in games

keylocke

the problem with this is that raiders often times end up stacking on top of each other, so you probably won't be able to see damage numbers anyway.

StorymasterQ

Maybe the damage could be shown next to their names. Currently if a Pawn (both Colonist and Raider) is not at full health, their names have a health bar thing as the background, right? So perhaps any damage can be shown next to it.

And to the stacking problem, perhaps the game can make sure that names (and therefore health bars) never overlap.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Tynan

The real issue is that I'm intending on changing hitpoints to a more story-oriented injury tracking system, which would change this design a lot.

I'll have to look at this again after the wound system is in a more final form. Floating indicators may be possible, but they won't be just numbers.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

Hmm, so perhaps a body-part icon as well as numbers to indicate damage to a particular area, then? Sounds good.

Can there be damage to different areas due to a single burst shot? So, for example, can a single 4-burst shot of a turret do damage to a Raider's left hand, right hand, left leg, and right leg simultaneously? That would make a great story. Maybe even an achievement: Auto-Paraplegia. Grim.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

Monkfish

Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 16, 2014, 10:38:44 PM
Hmm, so perhaps a body-part icon as well as numbers to indicate damage to a particular area, then? Sounds good.
Sounds like it would be a god-awful mess. It'd probably be fine with ~10 raiders on screen but with a large party of 20+ it would likely just be a laggy floating number clusterfuck.

Also, what is this? World of Warcraft? ;D
<insert witty signature here>

StorymasterQ

Just be lucky it's not a message window system.
"Vas shot Raider A"
"Raider A received 12 damage."
"Raider A has died."

Who's up for Rimworld RPG?

starlight

Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 17, 2014, 08:15:38 PM
Just be lucky it's not a message window system.
"Vas shot Raider A"
"Raider A received 12 damage."
"Raider A has died."

Who's up for Rimworld RPG?

I would actually like a Window like this.  Neverwinter Nights Nostalgia (NNN). Was bad there coz of too many messages.

Note that DF has very detailed combat logs, but a message window would be really cool. Would let you look at it *while* the action was happening.